Host OS suggestion

Feature requests for VLC.
dontmakemehurtu

Host OS suggestion

Postby dontmakemehurtu » 28 Apr 2005 04:59

Linux Qtopia™, Archos PMA400

The media player in this hard-drive based device is terrible. VLC would complement it more than adequately by allowing it to play more media types than already possible; it can only play MPEG-4 video and MP3, WMA and WAV audio.

I'm not a developer and am terribly sorry I won't be able to contribute in that sense.

An SDK for this platform is announced as "Coming Soon." So I ask developers to keep an eye out for this. I definately plan on getting this device as well as other Archos faithfuls and I, personally, would love having VLC on it.

Here's the link.

I know that the VLC media player is a very involved project and there are already packages of VLC for other handheld devices that need a lot of work and hands and brains available. I am only humbly requesting that there be someone who could try and make one for this device as well.

P.S. I will try to contribute by (first waiting for the SDK and then) downloading the source and using the basic compile instructions and reporting back to you. Maybe since it costs $800, I could get one (or funds could be collected to obtain one) and donate it to this endeavor should you chose to pursue it.

E-mail me at r_rodriguez0 at hotmail dot com. Precede your subject with VLC, if you please.

P.P.S. Down with patents!!

dontmakemehurtu

Postby dontmakemehurtu » 01 Jul 2005 05:07

I just found out today. The SDK for the Archos PMA 400 has been released.

Here's the link.

feyip
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Host OS suggestion

Postby feyip » 15 May 2008 20:44

Could the Zaurus install be amended to work on the PMA400? I've tried installing that version on the PMA, and it compiles, but doesn't appear to complete. I've often read that the PMA is a Zaurus on steroids (and the newer Archos wireless devices are based on the PMA), so it should be possible to port it across.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”