VOBSUB subtitles, playlists and automatic subtitle detection

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
nanomir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VOBSUB subtitles, playlists and automatic subtitle detection

Postby nanomir » 27 Feb 2011 11:49

Hi all,

I have tried to back up some of my DVDs as .vobs, and have backed up subtitle files as well. I'd like to put them in a playlist, and have the playlist load subtitles automatically. I'm having some slight nags, which I guess are due to a problematic naming policy I have chosen, so I hope for some advice. I'm on Ubuntu Linux, but I'm assuming these nags would be cross-platform. (EDIT: Using VLC 1.0.6 Goldeneye on this machine, cannot use latest as there is a different bug preventing me to do so)

The situation on the hard drive looks like this:

Code: Select all

:/media/TEST$ for ix in {*,*/*}; do echo ./$ix; done ./MyVID_playlist.m3u ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-10.idx ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-10.sub ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-10.vob ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-11.idx ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-11.sub ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-11.vob ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-1.idx ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-1.sub ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-1.vob ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-2.idx ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-2.sub ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-2.vob ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-3.idx ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-3.sub ./MyVID 1/MyVID 1-3.vob ...

I have tried to set up the M3U playlist like this:

#EXTM3U #EXTINF:0,MyVID 1-1.vob #EXTVLCOPT:sub-file=/media/TEST/MyVID 1/MyVID 1-1.idx MyVID 1/MyVID 1-1.vob #EXTINF:0,MyVID 1-2.vob #EXTVLCOPT:sub-file=/media/TEST/MyVID 1/MyVID 1-2.idx MyVID 1/MyVID 1-2.vob #EXTINF:0,MyVID 1-3.vob #EXTVLCOPT:sub-file=/media/TEST/MyVID 1/MyVID 1-3.idx MyVID 1/MyVID 1-3.vob #EXTINF:0,MyVID 1-4.vob #EXTVLCOPT:sub-file=/media/TEST/MyVID 1/MyVID 1-4.idx MyVID 1/MyVID 1-4.vob ...

So here's what I think is problematic here:
  • 'EXTVLCOPT:sub-file=' fails on relative paths, absolute paths must be used (while for M3U playlist items "local pathname relative to the M3U file location" works fine)
  • When playing the first item, VLC automatically tries to load MyVID 1-11.idx and MyVID 1-12.idx and fails, generating an error window
  • When playlist arrives at 2nd entry (MyVID 1-2.vob), it starts playing wrong subtitles - right click menu shows then subtitle track 1 selected; if I then select subtitle track 2 manually, correct subtitles appear - but this then needs to be done when each new playlist item starts playing
I can live with the first nag (I can always do Find/Replace All in a text editor, and replace the main part of the path) - but it would be nice if relative paths would be supported :)

For the second nag, I guess the 'regex' for automatic detection of subtitles may be too strong - a workaround is to turn off automatic subtitle detection as suggested in #4132 (Open ogg file with VLC tries to open text files with certain names). Then again, just as I wanted to paste the error messages I got, now it stopped doing that :) But I believe it used to give messages such as (since I have them still in opened browser tabs :) ):

error: option sub-original-fps does not exist ... subtitle warning: failed to recognize subtitle type ...
Anyways, now (with subtitle detection or without - but without specification in playlist) the playlist shows three subtitle tracks for first file (obviously, having gulped the subtitles for MyVID 1-10.sub and MyVID 1-11.sub), and still starts playing the wrong subtitles for the second (and subsequent) parts...

The biggest problem for me is why does the second part start with wrong subtitles - even when the right file is specified in playlist? And the worst is - the log messages, as far as I can see, do not tell you which is the actual subtitle file loaded... (and I cannot otherwise open vobsub in a text editor - coz they're apparently images, which is why only .idx can be opened in text editor, and is what VLC reqires as vobsub subtitle file )

So I have to then click on subtitle Track 1 (which is the originally active one, and the wrong one) - and then upon second right-click, subtitle Track 2 appears (it is not there at first) - which is the right one, and which I can then select.

In any case - thanks for the great software, and I hope I'll get some suggestions for my problem!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VOBSUB subtitles, playlists and automatic subtitle detec

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Feb 2011 17:12

Change the autodetection fuzziness then in preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

nanomir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nanomir » 28 Feb 2011 10:44

Hi Jean-Baptiste Kempf,
Change the autodetection fuzziness then in preferences.
Thanks for the quick reply - I had no idea what autodetection fuzziness was for previously! :) The option 4 for autodetection fuzziness says 'subtitle file matching the movie name exactly' - and this works perfect for my naming policy, if I load video vob files individually (for instance, through right click).

However, there is still the problem of the wrong subtitle being shown for part 1-2, once I try to play from playlist. How could I go about troubleshooting this? Is there a verbosity level of messages, where VLC will report which subtitle file has been loaded, once a "next" video file from playlist has been played? I should add that I experience this playlist behavior, regardless of whether subtitle autodetection is on (in Preferences) - and regardless of whether 'EXTVLCOPT:sub-file=' exists in the M3U playlist.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Feb 2011 11:04

EXTVLCOPT is a hack :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

nanomir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nanomir » 28 Feb 2011 19:31

Hi Jean-Baptiste Kempf,

Thanks a lot for your response!
EXTVLCOPT is a hack :D
Understood ;) Well, for the most part I just need the videos to run in a playlist - if I really need the subtitles, I'll click a couple of times to get them to show :)

All the best!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”