A lot of questions regarding VLC Player

macOS specific usage questions
dllvenon
New Cone
New Cone

A lot of questions regarding VLC Player

Postby dllvenon » 28 Jan 2011 07:53

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user to VLC and there are a lot of inconveniences I'm facing while I'm using this.
Most of them can be fixed via preference panel, but I'm having trouble finding where those all as well as some bugs I'm encountering.
It would be great if anyone can help me through this.

1. When I select "all" instead of "basic" in the preference, on the hokey tab, everything is blank and I cannot click on them hence can't change them.
When I switch it back to "basic" I can change it however few of the hotkeys I'm looking for are in the "all" mode.
So when I switch it to "all", and change back to "basic" the hotkeys all become "unset". Resetting doesn't work at all.

Strangely, when I remove the application and also use the script that it's provided in the disk image to remove preferences, it doesn't seem to remove my preference since when I reinstall, every preference seems to be retained.

2. Is there a way to save the position of the full screen controller? Or even better, can I change the way it looks & operates?
One media player I used had a flat, long controller on the bottom, which usually only covers those black areas, so it didn't bother me much, but a larger is blocking the image on the screen.
If I can change it it would be great, if I can't I still at least want it to be on the bottom so it doesn't disturb much.

3. Is there a way to turn on/off subtitle by a hotkey?
I can't seem to find it in the hotkey tab.

4. Is there a way to make the subtitle clearer?
It looks fine when I watch it in normal size, but usually I put it in full screen and the subtitle seems to look pixelated only when I enlarge the screen.

5. Automatic playlist
I'm not sure if you call it this way, but the media player I used could open the next file with similar pattern when one video file is done.
Say I have "Great.Movie.Ever.2012.HDTV.1080p.S01.Ep02.avi", when the clip is done, it would move to "Great.Movie.Ever.2012.HDTV.1080p.S01.Ep03.avi".

I googled these, but maybe I suck at it 'cause I couldn't find a single solution to those.
VLC seems to be the best player I can get on Mac, (I used KMPlayer on Windows) but it isn't working as I wish it to be.

Help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: A lot of questions regarding VLC Player

Postby fkuehne » 30 Jan 2011 17:24

1) The simple preferences show all configurable hotkeys, no need to enable the (buggy) complete preferences mode. The Preferences removal script should do its job fine. If it doesn't, remove a folder named "VLC" and a file called "org.videolan.vlc.plist" from ~/Library/Preferences.
2) Regrettably, it is impossible to save the fspanel's position throughout sessions. It will always appear centered in the lower third of your main screen.
3) It's called "Cycle subtitle track". The default key is "s" (without any modifiers).
4) The subtitles are currently rendered at the movie's resolution, so if you watch a small movie (which is pixelated on scaling), the subtitles will be pixelated as well.
5) Impossible with current versions of VLC for Mac, part of a re-write of VLC for Mac though, which isn't available to the broad public as of yet though.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

spritle
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: A lot of questions regarding VLC Player

Postby spritle » 02 Mar 2011 01:36

The basic prefs don't show all of the the hotkeys. For instance, at the bottom, there's long backwards jump, but no long forward jump. Also, I may be wrong, but I could have sworn that "all" prefs let me change the jump intervals. The organization of the hotkeys leaves a lot to be desired, as well. (i.e. there isn't much organization; the jumps should all be grouped together rather than being split by mute/dump/record, etc.)

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”