Can't get .ssa subtitles to work

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ShenziSixaxis
New Cone
New Cone

Can't get .ssa subtitles to work

Postby ShenziSixaxis » 13 Jul 2010 07:34

So after a very long search (years, actually :cry: ) I found the Japanese version of Sonic X with subtitles. Excellent since I know the American/English version was edited so heavily.

Well, the .avi files came with .ssa subtitles files, and I can't get them to work! Here is one of the subtitle files if anyone wants to look at it.

I've tried...
Opening the .avi and then the .ssa
Opening the .ssa and then the .avi
Opening both files at the same time
Changing the file name on the .ssa
I tried screwing around with my preferences, but dunno what I did so I just turned those to default.

I have version 1.1.0 of VLC player and run on Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. The subtitles are only English.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Can't get .ssa subtitles to work

Postby VLC_help » 13 Jul 2010 13:20

MPCHC doesn't display them either. So the subtitle file itself prolly has some issue(s) (maybe default style is wrong or something like that)

ShenziSixaxis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ShenziSixaxis » 14 Jul 2010 11:39

MPCHC? Not familiar with that.

But since that didn't work, any idea how I could get them to work? The files have the subtitles in them, but they just aren't being used with VLC player.

Heck, if you gave me a guide on how to make subtitle files for these, I might be able to make my own. :D

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 14 Jul 2010 16:17

You could tool like Subtitle Workshop and convert the subtitles to another format (like SubRip aka SRT where there isn't any styling info).

ShenziSixaxis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ShenziSixaxis » 15 Jul 2010 10:07

I converted the files from .ssa to .srt. The ones I've checked so far work. Thanks. :D

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”