VLC automatically fullscreens and will not close.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
chriselric
New Cone
New Cone

VLC automatically fullscreens and will not close.

Postby chriselric » 29 Oct 2010 19:48

As soon as I load up a video file, VLC will automatically fullscreen and start playing it. This is all well and good but, all I can do is pause, play, and seek. I can't even close or window the damned thing. Ctrl-Q doesn't work. Alt F4 doesn't work, hell I can't even get to my task manager because VLC is all like YO WHASSUP IM IN YOUR FACE I HOPE YOU LIKE NOT DOING ANYTHING BUT WATCHING MOVIES FOREVER.

akbeaman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC automatically fullscreens and will not close.

Postby akbeaman » 16 Nov 2010 18:57

Hi!

Here's what you need to do. First open VLC manually with no media file. Click on Tools, Preferences. In the Preferences window bottom-left there is an area labeled "Show settings" with two radio button selections under it, Simple and All. Make sure Simple is selected.

Top-left a large button labeled Interface should be selected. If not then select it. The screen displayed says Interface Settings at the top in large letters. First thing is Language set to Auto. That should work as is.

The next settings area is labeled Interface Type. The radio button doesn't need to be selected unless you have downloaded skins and want to go back to the default interface. In the area labeled Native, underneath the Display mode setting there are four checkbox settings. Make sure the one that says "Show a controller in fullscreen" is checked.

When this setting is used the controller autohides at the bottom of the screen. Move the mouse and it pops up. Do nothing and it soon autohides again. There is a fullscreen button on the controller which when clicked will take you back out of fullscreen mode.

Alternately you can rightclick anywhere on the screen and get a menu from which you can do anything including leave fullscreen mode or stop (unload the video) or quit (exit the program).

Now, if you don't want your videos to start in fullscreen mode, in the Preferences window click the large button on the left labeled Video. In the second area from the top under Display uncheck the box in front of Fullscreen. Don't forget to click the Save button in the bottom-right of the Preferences window whenever you change a preference.

:? Hope this helps. ( :twisted: WHAAASSUP!!????? :cry: :lol: :P )

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: windows

Re: VLC automatically fullscreens and will not close.

Postby rogerdpack » 17 Nov 2010 00:14

what version? did you clear preferences?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”