Bugs after update. Issues.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
See Frog
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Bugs after update. Issues.

Postby See Frog » 05 Jul 2010 21:04

Some issues.

1. The interface does not conform to size of video. Going from FULL Screen (F11) to original size the interface does not adjust. How do I make the interface conform to the video size ? When I switch to original size I want the boarder to surround the video. :!:

2. Clicking on file in file manager does not smoothly launch video. Sometimes hangs. :!:

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Bugs after update. Issues.

Postby cybmole » 05 Jul 2010 22:32

Some issues.

1. The interface does not conform to size of video. Going from FULL Screen (F11) to original size the interface does not adjust. How do I make the interface conform to the video size ? When I switch to original size I want the boarder to surround the video. :!:

2. Clicking on file in file manager does not smoothly launch video. Sometimes hangs. :!:
I've seen both of those

1. VLC got stuck in fullscreen size mode. reset preferences sorted it.

2. file launch is slow 1st time VLC is used. it's faster later.
here's a quick test:
I clcik on a small .avi ( 23MB) in explorer & start to count: I estimate 1-2 secs for VLC initial window to appear, plus say 3 more secs for it to resize corredtly & start playback. this on a new fast PC. it's no slower than other players but it's not impressively quick either !
same video - open with zoom 3-4 secs to start of playback - open with WMP12 - 6-7 secs. open same clip with VLC again - now it appears in about 1 second!
now is that bcause win 7 already has it in RAm or because some VLC components are still active ?

also I'd add these issues

3. the new 3d desktop mode in Win 7 is buggy, takes lots of toggling things to get it to even work, even more difficult to turn it off again. + it defaults to top left hand of screen - seems no way to center ie or force it to fullscreen like with the old directx wallpaper.

here's the only winning sequence that I can find. a) I can't set 3d desktop before video is played asthat option is greyed out on video menu. so I start video playback, then select 3d desktop, video is now gone - replaced with big ugly back screen + cone - far bigger than video source. & theres no wallpaper. So now I have to stop & restart the video again & also minimse VLC to lose the cone. and now I can see some wallpaper at top left of screen. b) to leave this mode I pretty much have to do all of that in reverse. the old dirext x version was far nicer, expect that it would vanish whnever win 7 decided to change the theme wallpaper, which it does every 30 mins or so.

4.I launch vlc with no media & there's a big cone in the empty window by default,I can't remember how to get rid of that & I've seen a developer post denying that it happens,saying it cannot happen by defauly, has to have been caused by poster messing with settings etc.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Jul 2010 16:39

4. That is default behavior with VLC 1.1.0

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 06 Jul 2010 17:03

4. That is default behavior with VLC 1.1.0
well not according to j-b :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=77771&p=255613&hil ... ot#p255613

"by j-b » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:32 pm

smurfmachine wrote:
What i would like to know is how to move that stupid traffic cone image so it doesnt appear when I first open the program, Its as annoying as hell.

(j-b) :VLC doesn't show the code (sic) by default. You made it show."

anyway, if we can now we are agree that it does show by default - is there any way to change that default setting please ?

publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby publius » 07 Jul 2010 02:09

I too would like to know how to get rid of the Black Screen With Cone. I've gone through the obvious menu choices & not found a setting which seems to show it. I use VLC a good deal for playing audio files, & I expect it to just show a time slider. That was what it was doing at first, I think, but I changed to Playlist view, then back, & it had a little bitty cone in the middle of a black bar above the slider ; then I restarted VLC, & it had a great big cone on a black background. I don't need that.

(Windows XP Professional, 1.1.0 The Luggage)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Jul 2010 12:02

Just resize the window.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 07 Jul 2010 13:23

Just resize the window.
that's a workaound - we want a fix - i.e. remove the cone completely

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Jul 2010 13:41

Just resize the window.
No, the cone is normal if you resize the player to a bigger size than the shrinked one.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 07 Jul 2010 14:56

Just resize the window.
No, the cone is normal if you resize the player to a bigger size than the shrinked one.
but sometimes it resizes all by itself e.g. I open a small .avi file - switch the display to 3d desktop mode, window resizes to show a huge cone ( approx twice the size of source video resolution) ... surely that's not necessary or sensible

Votapardo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Votapardo » 07 Jul 2010 15:36

I have a FLV movie that shows this image:
http://i45.tinypic.com/8z1kpv.jpg

But with VLC 1.1.0 it shows this.
http://i47.tinypic.com/301q3uq.jpg

Does this count as a bug?
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
Sony VAIO VGN-NR11S/S
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.50GHz

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Jul 2010 16:18

but sometimes it resizes all by itself e.g. I open a small .avi file - switch the display to 3d desktop mode, window resizes to show a huge cone ( approx twice the size of source video resolution) ... surely that's not necessary or sensible
Then, this is a bug that should be fixed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

djjake130
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djjake130 » 07 Jul 2010 19:47

ok i don't if you have seen this but when its playing the video its crashes in :arrow: fullscreen mode thats when its done pleying that is its fine when it not in fullscreen mode :?: :?: :?: :?:

djjake130
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djjake130 » 08 Jul 2010 11:51

still no help :?: :?:

publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby publius » 08 Jul 2010 18:23

still no help :?: :?:
Well, it would help if you were more specific.

Does this happen with every video you try? Only with one video? Only with one format — MPEG, WMV, FLV, something else? Obviously, if this were happening to everybody every time, there would be a lot more noise about it, so the more information you can provide as to how this happens, the better. What kind of "crash" are we talking about — just VLC itself, or a full-blown system hard restart? Likewise : what is your OS? How much RAM do you have, what kind of video card, what driver versions? Crashes may be caused by hardware/software incompatibilities, after all.

djjake130
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djjake130 » 08 Jul 2010 18:46

ok just VLC i like uesing it. It doss hapen whith all formats it whot cloos i have to do it my self (fullscreen mode thats when its done pleying that is its fine when it not in fullscreen mode) when its done it stops than black screen than its crashes not responding (white screen)

examinator
New Cone
New Cone

Postby examinator » 18 Jul 2010 02:33

My prime issue with the latest update is that it doesn't recognize Microsoft Dvorak RH setting when editing the titles .Given I have one hand and only a Dvorak RH keyboard.. VLC latest update is useless to me ....please help.

djjake130
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djjake130 » 18 Jul 2010 11:44

helo i still need to fix this

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”