How Do I stop VLC from Auto Launching at Startup?

macOS specific usage questions
adamwunn
New Cone
New Cone

How Do I stop VLC from Auto Launching at Startup?

Postby adamwunn » 29 Dec 2010 20:03

VLC automatically opens at login or startup. I don't want the program to exhibit this behavior. I have looked high and low and cannot find a way to stop this from happening. It seems to be happening only in 1.0.5 and above. I find no preference to turn off this "feature." I also checked the usual Mac OS X suspects like the the "Start-up Items" in the "Accounts" pane in "System Preferences." I also checked the "Startup Items" folders in the main "Library" and the System "Library." I even looked in the root and system "Launch Agents" folder (and "Launch Daemons"). How is VLC forcing itself to life at startup and how do I stop it? This happens on ALL of my machines that recently updated whether 10.5 or 10.6 and whether PPC or INTEL. I feel silly for asking what is probably a really simple fix, and I count myself very adept with computers, but this one has me stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Technologicat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.5, 1.2-git
Operating System: Mac OS, Linux

Re: How Do I stop VLC from Auto Launching at Startup?

Postby Technologicat » 30 Dec 2010 20:46

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=85197. It was suggested that Breakaway.app may cause this.

livsterrrr
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How Do I stop VLC from Auto Launching at Startup?

Postby livsterrrr » 23 Jun 2011 09:50

have you tried this?

system preferences > accounts > login items
and then erase the program from the list...
sorry n00b answer but it might help if you havent tried it...? :mrgreen:

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”