Dynamic Video Streaming using VLC?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
khuankhuan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Dynamic Video Streaming using VLC?

Postby khuankhuan » 02 Nov 2011 17:42

This is my first post so please don't flame me if I posted this question at the wrong place.

I am a Uni student that are currently working on a "Dynamic Video Streaming Platform" project, vlc seems to fit this role well, however through searching, I notice that there were no topic related to Dynamic Video Streaming are being discussed. So my question is, is this doable in VLC?

Any answers or suggestions are much appreciated, hope to have some guide before I kick into vlc. Thanks!

khuankhuan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Dynamic Video Streaming using VLC?

Postby khuankhuan » 15 Nov 2011 03:35

No one could answer my question? Help is much needed over here.

Just to give more information on what I intend to do:

I wish to perform Adaptive bitrate streaming similar to what is shown here: http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming
The method that I am going to use is to have a several similar video files, but with each encoded in different bitrate, so that VLC can choose to stream which file to the client based on the quality of the bandwidth of the client.

However currently I am stuck at where should I add the switch code (from one bitrate to another) into VLC. Is it appropriate to implement the switch code in the access module? or should I implement the switch by using libVLC? Will the delay of loading modules by VLC impact the smooth-ness of the switch?

Please any advice or suggestions are most welcome! Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Nov 2011 09:39

There is already a Dash and a HLS implementation in VLC...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

khuankhuan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby khuankhuan » 15 Nov 2011 11:53

Yes I am aware of DASH and HLS (although it is to be available in v1.2).
However currently my project is to implement another method of delivering multi bitrate videos by having multiple video source files, for example, 5 video files encoded with different bit rate.

Currently I am confused on where to implement the switch logic in VLC to switch from streaming different video source files. For example, switch to stream video_200kbps.mpeg to the receiver from streaming video_150kbps.mpeg when the bandwidth condition is good.

tayapski
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tayapski » 19 Mar 2012 19:09

I am also interested in this idea. Are there any updates on this? Thanks.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”