play 1920x1200 video with floating controls?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VlcWannable
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

play 1920x1200 video with floating controls?

Postby VlcWannable » 09 Sep 2010 18:01

I need to play a 1920 x 1200 video on a 1920 x 1200 monitor 1:1 with no resizing.

Is there a way to have the controls visible in a floating interface while I'm full screen?

Or, at least a way to display the minutes and seconds of the video somewhere on the screen - as I can use keyboard shortcuts to control the playback?

I'm trying to make notes on the video, and I need to write down the exact video time for each note.

VlcWannable
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: play 1920x1200 video with floating controls?

Postby VlcWannable » 09 Sep 2010 19:05

Never mind. I'm not sure what I changed, but now the controls popup whenever I move my mouse, which is perfect.

VlcWannable
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VlcWannable » 11 Sep 2010 18:06

I just installed the 4.1.1, and now when I'm in full screen, minimal view - the controls where I could see the time no longer popup when I move the mouse.

What is the setting to get this to show up?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Sep 2010 17:10

They only pop-up on fullscreen, not minimal view.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VlcWannable
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VlcWannable » 13 Sep 2010 01:11

Actually, that's not correct. I had it in full screen with no user interface at all, and when I moved my mouse an interface with play, pause, etc. and the min:seconds would show up and then go away shortly.

That was with 4.1.1. I set some preference to get that to work.

The 4.1.4 install asked about saving preferences at the start, then then overwrote them at the end (I believe it gave another option, and I'd already told it I wanted to keep my preferences and cache and not overwrite them.

I had it working two days ago. That feature is there, it's just hidden somewhere. A popup control with play, stop, etc. and time.

OK, I figured it out! Here's how to get an interface that pops up in full screen.

In Preferences->Video Settings, check 'fullscreen'.

Open a video and set to 'minimal view' and 'full screen' close VLC.

Open a movie with VLC and now you have this working.

However .... On my XP-32 SP3 box, when I do that and attempt to close VLC, it hangs. I have to use task manager to kill it. This is 100% repeatable, and didn't happen with 4.1.1.

On Win7-64 4.1.4, it doesn't hang.

If I stop VLC, disable the full screen interface, I can quit on XP without a hang. All this is 100% repeatable.

Only thing about my machine that might be slightly unique is I did this to BOTH my Win7 and XP machines:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2264107

set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\CWDIllegalInDllSearch to DWORD FFFFFFFF

Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”