VLC Player for iPhone / iPod Touch and iPad

Feature requests for VLC.
Formulka
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Player for iPhone / iPod Touch and iPad

Postby Formulka » 08 Jul 2010 12:43

i would pay 10 to 20$ for fully featured vlc player, there are several players out there (playing almost anything) for about 5$ but the playback is a bit choppy even with SD files ...

bora12 - did you try airvideo? it converts the files on computer in real time even 1080p ones and wirelesly transmits them into the ipad/iphone (server software is for mac or pc) i really doubt the ipad has capabilities to play 1080p non-h264 video on its own

gt2000sa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gt2000sa » 11 Jul 2010 07:23

Hi there,

I am a big fan of VLC player on WIN/MAC/LUNIX, and just registered now to tell you that I would happy donate $20 to get VLC for iPad and iPhone. I hope it would be available free for everyone to experince. Or have one free version with ads and paid version for whatever price. Please make this come true as one of biggest iPad limitation is that I have to encode everything again to watch it.

sjorge
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby sjorge » 11 Jul 2010 11:17

I would really like to see something like this as wel! Even supporting a small subset of formats to begin with would be awesome!

Maybe start with some audio like ogg, wma,... then slowly expand what formats are supported.

zurdyo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zurdyo » 12 Jul 2010 09:55

I've been using AirVideo on a 1st gen iPhone in my home wi-fi LAN and I was amazed at the size of the files it was capable of handling. I'm sure the processor has come a long way in this sense.

I just registered to pitch in to what I believe are the biggest flaws in the iPad: lack of a real media player (like VLC) and lack of the possibility to natively connect an external HD with media content.

The day I'm able to carry around my 500GB mini HD and watch the movies contained with VLC on the iPad, is the day the iPad makes REAL sense! And yes, I would be willing to pay money for it. Probably $5-10 would be the amount I'd be willing to pay.

delhux
New Cone
New Cone

Postby delhux » 14 Jul 2010 06:55

I currently have my media hosted on a NAS sharing via afp and UPnP/DLNA for my Macs/PS3, respectively.

I would love to be able to browse/play video content wirelessly in the same manner I do on my PS3. And I wouldn't hesitate to pay for it.

Start a movie downstairs on the couch in front of the plasma, finish it upstairs in bed with the iPad--how cool would that be?

lbdwag
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lbdwag » 19 Jul 2010 00:41

I would agree that there is a need to provide a Good streaming program for the iPad; it would fill a hole (a HUGE one) that Apple should have built in. Even though I have been anti-paid apps, I would happily pay $5-10 if it was a VLC app. I really should just donate to the project since I've been using it for so long and absolutely LOVE it.

As for features of an iPad App, all that I care about is that it would be able to connect to a VLC client streaming from my desktop. As soon as I could setup a stream for a DVD/media file and go do the dishes without needing to have a laptop setup the ipad will have a whole new place in my technology tree.

Planetwayne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Planetwayne » 08 Aug 2010 12:39

Hi all,

I have just caught this thread though a google search for vlc on iPad as I wanted to make sure that i hadn't missed a release (as well as catching up with any current state of play).

I would also like to add my support for an iPad version but would also ask that it could support mpg2 streams over wifi as well as files transferred onto the device. I currently use Silicon Dust HD Homerun to watch TV so being able to stream tv to a personal tv player (my iPad) would be a real bonus.

Let's just hope apple won't be backward thinking about this.

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work!

wayne.

redgiemental
New Cone
New Cone

Postby redgiemental » 09 Aug 2010 10:56

For those you saying that Apple would not approve VLC player for iPhone/iPad please click the link below.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id384098375?mt=8#

It's a third party player for iPad that plays videos encoded in xvid. So no Apple won't reject your app and no the iPad does not only work with h264.

It does not support flash in the browser this is true and Apples own built in player only support a small subset of codecs. Seemingly third party apps that play other formats are welcome. So there is no reason for their not to be a VLC app for iPad other than you perhaps do not wish to make it.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Aug 2010 15:08

moofy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby moofy » 14 Aug 2010 15:34

Hi,

it would be great if you would build a VLC Player for iPad :wink:
and I would pay for it.

Cheers

Planetwayne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Planetwayne » 15 Aug 2010 22:08

Hi all,
Just thought I would post a quick update on some new apps on the app store that have the ability to do other media formats.

