Hindi Subtitles Don't Display

macOS specific usage questions
satori6
New Cone
New Cone

Hindi Subtitles Don't Display

Postby satori6 » 19 May 2011 16:12

Hello all,

I am attempting to play an .m4v file (and other file types in the future) with Hindi subtitles (Devanagari script) in VLC on a Mac.

The problem is NOT that the subtitles are showing incorrectly (as ??? or boxes), but simply not displaying at all. I checked whether it was a unicode issue by inserting Japanese and English into the same .srt file. They display with no problems.

I have changed all the text defaults and render settings and done tons of searching online. Everything seems to be fine, but the subtitles still don't display.

Please help, I am getting desperate!

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Hindi Subtitles Don't Display

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 May 2011 01:00

Can you share the messages?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Sourabh rai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sourabh rai » 03 Oct 2017 07:39

Vlc for Android directly support Hindi subtitles .
No tweaking needed.
But why pc version don't support Hindi subtitles.

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Postby InTheWings » 03 Oct 2017 10:05

defaut font does not provides those unicode chars ?
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

yetisyny
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yetisyny » 31 Oct 2017 17:48

Try setting your subtitle font to the font Devanagari MT, which comes with macOS, and tell us whether the problem is fixed or still happens. That is a font that supports the Devanagari characters and ought to be able to display them properly. Also see if setting the default encoding to Universal (UTF-8) helps too, I would assume that any subtitle file with Devanagari characters would probably be encoded as UTF-8. Those settings are both in Preferences, Subtitles/OSD.

If you have already tried this and it still does not work then this probably really is a bug. But I would just try those settings just to make sure, there is still a small possibility that might fix things. Then again since you say “I have changed all the text defaults and render settings and done tons of searching online. Everything seems to be fine, but the subtitles still don't display.” it is likely you have already tried this.

I would also mention that some recent versions of VLC have had a subtitle display bug regarding .ASS format subtitles, but since you are using the .SRT format, I highly doubt that bug applies. Just in case it does apply though, I suggest you try running VLC version 2.2.4 which is unaffected by the current .ASS subtitle display bug in versions 2.2.5, 2.2.5.1, and 2.2.6 (and which will be fixed in 2.2.7 once it comes out). I doubt that will fix the problem either but still it MIGHT work.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”