Horizontal Lines During Playback!?!?

macOS specific usage questions
matthoppy
New Cone
New Cone

Horizontal Lines During Playback!?!?

Postby matthoppy » 08 Jul 2010 17:56

Hi everyone,

this is my first time here so go easy on me! I don't really know anything about the technical side of VLC I'm afraid.

Anyway, this is the only time I have ever had a problem with the player, and the problem is the following.

The video plays smoothly, the audio is absolutely fine, but there are always horizontal lines across the screen, as though the computer isn't redrawing the frames quickly enough. Although it becomes more obvious the more rapid the movement, it is always there no matter how small, as I took screenshots randomly and you can always see that the image is distorted. It's less noticeable the further away you are from the screen. It sort of looks like what you get if you get really close to a very large television screen, you almost feel like you can see the lines of pixels.

Now, the file is a .ts file, which to me seems an uncommon format for a video, and the video is also HD. From my limited knowledge I have just tried at random different deinterlace settings, but no luck.

Could someone please help!

Thank you!

anonova
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Horizontal Lines During Playback!?!?

Postby anonova » 09 Jul 2010 22:16

The video is most likely interlaced. Unfortunately, the deinterlace filters in 1.1.0 on OSX currently seem to be broken.

matthoppy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby matthoppy » 11 Jul 2010 15:07

I tried it on my friend's computer, vlc on windows 7, all up to date, and the problem is just as bad if not worse :-(

Also, in media player on her computer the lines disappear, and instead there are major problems with the audio being out of sync...

matthoppy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby matthoppy » 11 Jul 2010 20:06

My mistake... it does work on her vlc, i didn't realise that on windows de-interlacing is set to 'off' as a default, when you can't even turn it off on osx! shame about the bug with it not working at all on osx though :-(

blownmind
New Cone
New Cone

Postby blownmind » 14 Jul 2010 08:08

may i ask, what version of VLC do you use? is it the latest 1.1.0 or the older version 1.0.5?
if you're using the latest version, then i suggest you to delete it, and download the older version which is 1.0.5, instead.

i have lots of .ts and .tp files and i also had the same problem back then. those horizontal lines were really annoying.

anyway, all you have to do is:
-open VLC program
-open the video you'd like to play (in you case, the ts videos)
-go to the "Video" menu
-choose "Deinterlace"
-choose "Blend"
and the horizontal lines will disappear!

I hope this helps your problem :)

REMEMBER! this can only work if you are using the older version of VLC (version 1.0.5)

bsmy84
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1.1
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby bsmy84 » 08 Feb 2011 21:37

I was having a problem with extremely thin, tightly spaced horizontal lines appearing only during rapid movement and isolated to the outside edges of those people or forms that were moving. I read the above feedback which is a little dated. I explored my settings and found that "blend" was already checked under "deinterlace mode." However, I went into "deinterlace" under the "video" menu and found that it was turned "off." So, I selected "automatic," and that seems to have fixed the problem as far as I can tell. Btw, I have no idea what deinterlace or interlace means.
iMac, 21.5", 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HD
OS 10.8.5
VLC 2.1.1
SW Pennsylvania, USA

scupking
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scupking » 09 Feb 2011 21:01

I have the same issue and when I turn Deinterlace on it works but if I close out of the video and then go play another video or the same one Deinterlace turns it self off. Is there an option to force this to stay on or stay set to automatic. It is very annoying that I have to go up and turn it on every time I go to watch a video.

stevenmusicmaker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevenmusicmaker » 13 Feb 2011 21:18

Scupking, this is a guess, but perhaps if in the overhead menu bar you click on VLC and then choose Preferences, then click on Video at the top of the Preference window (since Deinterlace is a Video function), and then press 'Save' in the bottom right of that window, Deinterlace 'On' might then remain chosen after you change from one movie to another. I am very new to this, but I believe saving your Preference is the key! Try this and let me know:)

scupking
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scupking » 24 Feb 2011 18:03

Scupking, this is a guess, but perhaps if in the overhead menu bar you click on VLC and then choose Preferences, then click on Video at the top of the Preference window (since Deinterlace is a Video function), and then press 'Save' in the bottom right of that window, Deinterlace 'On' might then remain chosen after you change from one movie to another. I am very new to this, but I believe saving your Preference is the key! Try this and let me know:)
Tried the above but it did not help. Every video I have to go back and set Deinterlace back to auto or on as it still turns itself off every time.

Dhaur
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dhaur » 15 Jul 2014 14:06

Had the same problem, tried all the above.
The lines disappeared when I changed the refresh-rate from 75Hz to 60 Hz in NVIDIA:s control panel.
I guess the problem was that my TV/monitor couldn't cope with the higher frame rate. :lol:

SequoiaCPE
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SequoiaCPE » 08 Dec 2017 20:45

I was seeing vertical lines during display, but the cause is probably as follows:
I was specifying size=1980x1080 in the Command Line, but the Media screen showed the Aspect Ratio was defaulting to 4:3.
Changing to my correct Aspect Ratio of 16:9 corrected the vertical line problem.
I will add --aspect-ratio to always get the correct combo.

jdo43564
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jdo43564 » 14 May 2019 00:13

I have a solution but may only work for users with dedicated GPU. I think AMD would have similar options but I am using Nvidia.

Open Nvidia control panel.

Manage 3D settings
Program settings tab
In the drop down, Find VLC Media Player
Vertical Sync use Adaptive (Half Refresh Rate)

I think that is all that needs to be done but I have also adjusted a few other settings so if you are still seeing the lines after the change above, then I would suggest also using these other settings I have changed.

Maximum Prerendered Frames: 1
Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization: On
Texture Filtering - Quality: High Performance
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: On

**NOTE** I am using a 60 Hz refresh television & that's why I selected half refresh rate given most movies fall under 30fps.

I hope this helps anyone who is also having this issue. This was accomplished on the most up to date VLC Player.

DavidWillson
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DavidWillson » 14 May 2019 14:06

these are due to bad video interlacing.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”