option to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 format

Feature requests for VLC.
Mogi

16:9 for Letterboxed movies

Postby Mogi » 04 Jun 2005 13:44

OK, I found it. Very deeply hidden,: if, from the extended options, zoom to 1,399 is selected, and from Video -> filters -> crop (second appearance) crop aspect ratio to 16:9 is selected, the letterboxed movies are displayed without black bars on a 16:9 display. Great!

I would surely love to see a menu entry like "crop to 16:9" doing those settings, maybe on the fly without having to stop the movie.

Anyway: great piece of software!

Tholek
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tholek » 08 Jun 2005 02:43

Why, oh why, is there not a free aspect option? :?

I used to think VLC was the all around ultimate player until I noticed that I have to use DivX player to view certain files. Sadly, DivX player uses more resources, but it makes up for that by letting me right click on the video to get all those choices.

The fact that even some aspect options were removed from VLC (they worked for some, and the rest could've ignored the option), is amazing unto itself, and so is shifting the blame to the encoder. There will ALWAYS be odd aspect files out there, and VLC needs to allow for that. It isn't the player it's cracked up to be if it doesn't at least have functionality a lesser player like DivX player has.

Free aspect is essential. Plain and simple.

I hope to see it ported in soon.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”