streaming a youtube video with libvlc?

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
Diamonddrake
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

streaming a youtube video with libvlc?

Postby Diamonddrake » 11 Nov 2010 20:51

I have written a screensaver in C# that uses libvlc to play videos as screensavers. I was hoping to extend this functionality to play youtube videos from a user's "favorites" playlist on youtube.com. I have all the codes set up to get an array of watchpage urls from youtube.

now, when I paste one of these watchpage urls into VLC player, it plays the video, awesome. But when I pass one of these watchpage urls to either new location or new path for libvlc. The app crashes.

Does VLC player handle the urls? or should it work with libvlc? I would love to know how to get this to work.

Diamonddrake
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: streaming a youtube video with libvlc?

Postby Diamonddrake » 11 Nov 2010 21:51

I found a script online that resolves a watchpage url into a string that when placed in a browser will prompt to download the video, in libvlc, this string still crashes the video. but in VLC player, this string plays the video.

Any Ideas?

Diamonddrake
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Diamonddrake » 11 Nov 2010 22:48

it seems attempting to open any "unfinished" file paths, like a partially downloaded video file ends up in a crash... this could be the problem, but I don't really understand why? Is there some kind of media option that you can set to play partial files? or some type of caching?

Diamonddrake
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Diamonddrake » 12 Nov 2010 20:52

OK, it seems that the problem is with FLV videos in general. All FLV videos crash my player. Any idea on this?

Diamonddrake
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Diamonddrake » 13 Nov 2010 04:49

I'm starting to doubt the helpfulness of my posts here, but ok.
Somehow even though vlc player still plays fine, my apps that use libvlc crash loading flv videos, but only on this computer. It still works using my apps on other computers. So I somehow damaged the functionality only on this computer. I don't know how to rectify the situation...

I would appreciate any input here.

Diamonddrake
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Diamonddrake » 13 Nov 2010 19:44

Ok, it seems to still be a youtube problem... attempting to parse a youtube url, breaks flv placback until the plugins-****.dat file is deleted. Starting the libvlc instance with --no-plugin-cache doesn't change that issue.

Still, open to youtube releated suggestions

Return to “Development around libVLC”