Building font cache

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
princesseve
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Building font cache

Postby princesseve » 18 Jul 2010 22:27

Nope. Didn't work. I installed 1.0.5, went in and unchecked the option you said, and tried playing a movie and got the font cache error again. Now I have to uninstall VLC and reboot again. Is this a prevalent error or is it just a few of us that have it?

Since VLC is now completely unusable for me and I can't even go back to an earlier version that worked, I guess I will just move on to something else. Maybe I will try again with the next version. I really liked VLC . . . I'm really going to miss it.

tandrewm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tandrewm » 22 Jul 2010 20:19

This error still occurs with VLC 1.1.1. The font cache file is never created on the network drive. The files %APPDATA%\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini and %APPDATA%\vlc\ml.xspf, however, are created and they are updated when vlc is closed. Off hand, it sounds like the code used to locate the %APPDATA% directory to create the font cache file is different than the code to locate the %APPDATA% directory for the .ini and the .xspf.

Apostrophe84
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Apostrophe84 » 23 Jul 2010 06:13

I also have this problem. I believe it started when I installed Open Office. I assume that Open Office adds some fonts to Windows and that fonts are somehow at the core of this issue.

Every time I try to open any file in VLC, I get the message about "building font cache". This message does not go away. It never finished building anything. It just hangs there. If I try to cancel it, VLC stops responding, but doesn't stop this eternal process of building nothing that takes up all system resources, so summoning up Task Manager to cancel the damn thing takes the better part of 5 minutes. This is HIGHLY ANNOYING.

I've tried disabling plugins cache. This did nothing.

I've tried to delete the VLC folder under AppData -> Roaming. This did nothing.

I've tried completely uninstalling VLC and removing all VLC-related files from the computer, and then reinstalling. This did nothing. (How that is possible, I have no idea. It just did not work, though I can think of no worldly reason for why it wouldn't.)

So, at the moment I can't think of any way to get VLC to work...

Could it be that VLC and OpenOffice can't be used on the same computer together with this version of VLC?

Right now I am going to uninstall VLC and completely purge my system of any VLC-related files, again. Them I am going to try installing 1.0.5. (From here: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... 0.5/win32/)

Wish me luck.

P.S. This latest version of VLC has been highly odd. The video playback has developed weird blocky artefacts that were never there and the audio playback has weird choppy errors in it. What's up? I assume the video artefacts have something to do with GPU-acceleration. (Which I haven't found a way to disable yet.)

Apostrophe84
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Apostrophe84 » 23 Jul 2010 06:23

I also have this problem. I believe it started when I installed Open Office. I assume that Open Office adds some fonts to Windows and that fonts are somehow at the core of this issue.

Every time I try to open any file in VLC, I get the message about "building font cache". This message does not go away. It never finished building anything. It just hangs there. If I try to cancel it, VLC stops responding, but doesn't stop this eternal process of building nothing that takes up all system resources, so summoning up Task Manager to cancel the damn thing takes the better part of 5 minutes. This is HIGHLY ANNOYING.

I've tried disabling plugins cache. This did nothing.

I've tried to delete the VLC folder under AppData -> Roaming. This did nothing.

I've tried completely uninstalling VLC and removing all VLC-related files from the computer, and then reinstalling. This did nothing. (How that is possible, I have no idea. It just did not work, though I can think of no worldly reason for why it wouldn't.)

So, at the moment I can't think of any way to get VLC to work...

Could it be that VLC and OpenOffice can't be used on the same computer together with this version of VLC?

Right now I am going to uninstall VLC and completely purge my system of any VLC-related files, again. Them I am going to try installing 1.0.5. (From here: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... 0.5/win32/)

Wish me luck.

P.S. This latest version of VLC has been highly odd. The video playback has developed weird blocky artefacts that were never there and the audio playback has weird choppy errors in it. What's up? I assume the video artefacts have something to do with GPU-acceleration. (Which I haven't found a way to disable yet.)
I have returned to report my success. While removing VLC and reinstalling 1.1.1 did not help, removing VLC and installing 1.0.5. did help! The building font cache -problem has disappeared!

[borat]Great Success![/borat]

surfingtom
New Cone
New Cone

Postby surfingtom » 23 Jul 2010 11:10

I would just like to concur with the previous couple of posts. Now back to 1.0.5 and it works again. This issue is a serious problem for VLC IMHO and should be a priority fix - I can no longer recommend this player to my clients :-(. What made this player fantastic was its robust ability to play almost anything on all its supported platforms with a simplicity that even a technophobe can cope with. Wondering which player to recommend in the meanwhile.... I really hope you listen to your users and find the resource to fix it. If team VLC need some help accurately identifying this bug through testing, I am happy to help...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Jul 2010 11:19

The problem is in your font-cache file that isn't created... Either because your %appdata%/vlc isn't accessible to fontconfig, or because you added fonts (it will run once) or because you don't let it do what it should...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Apostrophe84
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Apostrophe84 » 23 Jul 2010 14:24

The problem is in your font-cache file that isn't created... Either because your %appdata%/vlc isn't accessible to fontconfig, or because you added fonts (it will run once) or because you don't let it do what it should...
On my computer, the VLC AppData is at C: -> Users ->UserName -> AppData -> Roaming -> vlc
I see no reason why this folder would be inaccessible. It isn't on a network drive.

