Audio problems

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

Postby Guest » 09 May 2005 18:52

I installed nividas all in one software bundle for audio and video and whatnot but I am also having this problem. I do not have a previous driver to rollback. Do you think the guys at vlc can fix this in an update?

visitor

Postby visitor » 09 May 2005 19:25

rolling back the driver totally worked for me!
...isn't updating drivers supposed to IMPROVE performance, not screw it up royally?!?!?

bah! i'm just happy to have my VLC back!

help needed

Postby Guest » 09 May 2005 20:27

hi,

so many replies but no answer to my query

i have windows 2000 and i recently installed Direct X from microsoft as my video display was giving problem... now my display is coming fine but audio is awful, even for files which were playing fine earlier. audio is like jamming or strucking.

i tried making acceleration zero in direct X sound properties and reinstalling vlc....moreover there is no nvidia driver installed on my pc..... nothing is working out...

can somebody really help with that.......what more can i try???.i will really appreciate as it's been days now taht i m hangingaround with this prob.

John, germany

audio went bad

Postby John, germany » 11 May 2005 13:36

hi,

im also having same sort of problems. i too have windows 2000 and using latest vlc 8.01 version but all of sudden my audio for various files has gone awful, vlc literally cries...

i also have no update titled nvidia driver installed and had already tried with divx dialogue box.....

any other suggestions taht i can try.....files are giving perfect audio in other players.

waiting anxiously for your any help

John

sobank

Postby sobank » 12 May 2005 08:24

ok i posted the solution that worked for me and its not here.

anyway for all of you guys with nf4 try changing the output audio module in advance properties. that should work. no rolling back is needed. try win32wave out module first.

and thank me if it works:)

Twisted

Postby Twisted » 14 May 2005 20:48

Tanx! Microsoft.... the biggest virus in the world

Postby Guest » 22 May 2005 16:41

Soo... just installed XP SP2 on a new Shuttle SN95G5 with the nForce driver. Sound bad from start, guess it's clipping, to the extreme.

So I can't roll back... and updating to the newest driver doesn't help at all. Anyone know what driver you roll back to? I guess I'm gonna have to download it and install it...

- Icky

Sam

nvidia audio problems

Postby Sam » 24 May 2005 02:50

Many thanks to sobank for the fix to my nvidia sound problems. I just bought a new computer with nvidia onboard sound in an Asus motherboard and hadn't been able to use vlc since. The win32 Waveout extension output in advanced audio preferences worked wonders. I'm so happy to have my vlc back!

Conradar

Thanks

Postby Conradar » 25 May 2005 18:51

Thanks for solving my problem. I'm much relieved.

ManOKonstantSoro

NVidia NForce4 audio problems

Postby ManOKonstantSoro » 29 May 2005 06:09

Thank you guys so much for the audio fix tip :D
I just got a great new multimedia pc & i was horrified with the thought that i was gonna have to go back to using windows media player :(
Changing Audio Output to Win32waveOut extension worked like a charm 8)

frankspace

Postby frankspace » 01 Oct 2005 17:23

For what it's worth, I'm not sure this is completely a Microsoft problem. I just put a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 on a Tyan nForce4 motherboard and downloaded all of the drivers directly from nVidia. I, too, had horrible, horrible sound when attempting to play things in VLC, but was puzzled by the fact that sound in my other media players was fine. I twiddled with settings, I downloaded a nightly test build of VLC, I uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers, forcibly deleted settings, and so on. Nothing.

Then I tried disabling hardware acceleration in the sound control panel, and that solved the problem. This was purely guesswork, as I had not yet happened across this post.

So it seems that nVidia's own drivers are to blame, not Microsoft, per se. This is nVidia's version 4.62 driver, if that matters to anyone. I have no idea how to test (or even find) any earlier drivers.

On the other hand, sobank's solution of changing the audio output module to Win32waveOut solves the problem in VLC without messing with hardware acceleration globally. That one didn't occur to me. Thanks, sobank.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 03 Oct 2005 16:10

This is mentioned multiple times in the forum. Nvidia directx drivers report they support float32 audio, which they don't.
float32 + hardware acceleration creates a terrible noise. without hardware acceleration, waveout is used internally by the drivers.

the options you have with these drivers are:
1: disable hardware acceleration, so the driver goes to waveout mode
2: let vlc use the waveout output module instead of the default directX one
3: disable float32 output manually in the VLC preferences for the directX module

And always complain to nvidia about this, otherwise they'll never fix it.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Re: Distorted sound

Postby Guest » 10 Oct 2005 02:22

I downloaded Videolan today and also experience sound problems. Better said: the sound is horrible/terrible! I have no problem with the sound using other players.
I'm using Windows 98SE, the soundcard is a C-Media CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device. As all other software functions alright, it must be a Videolan problem... What to do?

John van Hulst
It's a great pity that no one could come up with any suggestions how to solve this problem! I have a PC with exactly the same configuration as you and experience the same situation. Other players like Media Player, Quicktime and DivX Player work without problems, and before installing VLC on my PC at home I had tested it on my PC at work (a Win2000 PC; I don't know at the moment what sound card it has) where VLC worked perfectly.

Well, if no one here comes with any suggestions it seems as if all we can do is to give up on VLC (you probably already have) as a nonworking player with this configuration.

Åke Bertenstam

Re: Distorted sound

Postby Guest » 10 Oct 2005 02:41

I downloaded Videolan today and also experience sound problems. Better said: the sound is horrible/terrible! I have no problem with the sound using other players.
I'm using Windows 98SE, the soundcard is a C-Media CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device. As all other software functions alright, it must be a Videolan problem... What to do?

John van Hulst
It's a great pity that no one could come up with any suggestions how to solve this problem! I have a PC with exactly the same configuration as you and experience the same situation. Other players like Media Player, Quicktime and DivX Player work without problems, and before installing VLC on my PC at home I had tested it on my PC at work (a Win2000 PC; I don't know at the moment what sound card it has) where VLC worked perfectly.

Well, if no one here comes with any suggestions it seems as if all we can do is to give up on VLC (you probably already have) as a nonworking player with this configuration.

Åke Bertenstam
Hi again!

Just found the solution in another thread!
Change the "Audio Ouput Module" in the Audio Advanced Options to "Win32 waveOut" and restart VLC. All other settings for me are default except "Use S/PDIF when available," which I have checked. Dolby Digital works great for me now.
The change to "Win32 waveOut" worked perfectly for me! Maybe this should be the default setting to avoid this particular problem?? Or does it occur only with a few sound cards?

Åke B

uwei9
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Audio problems

Postby uwei9 » 18 Nov 2007 14:30

Hello,
I wrote a similar topic here: "Casio V7/V8 Videos with stuttering Sound"
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39121&p=131632#p131632
Greetings Uwe

CobrA_4cS
Blank Cone