why the cone?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
systemm

why the cone?

Postby systemm » 09 Jun 2005 07:05

ok SO I searched these words:

"logo"
"cone"
"symbo"l
"icon"

and "what the hell is the cone for?"

so really.... why is a cone the logo for VLC media player?
is it because it is always under construction?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 09 Jun 2005 19:29

This is what people told me (it would need to be confirmed by really old devs)

On day, people from the VIA association (VIA is a students' network association with many clubs ... amongst those is VideoLAN. More info here : http://www.via.ecp.fr ) came back drunk with a cone. They then began a cone collection (which is now quite impressive i must say). Some time later, the VideoLAN project began and they decided to use the cone as their logo.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

amonamarth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amonamarth » 16 Mar 2007 12:24

Never asked myself this question but really you are right what's the cone for and the use of colours ? it reminds me of the 3-rd grade :) but you have a good lead i think because it always under development. But not in a bad way i think i mean it's not buggy or smthng just constantly improving right ?

Tombigel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Tombigel » 16 Mar 2007 13:16

They then began a cone collection (which is now quite impressive i must say). Some time later, the VideoLAN project began and they decided to use the cone as their logo.
How come there is no Gallery of this collection here?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Mar 2007 13:54

Never asked myself this question but really you are right what's the cone for and the use of colours ? it reminds me of the 3-rd grade :) but you have a good lead i think because it always under development. But not in a bad way i think i mean it's not buggy or smthng just constantly improving right ?
Always easy to find an explanation afterwards. This cone is not more stupid than any other logo, it has a fun meaning and tag the project as really different of other craps :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

amonamarth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amonamarth » 17 Mar 2007 06:31

one day after i improve my programming skills i would like to create a tank game similar to pocket tanks only in 3d. I really like OpenGL so i think i'll use it to build my game. Should i be worried about the logo / icons ? :P
anyway i was wondering : how many hours a project like vlc requires ? ( per week)

amonamarth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amonamarth » 19 Mar 2007 20:53

no really can it be done solo ? i know it's pretty hard but how much experience do you need ? and one final thing ... Is it really expensive to make your product known ? i mean marketing you know...

amonamarth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amonamarth » 21 Mar 2007 00:15

this is my last post : can u tell me please the info. I really want to start working on my OpenGL project. Can i do it by myself ? and what about the marketing ?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”