VLC 1.1.0 don't unload when closed under XP

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC 1.1.0 don't unload when closed under XP

Postby VLC_help » 28 Jul 2010 22:31

Cobaltvlc: you have some kind of drawing tablet?

TXmcyme
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TXmcyme » 29 Jul 2010 09:48

Hello everybody I'm new at this, and my problem is similar, but it closes when I x it out--for the most part anyways. My problem is that I'm using bat files and psexec to act like a remote and different channels when streaming from my tunner card. I have to use the taskkill command, and it always leaves the icon in the system tray. Like you guys said eariler if I move the mouse over it, or crtl-q. It will go away, and for the most part it's really not an issue until I change the channel a couple of times from the local machine the remote machine streaming vlc gathers a bunch of icons in the system tray until it crashes. From my couple weeks of experience I realize that vlc don't like remote desktop. So I've been using vnc to clean the sys tray in the remote machine, but I don't want to have to do this. I was wondering if anybody know how to use the quit command in a bat file or a work around for what I'm trying to do here. Here a sample of my codes first the remote bat for the local machine:

Code: Select all

@echo off title remote color 16 :remote set /p var= Enter Channel Number And Press Enter (1=on 0=off L=Last Channel): IF '%var%' == 'L' goto L IF '%var%' == '0' goto 0 IF '%var%' == '1' goto 1 IF '%var%' == '2' goto 2
:L
psexec \\"ip" -u user -p password -i "c:\program files\videolan\vlc\channels\L.bat
goto on

:0
psexec \\"ip" -u user -p password -i "c:\program files\videolan\vlc\channels\0.bat
goto off

:1
psexec \\"ip" -u user -p password -i "c:\program files\videolan\vlc\channels\1.bat
goto on

:2
psexec \\"ip" -u user -p password -i "c:\program files\videolan\vlc\channels\2.bat
goto on

:on
PING 1.1.1.1 -n 2.2 -w 1000 >NUL

echo hold your horses while i setup connections

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player"
start wmplayer.exe "mms://ip:port"
goto remote

:off
taskkill /f /im wmplayer.exe
exit

and here a sample of the channels bat for the remote vlc server

Code: Select all

o.bat= taskkill /f /im vlc.exe exit 1.bat= cd C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\ start vlc.exe -vvv dshow:// --dshow-vdev "Hauppauge WinTV 88x Video Capture" --dshow-adev "C-Media Wave Device" --dshow-caching=200 --dshow-size=352x288 --dshow-aspect-ratio=4:3 --dshow-chroma=RGB 24 --dshow-fps=29.97 --no-dshow-config --no-dshow-tuner --dshow-tuner-channel --dshow-video-input=1 --dshow-video-output=0 --dshow-audio-input=7 --dshow-audio-output=1 --dshow-amtuner-mode=1 --dshow-audio-channels=2 --dshow-audio-samplerate=44100 --dshow-audio-bitspersample=0 --dshow-caching=200 --sout=#transcode{vcodec=wmv2,vb=1024,scale=1,acodec=wma2,ab=32,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,dst=ip:port}}} exit and 2.bat all the rest of the channels start with taskkill like this one taskkill /f /im vlc.exe cd C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\ start vlc.exe -vvv dshow:// --dshow-vdev "Hauppauge WinTV 88x Video Capture" --dshow-adev "C-Media Wave Device" --dshow-caching=200 --dshow-size=352x288 --dshow-aspect-ratio=4:3 --dshow-chroma=RGB 24 --dshow-fps=29.97 --no-dshow-config --no-dshow-tuner --dshow-tuner-channel 2 --dshow-video-input=1 --dshow-video-output=0 --dshow-audio-input=7 --dshow-audio-output=1 --dshow-amtuner-mode=1 --dshow-audio-channels=2 --dshow-audio-samplerate=44100 --dshow-audio-bitspersample=0 --dshow-caching=200 --sout=#transcode{vcodec=wmv2,vb=1024,scale=1,acodec=wma2,ab=32,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,dst=ip:port}}} exit I realize that there are probably eazier and faster ways to do this, but like I said earlier i'm new at this and i just did the best I know how, but i'm open to suggestions.

