about compiling vlc

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
oscarml
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

about compiling vlc

Postby oscarml » 14 Apr 2005 11:40

hi

I've problems about compiling vlc.c with the cygwin. I've downloaded the file "vlc-0.8.1.tar.gz" and i've extracted it. You can't compile vlc.c only with this information, aren't you?

I've downloaded all the required libraries that appear in "http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html". How must I install these libraries? there are 38 libraries... have I to install all of them one by one?

Thank very much.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 14 Apr 2005 13:24

Go to the developers page, then the VLC page off of that. There's a Documentation link, a PDF file called working Cygwin compile environment.

You download the latest contrib package, which contains pre-compiled libraries for use on Windows.

I suggest using a current subversion snapshot, not 0.8.1 -- there are significant updates to the code since 0.8.1.

macheath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby macheath » 14 Apr 2005 18:08

how are the libs compiled? what gcc flags were used? can i modify a library, recompile and hope it all will automatically link or shall i take into account some critical parameter?
thanx,
l

johnny_b

Postby johnny_b » 15 Apr 2005 15:37

how are the libs compiled? what gcc flags were used? can i modify a library, recompile and hope it all will automatically link or shall i take into account some critical parameter?
thanx,
l
i have a similar problem. i have compiled vlc successfully with the supplied binary libraries, but i want to modify the ffmpeg library used by vlc. when compiling it, however (under windows) it somehow compiles ffmpeg.exe, but neither libavcodec.a nor libavformat.a (both needed by vlc) is generated. nowhere could i find a description of how to compile these libraries! any ideas?

macheath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby macheath » 15 Apr 2005 15:57

in fact i have more or less the same problem.
the configure of vlc fails for it does not find "_avcodec_init" in libavocdec.a (generated upon compilation of ffmpeg in ffmpeg/libavcodec) though the function is available as shown by nm -s.
what version of gcc are you using? i am using gcc-3.3.3.3 and vlc compiled with this version links correctly with le pre-compiled libs (compiled with gcc-3.3.1).
are there critical differences between gcc-3.3.3-3 and gcc-3.3.1-x that make the resulting stuff incompatible between them?

another big issue is: how to debug vlc under windows? vlc --intf wxwin works correctly. if run from within gdb i can see the process running in task manager but no GUI is shown and it's impossible to interact with vlc.

any hints?

oscarml
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby oscarml » 18 Apr 2005 09:58

hi,

When I try to compile it says that "you need automake version 1.5 or later".

Do you know what to do then?

thanks

macheath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby macheath » 18 Apr 2005 11:02

i downloaded a cygwin release from scratch using the install.exe provided from http://www.cygwin.com/ taking care of choosing the unix text file option (CR instead of CRLF at the end of ascii lines) and it eventually worked.

compilation works also if you downloaded the contrib libraries compiled with gcc-3.3.1 and you compile vlc with gcc-3.3.3-3. have not try gcc-3.4 yet (not even thinking about).

i suggest you choose to download vlc via subversion, maybe choosing the latest trunk. you can then take advantage of a simpler (well, of course it depends on you) configuration utility by running menuconfig.

anyway, a thing happening to me is that upon successful compilation i can't run the resulting vlc.exe until i don't move/rename/cancel the vlc.exe.manifest. chmoding does not semme to work.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”