Delay prior to playback

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Mike_Z
New Cone
New Cone

Delay prior to playback

Postby Mike_Z » 10 Sep 2010 14:04

Recently I've encountered two problems when playing several files (playback, folder, multiple selection items, ...).
1) The "Rebuilding font cache" seems to pop up a lot more often than usual, even with files that don't even use subtitle tracks.
2) For some reason there's sometimes a delay of several seconds between when I can see the new file being loaded (file details in title & status bar) and when the video starts to play (even in case of simple rips of my DVDs, only containing regular Xvid video and MP3 audio). There's no message window popping up but it might still be related to the first problem.

The PC is a 2.8 GHz Core i7 with Win7 x64, less than 10% CPU load and all the latest driver updates. So I'm relatively sure it's application-related.
BTW: According to the VLC 1.1.4 settings the video output is set to "default", nothing specific.

Has anyone else encountered something similar?

luckman212
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Delay prior to playback

Postby luckman212 » 12 Sep 2010 07:38

Yes, I've got the exact same issue here:
My system is similar to the OP's although slightly less powerful: Q9650 CPU (overclocked @4.2Ghz), 8GB RAM, Win7 x64, VLC 1.1.4. Not too many fonts installed, and don't seem to be having any problems with fonts in any other apps. Strange!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”