Cobaltvlc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cobaltvlc » 29 Jul 2010 23:16

Cobaltvlc: you have some kind of drawing tablet?
Nop.

But the problem is with a very old version of PS, 5.5.

harry_tuttle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby harry_tuttle » 30 Jul 2010 14:22

I also have this problem since version 1.1.0, and even with the latest version 1.1.2. Using Win XP 32 SP3.

I start a fresh install of VLC and close it using the X-button. The Tray Icon always stays visible and has to be clicked to shutdown the process. When the tray icon is disabled, I have to use the task manager to kill the process. The behaviour is always the same: if I do nothing or watch a video and stop it before exiting or exit the program during playback.

Exiting with ALT+F4, Using the Menu or pressing CTRL+Q always close the program clean and completely as expected, the process only persists after using the X-Button or doubleclicking the cone-icon in the titlebar.
I have no knowledge about windows programming, so I have no idea what could be the culprit, although I assume the executed "exit procedure" should be the same for all ways to exit the program. So perhaps there actually is some difference in the titlebar elements compared to ALT+F4 etc.?

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: windows

Postby rogerdpack » 30 Jul 2010 14:58

closes ok for me (using the X button) with 1.1.1 on Windows 7 and XP. If that helps :)

harry_tuttle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby harry_tuttle » 30 Jul 2010 20:17

Hm, I just stumbled upon something that might possibly be helpful to fix this issue:

As I said two posts above I have the same closing issue as many others.
But now I noticed that if the VLC Window doesn't have the focus, closing it using the X-button completely terminates the program as expected. So perhaps some other users having the same problem can try to reproduce:

1. start VLC
2. focus any other application window so VLC is an inactive window
3. close VLC with the X-button
-> Program should exit completely

I tried this dozens of times and VLC was finely terminated on every single try.

When closing an inactive VLC with a doubleclick on the titlebar's cone icon, the problem still persists, because the first click focuses VLC so the second click 'fires' at a now active VLC window. So I strongly assume the window focus leads to the issue.

I know I can use CTRL+Q, but as I practically close every application with the X-button, I really would appreciate if I could keep this habit when using VLC too, because this great piece of software is the one and only player I use for every Video or Movie I watch (and I watch a lot if time allows it).

HTH

wraythex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wraythex » 31 Jul 2010 01:57

Just an update from me: I had the problem with VLC 1.1.0, 1.1.1, and now also with 1.1.2. Closing vlc with the X leaves a vlc.exe process lingering around in the background. Also, as mentioned one post up, double-clicking the icon in the title bar of vlc will leave a lingering vlc.exe.

The alternate closing methods do work. It will completely close with any of:
Ctrl-Q
Right click title bar of vlc and select close
Single click vlc icon in title bar and select close
Right click vlc in the task bar and selecting close
Click on X when vlc does not have focus
Click "Media" in the menu bar and selecting Quit
Alt-F4

Hopefully some more ammo for anyone trying to track this down or debug this issue.

Agent24
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Agent24 » 31 Jul 2010 05:45

I also noticed this problem too.

Running Windows XP Pro SP3 (and this was on a clean install of Windows and VLC)

I ignored it for a while but now I saw this thread, looks like a common problem!

AEN007
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 1.1.0 doesn't unload when closed under XP

Postby AEN007 » 31 Jul 2010 10:24

31July2010

I just tried 1.1.2, and it seems 1.1.2 has changed nothing as far as this issue goes ...

BerserkerNord
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BerserkerNord » 31 Jul 2010 12:37

Hm, I just stumbled upon something that might possibly be helpful to fix this issue:

But now I noticed that if the VLC Window doesn't have the focus, closing it using the X-button completely terminates the program as expected. So perhaps some other users having the same problem can try to reproduce:

1. start VLC

I can confirm this. I tested several dozen times, with a clean install of VLC (deleted appdata files).

