Bind Play/Pause to left mouse click

Feature requests for VLC.
chastiser
New Cone
New Cone

Bind Play/Pause to left mouse click

Postby chastiser » 14 Feb 2011 19:10

I really would like to use VLC more often but this is keeping me away.

At first I remember VLC didn't support binding volume to the mouse wheel, I see now that its changed GOOD.

BUT why can't I bind my mouse left lick to Play/Pause? That is the feature EVERYBODY uses. Almost any other media player or video site are able to pause with a single mouse click!

Media Player Classic
BSplayer
YouTube
Vimeo

they all are able to pause the video with a click of a mouse. This is the basic feature that I can't live without. What if I have a wireless mouse and just one to play pause my videos like in any other program?

Thank You very much for fixing the scroll wheel volume issue at least.

chastiser
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Bind Play/Pause to left mouse click

Postby chastiser » 14 Feb 2011 19:16

One more thing why sometimes when I try to adjust a volume with my mouse wheel the video instead skips the video? Is it possible to make scroll wheel do only ONE thing. I am afraid to adjust volume now because it skips my video forward. As far as I see there is no way to change that.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2011 19:35

Because, if you bind play/pause to left click, how do you manage DVD menus?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

chastiser
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chastiser » 14 Feb 2011 21:09

But somehow BSplayer and MediaPlayerClassic are able to do it?

Can you at least implement a choice. I for one use it to watch internet streams and never a DVD

anovy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby anovy » 15 Feb 2011 12:07

I'm also missing a posibility to play/pause with a mouse click. Not with a left button, I'm using the middle button for this, e.g. in Media Player Classic. Using left button for play/pause is not convenient, because left click has also other functions, for example mentioned DVD menus, next left double-click switches full screen mode, so if you bind play/pause to left button, then each full screen switching with mouse also pauses the movie, etc.

Anyway it would be really great to add to VLC a possibility to bind also mouse clicks, not only keystrokes (like in MPC). If this is much work, then at least fixed binding of play/pause to some mouse button will be appreciated (and I think the middle button is best for this).

Basic and quick control of the player only with mouse (without keayboard) is really essential.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Feb 2011 12:21

Yes, this would be a good idea, once we've finished the vout rework.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

anovy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby anovy » 15 Feb 2011 12:31

Thanks, and sorry for double post.

PolishLebowski
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PolishLebowski » 01 Mar 2011 12:00

One more thing why sometimes when I try to adjust a volume with my mouse wheel the video instead skips the video? Is it possible to make scroll wheel do only ONE thing. I am afraid to adjust volume now because it skips my video forward. As far as I see there is no way to change that.
If you use the scrollwheel while hovering over the video, it will adjust the volume. If you use the scrollwheel while hovering over the timeline, it will skip forward or backward. Hope that helps.

I would also like to see the left click to play feature. Give us the option so we can choose to have it or not.

Cheers
-PL

hobi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hobi » 02 Mar 2011 00:49

Why a new tread?
This is already here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41238
I have been waiting this feature about 4 years now since i noticed that tread

Queops
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Queops » 02 Mar 2011 20:58

I want to see this feature also.

@Jean:
One simple way to solve the DVD menu selection is adding the control key to the left click. We have have to agree that you pause far more than you select DVD menus (or watch DVDs at all). You could simply give a hint to the user so that he knows that he needs to control left click to select anything on the menu. (Like a small popup window under the top menu, kinda like a notification, I'm sure there are plenty ideas...)

I don't get why this feature wasn't been implemented yet. It's holding back many people from making VLC their main video player.

OregonMichelle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby OregonMichelle » 06 Mar 2011 10:00

Hi,

First, Thank you for such an AWESOME video player!

...and next, I agree with everyone... I'd really LOVE to see an option for left clicking the mouse to pause/play. with everything else I was surprised it wasn't already in.

I've been using zoomplayer for years, it also lets you do this, but for some reason it won't play all of my mkv files and I'm tired of all the little inconsistencies I've had with it stretching over the time of two different computers now. I play a lot of different videos and DVDs, it has a DVD mode and a Video mode... so maybe there's another idea for how to address the issue of how to deal with the DVD menus.

Thanks again, and PLEASE put this in :D
M

joelpt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby joelpt » 20 Mar 2011 18:34

I don't think the solution is to just bind play/pause to left click; a bit of logic is needed.

