WTV Playback

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
deltatux
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

WTV Playback

Postby deltatux » 20 Jun 2009 21:56

Hey guys,

My media centre is currently running Windows 7 RC. It records in the WTV format. Is there anyway to watch it on VLC? I know the old dvr-ms format works for VLC.

Many thanks,
deltatux

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: WTV Playback

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Jun 2009 15:19

Can you share a file?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

zotric
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zotric » 14 Nov 2010 16:22

I see posts going back over a year on this. MS has moved the goalposts again.
Unfortunately, everyone who wants to stay in the game must follow.
No point in trying to be a hero. So is there areason why VLC still cannot use WTV files?
.WTV is the format used by Media Center on Windows 7, at least.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Nov 2010 15:26

So is there areason why VLC still cannot use WTV files?
AFAIK nobody is working with this. There has been some work done for FFMpeg so VLC support should come eventually.

nickmford
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nickmford » 27 Mar 2011 07:35

looks to be working in the latest vlc update, at least on OSX. Got sound and video for my wtv files recorded in windows 7 media center. I can confirm that fast forward works, skipping etc.

gggirlgeek
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gggirlgeek » 10 Apr 2011 06:01

I just tried 1.1.8, 1.1.9 and 1.2.0 nightly on Win7 32bit. I do not get an error message anymore when trying to play a .wtv file but I hear no audio. There was one file where I heard spotty audio coming in and out every few seconds, but the vast majority play none. All other file types play fine, and wtv files play fine in Media Center. I don't use Windows Media Player and don't want to open it at all.

I tried files from various TV channels. All were recorded on digital TV channels, not analog (OTA antenna, USA.) some in HD some not. I am using a pinnacle HDTV usb adapter if that matters. I believe it records in mpeg by default. I've installed no codecs and am using vlc with default settings.

Is there something I am supposed to install or set up?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Apr 2011 15:09

Could you share us one non-working file?

a171276
New Cone
New Cone

Postby a171276 » 11 Apr 2011 18:09

Hi,

First post! I too can confirm that this works in VLC on Windows 7. Why would I want this? Because it loads so much quicker, is a standard interface, and means that it will play back on everything!

@ Ggirgeek: Have you made sure you've got the correct audio stream? I found that I needed to change to the second stream as the first was audio description for some channels.

Just one problem, which may be in the pipeline or already fixed: In the UK, Freeview, (so DVB-T, I think), the subtitles are correctly listed as English. But when I choose this for a "known-good" source - such as a WTV file that plays with subs in WMC - it doesn't display the subtitles.

For files recorded using MythTV (on Windows) VLC does show the subtitles, so I know that it can see them in the multiplex that is broadcast and saved, just not, it seems, in the wrapper for WTV.

Anyway, keep up the very good work!

gggirlgeek
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gggirlgeek » 22 Apr 2011 17:26

I'd be happy to record a clip on one of the channels that won't play in VLC but I'm confuse: Aren't WTV files unsharable outside the network or keyed device? I thought that was the whole point to the stupid new file format. Also, wouldn't I get kicked out by Videolan admins for copy righted material, since all TV is?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Apr 2011 14:55

Aren't WTV files unsharable outside the network or keyed device? I thought that was the whole point to the stupid new file format. Also, wouldn't I get kicked out by Videolan admins for copy righted material, since all TV is?
They should work if you record free channels, And short sample files are OK, we won't ban people for samples that are meant for bug fixing/debugging.

pagoda100
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pagoda100 » 29 Jun 2011 22:20

I have the same problem as gggirlgeek -- no audio with .wtv file when played with VLC on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

I havent seen any update on this issue for quite a while. I don't know if gggirlgeek solved the problem or not. Would be grateful for some news from anyone.

Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Jun 2011 15:44

Open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start playback. Then after few seconds of playback, hit pause and paste those messages here (or to pastebin in case this forum complains something).

a171276
New Cone
New Cone

Postby a171276 » 28 Aug 2011 12:14

@VLC_Help the messages that appear in the debug window for the subtitles are
dvbsub debug: invalid data identifier
It seems to generate this message everytime it tries to render subtitles - they appear multiple times.
Thanks!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Aug 2011 15:15

That error means that subtitles have incorrect info, the demuxer handles them badly or that there is a bug in dvdsub module.

Gesta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gesta » 17 Feb 2016 18:10

Is it possible that the wtv subs and the sound will come to work in vlc?

Gesta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gesta » 21 Feb 2016 14:19

Hello is there an answer to this plz.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”