[VLCJ] Instant record capture device

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
Jake
New Cone
New Cone

[VLCJ] Instant record capture device

Postby Jake » 21 May 2011 02:31

Hi!

I need to record short and suddenly occurring events with a webcam. Therefore i'm creating a application to do this. The problem i'm facing is that it takes a while for the webcam to load in VLC and therefore i miss to record the event.

Do you guys have any ideas how i can achieve this instant recording using vlc and vlcj?

/Jake

PS. first post =)

hussam_2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: [VLCJ] Instant record capture device

Postby hussam_2000 » 23 May 2011 06:15

I'm still supprized how clickable recording is not available in vlc API. I mean there is recording and I got it to work but u have to start recording once you receive the stream. U can achieve that by adding an output line that inclues the file name and extention in your option string when you initialize vlc. Someone told me that he had to hack the api to have a clickable recording but I'm no hacker so I don't know how he did it :)...... anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jake
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jake » 25 May 2011 15:48

That is too bad. What other crossplatform solution than vlc can do this?

hussam_2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hussam_2000 » 27 May 2011 03:43

I would look into mplayer API which is capable of doing a lot of great stuff but I prefer VLC. u can start recording from the beginning and use a video editing app to delete unwanted scenes. VLC has been doing a lot of great stuff for me @ work :)

sherington
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby sherington » 27 May 2011 08:25

I've got this working with my own patched libvlc.

However I'm not sure that it's generally useful since you have no control over the encoding of the video, or the file name and so on. I'm also not sure whether it's a good 'fit' for the libvlc API.

Return to “Development around libVLC”