WebPlugin works with Firefox but not IE

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
fly135
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

WebPlugin works with Firefox but not IE

Postby fly135 » 28 Jun 2011 19:21

I'm able to get the web plugin to work fine with Firefox but no luck with IE. I'm streaming H264 with RTSP/RTP.

Seems like IE responds to <object classid=clsid.... statement, whereas Firefox responds to the <embed type="application/x-vlc-plugin... statement.

Anyone had any luck getting IE to use the WebPlugin? I'm using rtsp://192.168.1.102 as the targetURL (it's the IP of the streaming device). This URL works fine in Firefox and in VLC app.

I get all the warnings from IE but tell it to allow content to run. I wonder if it's blocking the RTSP commands comming from the plugin.

John A

ArnoBor
New Cone
New Cone

Re: WebPlugin works with Firefox but not IE

Postby ArnoBor » 29 Jun 2011 11:52

Hey John,

I recently got VLC to work in my application, the only line of HTML i use is:
<object classid="clsid:9BE31822-FDAD-461B-AD51-BE1D1C159921" codebase="http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... /axvlc.cab" id="vlc" name="vlc" width="547" height="307" events="true"></object>

Also i had problems testing from a local source, so i put it all on a webserver which helped me a great deal with testing.
If you run into specific issues i can be of help.

fly135
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: WebPlugin works with Firefox but not IE

Postby fly135 » 30 Jun 2011 16:52

Hi ArnoBor,

That cab file is from an old version. I noticed that the new versions don't have a cab file anymore. When I look at the registry it seems that the axvlc.dll is the same pluging for ActiveX and Mozilla, just accessed differently. Where ActiveX uses the ClasssID and Mozilla uses the plugin name. But both point to the same DLL in the registry. Just that the activex doesn't work.

I will try the cab file and see how it does.

Return to “Web and scripting”