I also believe that adding new fonts causes the problem to emerge. Sadly, the Building Font Cache -prompt never finishes. I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition overclocked to 3.8 Ghz with 8192 Mbytes of RAM. When the prompt first emerged I left it running for about 40 minutes (I went grocery-shopping) but it didn't finish. On numerous attempts I left it running for between 5 and 10 minutes with no success. It might be that the program requires even longer to accomplish its task, but I doubt giving it more time would have helped.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Jul 2010 16:15

If it runs that long, there are prolly broken fonts that fontconfig cannot handle.

tandrewm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tandrewm » 23 Jul 2010 18:14

Any ideas on the problem that DJX and I have? Our issue is that our %appdata% directory is redirected to a network drive and the font cache file is never created. I am logged in to the network when I install VLC. Clearly, %appdata% on the network drive is accessible because the .ini and .xpsf files are created and I can click Start->Run and type in %appdata% and the it brings up the %appdata% directory on the network drive. This is obviously a bug but, because I am only a casual user of VLC, I can live with it for awhile. I'm not sure others will feel the same way.

DJX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Git
Operating System: Windows

Postby DJX » 23 Jul 2010 18:21

Thanks for getting us back on track here, tandrewm.
This is really the problem here.

tandrewm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tandrewm » 23 Jul 2010 18:58

I just did a little test and it appears the problem is that VLC does not handle the UNC name correctly. I opened a Command Prompt window and typed SET. The APPDATA environment variable is set to a UNC similar to this APPDATA=\\servername\users\username\Application Data. In the Command Prompt window I typed SET APPDATA=H:\Application Data <return> (my home directory is mapped to H:). Then, still in the Command Prompt window, I typed "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\vlc.exe". VLC launches using the environment of the Command Prompt window and I do not receive the Building Font Cache message. It is strange to me that the font cache file is still not created in the H:\Application Data\vlc directory but each video loads and begins playing right away.

I hope this helps the programmers in finding the bug.

DJX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DJX » 23 Jul 2010 19:21

Excellent troubleshooting, tandrewm.

I figured it was UNC path problems...
I just thought, since I have stated this many times that some one could pick it up.

Interesting that the cache is still not created though...

sopron
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sopron » 24 Jul 2010 22:47

hello. on vista32 after installing vlc 1.1.1 the font cache has been rebuilded. but only the first time i opened a file. all the next times it opens without rebuilding font cache. the first time only. then it works well :-)

fleamo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fleamo » 26 Jul 2010 00:53

Not sure if I should be posting in this thread, but here goes.

Experiencing a similar issue with Building Font Cache. It hangs at 20%. I've tried deleting the %appdata%/Roaming/VLC directory, but that doesn't fix anything. I don't actually see a font cache file in that directory, though.

I noticed this problem first with 1.1.1. I tried installing older versions (1.0.5, 1.0.2) but now nothing works.

VLC used to work fine. What the heck happened?

DJX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DJX » 26 Jul 2010 01:06

I don't know what good it will do, but I created a bug report:
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3950

IamZombie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby IamZombie » 26 Jul 2010 17:49

Same exact issue here as well.
Every time I open VLC I get the "Building Font Cache"

My application data is also stored on a network drive.

What is the purpose of the font cache anyway?
Is it for subtitles?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 27 Jul 2010 15:13

Is it for subtitles?
Yes, it is for subtitles and other text rendering options.

blank
New Cone
New Cone

Postby blank » 29 Jul 2010 10:24

im having the same problem, and its damn annoying.
Sometimes it can take longer than 2 min.

hope it gets fixed soon. love VLC player. would hate to look for another.

JDCorley
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JDCorley » 30 Jul 2010 07:50

I'm on Windows XP SP3, completely updated, and the latest VLC version (1.1.1), and it says it is building a new font cache, then it closes itself abruptly with no error message, not even in the Messages board with verbosity set to max. It closes like I alt-F4-ed. This only happens with movie files.

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 01 Aug 2010 13:30

Is it for subtitles?
I wish it were only for that, but that dialog shows up even for my own .avi files, transferred from my DV camera, where no text/translation/whatever text exists. It is extremely annoying specially because if I click "Cancel" right away, the program hangs or appears to do nothing more. I have to close VLC, restart it, see that stupid dialog again, click Cancel again and hopefully after a few cancel/kill/restart cycles the movie eventually starts without asking about a font for nothing.

Cristi
... I think it's too hard to think

JDCorley
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JDCorley » 03 Aug 2010 02:51

This problem does persist into 1.1.2.

IamZombie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby IamZombie » 03 Aug 2010 21:21

Is it for subtitles?
If it's only for subtitles and text rendering, why can't it be disabled?
Is it for subtitles?
I wish it were only for that, but that dialog shows up even for my own .avi files, transferred from my DV camera, where no text/translation/whatever text exists. It is extremely annoying specially because if I click "Cancel" right away, the program hangs or appears to do nothing more. I have to close VLC, restart it, see that stupid dialog again, click Cancel again and hopefully after a few cancel/kill/restart cycles the movie eventually starts without asking about a font for nothing.

Cristi
Exactly!

I should be able to disable the cache and at least select a static font I would use in the event I ever need subtitles or text rendering.

hermitx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hermitx » 04 Aug 2010 08:23

Yeah, this cache thing is getting on my nerves. VLC is as far as I know the only program that needs a cache for fonts.
I install new fonts all the time. I can't have this 10min font caching thing showing up every single time.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Aug 2010 15:52

Does it help if you disable Show media title on video (Tools -> Preferences and Show settings: All, Video) then press Save and restart VLC?

azthai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby azthai » 06 Aug 2010 04:03

Error:
Buidling font Cache pop-up

Solution:

Open VLC player.

On Menu Bar:

Tools
Preferences

(at bottom - left side)
Show settings -- ALL

Open: Video
Click: Subtitles/OSD (This is now highlited, not opened)
Text rendering module - change this to "Dummy font renderer function"

Save
Exit

Re-open - done.
Progy will no longer look outside self for fonts
Please post reply, I'll debug more if not working.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”