viewing and streaming 40 videos at once

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
copekyle
New Cone
New Cone

viewing and streaming 40 videos at once

Postby copekyle » 10 May 2011 04:26

So I'm not sure if this is possible with the current VLC capabilities. I have 40 UDP videos that I have set up to display using the VLC Mosaic filter. The problem is that I can only few 12 at a time with out VLC crashing. I need the capability to view all 40 and then stream the entire mosaic via udp back to the network. I know my current processor is limiting me (running at 100% cpu) but before I go all out and build a monster PC to handle this, I need to know if VLC is capable of supporting this? If not, is there a better program for this application? If VLC can handle it, what kind of powerhouse PC should I build to support it? I have no budget restraints for this project.

Thanks
Kyle

copekyle
New Cone
New Cone

Re: viewing and streaming 40 videos at once

Postby copekyle » 10 May 2011 04:29

Also, the videos I am receiving are in MP4 format and I want to output just the same. I do not need audio. Just need to view the videos.

copekyle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby copekyle » 10 May 2011 04:36

I've been reading that I can skip frames when getting these videos. I don't know how to do this but it is an option as I am just using the mosaic as a viewing screen to make sure the videos are on. I will be opening them separately to actually view detail. What is the setting to view every other frame? (or less)

chinook70
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chinook70 » 18 May 2011 01:28

I am going to assume that by UDP video you are referring to UDP Streams. I do not know if you can do this on just any PC.

I have a server with a Xeon Quad Core chip in it and just streaming out content via VLC to our IPTV network, I am able to pump content for 36 local channels out and the system barely notices the load. The network load is about 130Mbps for those 36 UDP streams. The server is not displaying content and all content is encoded as needed by the set top box. If you could use VLC (cvlc) and have a server create the mosaic using VLC and then just restream it out (which I am also doing, sans mosaic) and then use a PC to view that new stream, then you should be good to go.

copekyle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby copekyle » 08 Jun 2011 09:27

That is correct, I am using UDP Streams. I have been playing with this a while trying to get it to work with the current PC setup and have now come to the conclusion that I just don't have enough power. Time for a new build. This brings up some questions. Would I be better to view the streams on the local PC and then just connect the PC to an IP encoder to broadcast? Or does it use more resources to view than it does to restream?

Also, could you give me the specs on your build and any advice on things you would change? My budget is set at 999.99 (anything over that requires approval be someone other than me ;) )

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”