Upon left click, if no DVD menu is currently showing, then play/pause the video.
If a DVD menu is showing, and the mouse pointer is over a DVD menu item, then click (navigate) it. If the pointer is not over a menu item, play/pause the video.

More generally, the default/fall-through action for a left-click in the video pane should be play/pause, instead of just having no effect.

Probably this should work independently of double-click: if the user double-clicks, we should toggle pause -> toggle fullscreen -> toggle pause. While this has the slightly weird result of briefly un/pausing your video, it does effectively retain your play/pause state prior to the double-click, and also doesn't force the single-click handler to wait and see if a double-click occurred (resulting in apparent single-click response lag).

My impression from following this longstanding VLC feature request over the years is that VLC's design doesn't make implementing this as straightforward as it might seem. On the other hand:
Yes, this would be a good idea, once we've finished the vout rework.
So it sounds like VLC's design will likely be able to handle this kind of thing in the not too distant future.

wojtek
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wojtek » 19 Feb 2012 11:04

Upon left click, if no DVD menu is currently showing, then play/pause the video.If a DVD menu is showing, and the mouse pointer is over a DVD menu item, then click (navigate) it. If the pointer is not over a menu item, play/pause the video.
*bump* and +1
I've happily downloaded new vlc 2.0 hoping that I could finally switch to it but sadly because of missing this feature I cannot. No matter how superb vlc is this one is a deal breaker for me (and not only, notice numerous other threads) and without it vlc is simply annoying to use. Same problem is also with the default single key short cuts (left/right/up/down) - because of the 'dvd menu' issue we are thrown annoying defaults that requires modificator.

Proposed solution (quote) seems to be quite a good one (use this keys only when the actual menu is displayed) and would solve numerous other issues.

Not sure whether this shouldn't be reported as an issue to the trac tho?

vato76
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vato76 » 27 Feb 2012 07:16

+1. i also want this feature.

chastiser
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chastiser » 24 Apr 2012 18:37

I am very sad that this feature is still not implemented I requested it like half a year ago. Please if you add this ability to pause with a mouse I will make VLC my default right now I am forced to use your competitor simply because they offer pausing by just clicking the screen.

zorgkang
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zorgkang » 06 May 2012 01:47

As many others, this is why I don't use VLC and I'd like to. I use my wireless mouse as a remote, other mouse buttons I can map to keyboard keys, but play/pause with left click is a must!

Also, can you make a "toggle fullscreen" hotkey instead of requiring 2 separate keys?

VLC is great in some respects, but lack of user interface friendliness is what has always kept me away. When you get used to something that works great for you, you don't want to be told how to do it another "harder" way. And no excuse is convincing really since (many) other programs do it. Hope it gets implemented one day.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 03 Feb 2013 11:23

Now you can try this feature as a VLC2.0.x Extension: Click screen to PAUSE / PLAY

szir
New Cone
New Cone

Postby szir » 10 May 2015 11:50

That does not work anymore in VLC 2.1.x because of removed callback lua API... :(
But I feel that no one should install a lua plugin to be able to pause with a single mouse click anyway. That should work out of box.

Disclaimer: I do not use VLC often. I have tried it a few times over the years, but I always switched back right away to MPC and later MPC-HC.

As others have already stated this feature works very well in Media Player Classic Home Cinema and has been for about a decade. MPC-HC can also handle DVD menus, double-click to fullscreen, and grab the player (by any non-control part of the window) to drag it with just the left mouse button.

So, how is this still a thing in 2015?

VLC's core media player part is a work of art, but the UI/UX design need's some work.
If I could have VLC's media player with MPC-HC's GUI it probably would be my dream player.

mokos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mokos » 20 Jun 2015 20:46

man wtf is wrong with you LAN team!!! your people asked, begged for THIS F*&^%$#@! mouse bind and you reply with who cares arguments like... you dont need the mouse bind or the mousewheel button bind because you cant see DVD!!! well who cares for DVDs anymore!!!! WE WANT THE MOUSE BINDS(mostly for me the wheelbutton bind)!!!!!!!!!! I mostly use vlc for youtube playlists.

phaolo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby phaolo » 21 Jun 2015 01:50

Hey, there's a solution now.
It's the "pause click" plugin and it works even with the last VLC version.
You need to install it manually, though.

https://github.com/nurupo/vlc-pause-cli ... c-2.2.x%2B

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”