If VLC does not have focus, then clicking the X button will close VLC cleanly and end the VLC process immediately also. If VLC does have focus, then clicking the X button will only close the interface, but leave the process running and a systray icon hanging around (clicking the systray icon will end the VLC process). The process will stay running in the background for at least several minutes. I've never bothered to wait long enough for it to quit on its own, if it even does. Tested with VLC 1.1.1. on XP SP3 Pro.

Cobaltvlc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cobaltvlc » 31 Jul 2010 19:40

I can confirm this. I tested several dozen times, with a clean install of VLC (deleted appdata files).
Me too, whit 1.1.2.

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: VLC 1.1.x don't unload when closed under XP

Postby Ludrax » 31 Jul 2010 20:36

1. start VLC

If VLC does not have focus, then clicking the X button will close VLC cleanly and end the VLC process immediately also. If VLC does have focus, then clicking the X button will only close the interface, but leave the process running and a systray icon hanging around (clicking the systray icon will end the VLC process). The process will stay running in the background for at least several minutes. I've never bothered to wait long enough for it to quit on its own, if it even does. Tested with VLC 1.1.1. on XP SP3 Pro.
I can confirm with Nightly Build of VLC
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Trond
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trond » 01 Aug 2010 13:09

1.1.2 update didn't help me

bassmanjase
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bassmanjase » 02 Aug 2010 00:42

And still a problem in 1.1.2.

axanon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby axanon » 03 Aug 2010 13:47

i got the same problem here...

the tray-icon stays after quit and i cannot open another movie- or audio-file.

axanon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby axanon » 06 Aug 2010 08:17

this thread is online for too long ...and NO help?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Aug 2010 15:56

AFAIK there isn't any proper workaround for this. Only way is that someone traces the bug and provides a fix for it.

frimpme
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frimpme » 07 Aug 2010 23:44

Maybe this additional information will help.

I'm having the same problem, but I have the video showing in a separate window - not the main VLC control panel. I suggest it's a problem specifically regarding the video. See here:

Once the video finishes, and the process hangs:
* If I click the X in the video window, nothing closes.
* When I click the X for the control panel (the main VLC window), it closes, but the video window hangs around (as well as the process).
* If I kill the process, both vanish.
* If I double-click something else to play, nothing happens (because the process has stopped responding).

Additionally, any method of closing (clicking X, CTRL+Q, etc) will close successfully as long as it hasn't reached the end, and hung.

Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby 123456789 » 09 Aug 2010 14:01

Confirmed same here for xp3 both v1.1.1 and v.1.1.2 versions. Previous version installed v1.0.5 didn't have this problem.

Reinhart
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.1.x don't unload when window closed under XP

Postby Reinhart » 09 Aug 2010 16:04

I too have to confirm this bug.

If on any of my Windows XP machines I close any VLC version 1.1.0, 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 by pressing its window "X" symbol (top right), VLC usually keeps running as invisible task without a window, and prevents loading a new instance of VLC.

That bug prevents us to use VLC version 1.1.x at all on any Windows XP machine.
(We XP users are still the majority of Windows users, isn't it?)
So we've to stick with version 1.0.x which works stable.

How could we help fixing this nasty little bug?

MullerMan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MullerMan » 09 Aug 2010 18:39

Does anyone know if the bug you talk about also occurs in Windows Vista?

Reinhart
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Reinhart » 10 Aug 2010 09:39

No, I don't know.

But on all my Windows XP machines it occurs for sure and it's a real show stopper.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Aug 2010 15:26

At least I can't replicate this on Vista or in 2k3 server so I would guess this only bothers XP and younger.

MullerMan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MullerMan » 11 Aug 2010 15:30

VLC_help

So no need to clear preferences and cache prior to installing VLC new version in Vista?
Am i right?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Aug 2010 16:42

This problem isn't preferences or cache related AFAIK.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”