Time elapsed is wrong for long movies

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
viewport
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Time elapsed is wrong for long movies

Postby viewport » 24 Aug 2011 10:37

The movie is more than 3 hours long.

VLC shows it (in "time position, time elapsed" at bottom right) as 02:58:10

Since the time elapsed is wrong, attaching a .srt file to the movie won't play the subtitle correctly. All other movies can use said .srt file.

Is this a known bug? Seems I've seen it for as long as vlc is around.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Time elapsed is wrong for long movies

Postby VLC_help » 24 Aug 2011 17:46

Have you tried to remux the movie?

viewport
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby viewport » 25 Aug 2011 12:33

No, I didn't remux the movie, but I suspect it can work to remove any VLC-incompatible issues.

I'm hoping that VLC's handling of subtitles' timing can be based on real clock, not couple to the "time elapsed" of the movie. That way, whether or not VLC can get the correct elapsed timing of the movie, VLC can still correctly display the subtitles. Is there a setting for this?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Aug 2011 15:41

That way, whether or not VLC can get the correct elapsed timing of the movie, VLC can still correctly display the subtitles. Is there a setting for this?
No. It wouldn't work any better if there are corrupted sections in the video, since VLC wouldn't know how much has been skipped.

viewport
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby viewport » 26 Aug 2011 17:25

I don't understand. Actually, the video concerned plays perfectly in VLC. Just that VLC reads back the "time elapsed" wrong. I've checked this with so many other movies. It's the length; this movie is more than 3 hours long. Other movies show the "Time elapsed" just fine. And consequently, they also play along with the said .srt file perfectly in sync.

So, if VLC were to play back the .srt file against real time, and not the read "time elapsed", then everything would work out perfectly.

Is there an option to get VLC to play back .srt files against real time?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 27 Aug 2011 14:32

Is there an option to get VLC to play back .srt files against real time?
No.

viewport
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby viewport » 01 Sep 2011 09:33

Erm, can we make one? I can help.

Given that VLC is very adaptable, able to play just about any format, it seems a shame that a big part of it (subtitles) should be defeated by some incompatibilities.

Like I said, the movie plays back just fine. Only problem is the "Time Elapsed" info. VLC is messed up about that info, and it screws itself up when trying to playback subtitles (.srt).

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Sep 2011 16:39

The file most prolly has messed up info. If you think VLC indexes that file incorrectly, then share us a sample file so I can open trac ticket for this.

viewport
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby viewport » 03 Sep 2011 05:44

The file most prolly has messed up info. If you think VLC indexes that file incorrectly, then share us a sample file so I can open trac ticket for this.
Sigh. Ok, lemme try to rephrase this. If VLC plays back .srt files against real time, instead of against the movies' "Time Elapsed" figure, then VLC will be able to play back MY .srt file perfectly. This is irregardless of whether the movie has messed up info or not.

My point being that VLC is so strong and adaptive, it is able to play back any messed up movie. Yet, it fumbles when playing back .srt file, simply because it ties the .srt file playback to the movie's messed up "Time Elapsed" figure.

The movie is on DVD. Lord of the Rings, real long movie, extended version. I can't possibly correct any messed up info on the DVD, can I? It's a collectible, so I'd rather not have to keep a separate "corrected version" on the side. In fact, I do remember VLC fumbling on "Time Elapsed" figure for just about ANY long movie (more than 3 hours).

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Sep 2011 12:56

I understand what you want, but currently there isn't any way to make that happen.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”