No Tools Menu. How to rotate?

macOS specific usage questions
tommy89
New Cone
New Cone

No Tools Menu. How to rotate?

Postby tommy89 » 03 May 2011 21:47

I have a .MOV file made with my iPhone. The video has the wrong orientation and I want to rotate it. There is no longer any QT Pro, and iMovie '11 won't rotate, and I don't want to have to "buy" any app. This should not be such a big deal. All I want to do is rotate the video and then RE-SAVE it as a .MOV file again.

I've read various FAQs and forum posts regarding how to rotate videos with VLC, but they all involve some "Tools" Menu. My VLC version (the latest, 1.1.9) for Mac has no "Tools". None of the other menu options, including "Extended Controls" seem to support a "Rotate" options.

I did a search on the forums and didn't find this issue of "no tools" addressed.
How does one do this?

Thanks!

crackstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.0-git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: No Tools Menu. How to rotate?

Postby crackstone » 04 May 2011 13:38

What about:

Window -> Extended Controls -> Video filter (dropdown) -> Transformation

To get the correct rotation you can set the transformation in the Preferences (All) -> Video -> Transformation -> Choose your transform type from dropdown.

Afterwards save that and resave the video (although I didn't try that resaving part - could work with the wizard...)

//crackstone

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 05 May 2011 10:23

I'm currently reworking this window for VLC 1.2 btw., so rotating will become a lot easier.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

VLCmac
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VLCmac » 21 Jul 2011 18:52

I'm having the same problem -- in the latest version of VLC I can download for mac (1.1.11), there is no "transform" option under extended controls/video filter or under preferences. is there any other way to rotate an image?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”