Need Assistance with Streaming

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Pac300
New Cone
New Cone

Need Assistance with Streaming

Postby Pac300 » 11 Apr 2011 18:42

I was looking to use VLC to stream .avi to the web so I've been trying to read and follow the wiki best I can and I ended up using this solution http://wiki.videolan.org/Stream_VLC_to_ ... lash__.flv which is well and good I manage to get my desktop to stream into a FlowPlayer object however there is some hitches, for some reason when you begin the stream it is black for about 2 minutes, then the picture slowly fills after a while you have a picture but it updates extremely slow and despite the slowness of the stream the quality is less then desirable and I've been playing around with the command line I'm using which is:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv screen:// :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=102400,ab=51200,scale=1,fps=30,width=1280,height=720,acodec=mp3,samplerate=44100}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http{mime=video/x-flv},mux=ffmpeg{mux=flv},dst=66.225.232.212:8080/stream.flv}}
But I think the crux of the issue is VLC is trying to limit the bandwidth to about 600bytes/second the system I will be doing my streaming on is a Win2k8 server w/ gigabit connection so I'm not really concerned an awful lot about bandwidth usage as I am more so after quality so does anyone have any tips on allowing VLC to utilize more bandwidth to get a nicer / more responsive picture?

Pac300
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Need Assistance with Streaming

Postby Pac300 » 11 Apr 2011 19:31

Actually it may have just been a case of using screen:// was an awful test I found a little test AVI I'm using now but the question still remains what I want to be tweaking in that command line to maximize quality

Greg
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Need Assistance with Streaming

Postby Greg » 11 Apr 2011 21:07

1280 x720 @30fps is going to need some very serious cpu power to do the encoding.

I would start off with half that scale say 640x360 ( you will prob need a good quad core for that) or less. Then increase the scaling to the point where you cpu fails to deliver the optimum quality/framerate result
You can set the display size in Flowplayer at whatever you like.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”