Using two separate X displays

*nix specific usage questions
saunatonttu
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux

Using two separate X displays

Postby saunatonttu » 17 Jan 2011 11:33

I have a configuration with two separate X displays, which means I cannot move programs between my two screens (yes, this is the only sensible option for my setup and I'm not changing it). Is it possible to have controls in one display and the video on the other? And how about changing the video display on the fly?

I've tried the Clone video filter, but seems that it hasn't got the option to select display any more.

If it's not possible, could VLC's streaming capabilities be of any use? Like piping the video output to a second instance running in the other display. Complicated, but could work.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Using two separate X displays

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 17 Jan 2011 18:24

In theory, you can get there if you start VLC, then go to the preferences, disable the embedded video, set the X11 display, and only then start playback. But it's extremely inconvenient.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

saunatonttu
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux

Re: Using two separate X displays

Postby saunatonttu » 18 Jan 2011 13:59

Well, I "kind of" succeeded by piping the image to a second instance with the YUV output module - except that the image is jerky as hell and people have blue faces. :mrgreen:
And naturally the audio would need to be piped as well to avoid the delay between starting the video and opening the second instance. Smells like trouble..
In theory, you can get there if you start VLC, then go to the preferences, disable the embedded video, set the X11 display, and only then start playback. But it's extremely inconvenient.
Yes, that works. But it is extremely inconvenient.

I guess it's a visit to the feature request section, then.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”