VLC 1.1.0 ALL BUGS and PROBLEMS-I WANT OLD VERSION

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
crowngems
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.1.0 ALL BUGS and PROBLEMS-I WANT OLD VERSION

Postby crowngems » 16 Jul 2010 21:33

Thanks VLC for the free player but the new version is full of bugs and sucks. I have Win 7 64bit Gateway FX powerful laptop system. With the previous version 1.0.6(?) I never had any trouble. The I got the notice saying there was a new version and installed it. Nothing but trouble and problems. I play streams from online sources and they all sputter and lag and have gaps. It is annoying.

I tried everything to get the previous version and nothing works. The one you posted on your site is in a convoluted format that even when expanded has no executable files and cannot be used. Just a bunch of useless files and folders that won't boot. I tried extensive searches and even torrents to get the old version and nothing is there. I tried to restore previous versions and it says it is done but fails to do anything.

I WANT MY OLD VERSION PLEASE AND I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

THIS 1.1.0 SUCKS AND I WANT TO GO BACK AND GET THE ONE THAT WORKS.

PLEASE HELP.crowngems
New Cone

Private message

crowngems
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 1.1.0 ALL BUGS and PROBLEMS-I WANT OLD VERSION

Postby crowngems » 17 Jul 2010 00:12

I still would like to know how to re install my old version of VLC so if anyone can help that would be great. However, I have dumped VLC and gone with another player which is working much better than VLC. So the headache is gone but I did like VLC while it lasted. Maybe the next version will regain their honor.

OliverSudden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OliverSudden » 18 Jul 2010 01:48

Don't tell me it's Divx. Uggh. They're the worst!

I'm in the same boat but I'm not sure I want another player. I like VLC but between the crashes and the media library tree not working, I'm going back to 1.0.3, which is the most recent older version I have. That's the trouble with auto-updaters: sure, it's super-convenient but no one saves the downloadable anymore. :lol:

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 18 Jul 2010 09:53

There is a link to older versions at the bottom of the download page for Windows.

MadRocker
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.16 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby MadRocker » 19 Jul 2010 02:20

I WILL NEVER AGAIN INSTALL ANY NEW VERSION OF VLC ---- WITHOUT FIRST COMING TO THE FORUM AND CHECKING TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY MAJOR BUGS BEING REPORTED.

vlcfanman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcfanman » 19 Jul 2010 07:08

Vlc is excellent and a lot of folks work really hard to make it that way. That includes all the folks who come here to discuss issues and work through them. That is how open source software gets better and how the users gain knowledge. If you do not want to participate in that process much at all then stay a couple of versions behind and don't upgrade to the next major version until you really need a feature that only the new version offers and you are prepared to discuss things as they arise. I'm on Windows and had no problem with the downgrade. I downloaded 1.0.5 and ran the installer and it offered to remove the installed 1.1.0 version for me before installing the 1.0.5 version. Excellent! I love it : )

cybrmutt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cybrmutt » 20 Jul 2010 18:21

Thanks for the heads up on where to get previous versions. Much appreciated.

Steve

cybrmutt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cybrmutt » 20 Jul 2010 18:58

Follow up to previous post.

I just downloaded the 1.0.5 win32.exe (at 1.8MB/sec! Thanks!). Offered to uninstall current version,
then installed with out a problem. Thanks again.

Steve

crowngems
New Cone
New Cone

Postby crowngems » 26 Jul 2010 20:09

I got a message for 1.1.0 that offered a bug fixing program-loaded it and still get the annoying skips and delays with streams, but it does play videos already established on a hard drive well. There is a delay while fonts are updated every time I start it, but it does play the hard drived videos well. The problem with the streams keeps me using another player most of the time.

I posted a reply stating problems with the old version download-it seems to be deleted by the moderator. I tried 1.0.6, maybe I ought to try 1.0.5 as stated here in this post, and I might. When I downloaded the old version before from the website I got no executable files, just folders full of vlc mess which could not be booted.

VIC 1.1.0 is not handling the streams like the older version I had, and so I lost access to my news sites and other stuff I like till I found another free player that is much better than VLC for that stuff. Since VLC is free, I can't complain much. I just make do with the other player and windows media player and I might use VLC for DVD's and other videos that are already saved in a hard disk.

Looking forward to the next version.

crowngems

crowngems

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jul 2010 00:41

If you speak about the audio issue with mp3 mono streams, we have a fix for 1.1.2
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlcfanman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcfanman » 29 Jul 2010 01:08

For the use of 1.0.5. I will mention there are two known vulnerabilities:

"Gjoko Krstic has discovered a vulnerability in VLC Media Player, which can be exploited by malicious people to potentially compromise a user's system. The vulnerability is caused due to a race condition error when creating bookmarks and can be exploited to corrupt memory by tricking a user into creating a bookmark while playing a specially crafted file"

http://secunia.com/advisories/38853/

VLC media player suffers from various vulnerabilities when attempting to parse malformatted or overly long byte streams. If successful, a malicious third party could crash the player instance or perhaps execute arbitrary code within the context of VLC media player. Exploitation of those bugs requires the user to explicitly open specifically crafted malicious files. The user may refrain from opening files from untrusted sources.

http://www.videolan.org/security/sa1003.html
http://secunia.com/advisories/39558/

The VLC team has 'released' a 1.0.6 to resolve these security issues (excellent!) - but - for reasons of their own will not be compiling and releasing binaries and installer for 1.0.6.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77956

Maybe they just want to move on to the work of supporting and maintaining the 1.1.x. and do not want to get into any possible new issues introduced into the 1.0.x branch. In any case - this is their decision to make.

VLC is open source and there is lots of documentation. There is nothing to stop anyone from compiling, releasing, and hosting a complied binary and installer for 1.0.6. There is a wiki page about compilation (see menu bar at top of forum) and plenty of help and discussion available. If you do this - put a torrent somewhere and link here. ; )

I need to use 1.0.5 now and then because of an encoding issue of some kind in 1.1.0.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79703

When not using 1.0.5 I revert to 1.1.0. My files are trusted so personally I am not concerned about the security issues. When installing 1.0.5 I deselect 'mozilla plug-in' and 'activex plug-in' from the installer screen to mitigate against possible drive-by exploits through IE or Mozilla based applications.

Sometime I might investigate side by side installation of 1.0.5 and 1.1.x - or better still - use portable distributions of VLC to get the same effect. By the time I get round to it the encoding issue I am having trouble with might be resolved. Running 1.0.x and 1.1.x side by side might again come in handy for investigating and reporting any future changes.

Freedom!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”