There is CineXPlayer which can play divx media. You have to use iTunes to 'sync' movies to it though and OPlayer HD, this can do a few different formats including avi's, mkv's and a few others. Again it's limited to uploading the file to the iPad first but you can however add a server source in the app that will connect to an FTP or samba server to upload the file first.

So room for some improvement for sure!!

Crack the streaming option and the 'play anything' ability of vlc and you have a winner!!!!

Anyways here's hoping :-)

Wayne.

killero24
New Cone
New Cone

Postby killero24 » 06 Sep 2010 00:53

hello

i thought you may find this useful
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sharepla ... 07084?mt=8
got some problems still, but works for the most part

niedjaeger
New Cone
New Cone

Postby niedjaeger » 07 Sep 2010 02:10

The new Apple TV is working wireless with iphone and ipad. You can rent movies and watch it everywhere and switch between iphone, ipad and apple tv.

pedrocasilva
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pedrocasilva » 13 Sep 2010 04:51

VLC is now officially coming to the iPad!

-> http://applidium.com/applications/vlc

Only awaiting approval from Apple, I'd like to thank the VLC team for making this possible and beg for a iPod Touch/iPhone version :P (I only have those! not an iPad anythime soon) I realize 720p with hardware aceleration will the the maximum we'll be able to pop out of these machines, seeing it's what the iTV is popping and the iPad/iPhone can only output up to 1024x768 via component cables, but I believe these systems will evolve on the coming years though and VLC is giving a very important step in following that evolution. A step that I wish is supported by Apple and other self-contained players without plugins (example: XBMC)

From now on we'll have a set top box that could be in our living rooms living out of the same hardware a phone has, with a PowerVR and a ARM CPU, and I can only assume the Google TV based off the android "thing" will do the very same thing, hardware-wise, so it's very important to have a build like this up and running. And seeing these machines are portable, I can imagine coming onto a friends house and just pluging it in, the future really.

And seeing this being pitched I can only hope the future is a lot sooner than I thought.

I actually registered for this.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 21 Sep 2010 00:10

VLC for iPad is now available on the App Store! Get it at http://itunes.apple.com/app/vlc-media-p ... 85556?mt=8!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

limsg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby limsg » 21 Sep 2010 03:36

Can it support rmvb?

If it could, I'll be prepared to pay for it.

Bellu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bellu » 21 Sep 2010 06:00

Can it support rmvb?

Now it realeased the new version for ipad, since 'VLC Media Player with claims to support "nearly all codec there is."' I think rmvb maybe supported, but don't support MKV, so I still have to use the ifunia ipad converter to do converting, sign :(

limsg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby limsg » 21 Sep 2010 09:53

Can it support rmvb?

Now it realeased the new version for ipad, since 'VLC Media Player with claims to support "nearly all codec there is."' I think rmvb maybe supported, but don't support MKV, so I still have to use the ifunia ipad converter to do converting, sign :(
Actually, I really doubt it can, bcoz even the PC version of VLC player can't play rmvb.. let alone on Apple OS..

johnalex731
New Cone
New Cone

Postby johnalex731 » 22 Sep 2010 16:45

I have yet to get it to successfully play on my ipad. Any avi has sound, but no video. Booo, was so looking forward to not having to re-encode everything for itunes.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Sep 2010 23:14

I have yet to get it to successfully play on my ipad. Any avi has sound, but no video. Booo, was so looking forward to not having to re-encode everything for itunes.
iOS 4.2 ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

LinLan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby LinLan » 23 Sep 2010 06:05

Is there a difference between VLC for iPad on iOS 3.2.1 and iOS 4.2?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Sep 2010 14:05

iOS 4.2 doesn't work with VLC
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

limsg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby limsg » 24 Sep 2010 07:37

iOS4.2 is not even out yet rite....?

LinLan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby LinLan » 24 Sep 2010 11:40

VLC for iPad has been crashing on 3.2.1 with many different types of files including fairly ordinary MKV files made with MakeMKV. They all play using VLC for Mac OS X.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Sep 2010 16:05

VLC for iPad has been crashing on 3.2.1 with many different types of files including fairly ordinary MKV files made with MakeMKV. They all play using VLC for Mac OS X.
File a bug
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”