Command line WAV -> AAC not working anymore

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
LuxZg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Command line WAV -> AAC not working anymore

Postby LuxZg » 02 Jul 2010 12:43

Hi everyone,

I'm newbish when VLC command line is in question. But I have used it successfully for a while with earlier versions (1.0.3 for example) to encode WAV file to AAC file through the batch script. I've upgraded VLC few times since last using the script, including latest 1.1.0 yesterday, and now script isn't working anymore.

Here is the old script:

Code: Select all

vlc -vw "E:\path\aaa.wav" --sout=#transcode{acodec=mp4a}:standard{access=file,mux=mp4,dst="E:\path\aaa.aac"} vlc://quit
I've tried the "vlc -vvv" instead of -vw but I still can't get working AAC file (I get a 0kb or 1kb file that won't play, of course).
I've also read in the dev log that access_file was obliterated, in favor of filesystem. But I couldn't find any sample or help that would lead me to solution how to fix this.

I hope someone more experienced can shed some light on this. Thanks!

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Command line WAV -> AAC not working anymore

Postby Lotesdelere » 02 Jul 2010 12:54

Try with "mux=ffmpeg{mux=mp4}" instead of just "mux=mp4".

LuxZg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby LuxZg » 02 Jul 2010 13:02

Like this?

vlc -vw "E:\path\aaa.wav" --sout=#transcode{acodec=mp4a}:standard{access=file,mux=ffmpeg{mux=mp4},dst="E:\path\aaa.aac"} vlc://quit
..or...

vlc -vvv "E:\path\aaa.wav" --sout=#transcode{acodec=mp4a}:standard{access=file,mux=ffmpeg{mux=mp4},dst="E:\path\aaa.aac"} vlc://quit
With first one I get error pop-up (command line pop-up of sorts):
The command line options couldn't be loaded, check that they are valid.

With second one I get zero-byte aac file that is useless.

Any other suggestions?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jul 2010 01:57

what are the logs?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

LuxZg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby LuxZg » 03 Jul 2010 09:08

what are the logs?
Um, just let me see where are the logs first, and I'll get back to you in a few minutes :)

EDIT:
OK, if using -vw switch, I always get that same "The command line options couldn't be loaded, check that they are valid." error, so that can't be used.

If I use -vvv, and muxing either in the "old" way or as Lotesdelere suggested, I get this error:

Streaming / Transcoding failed: VLC could not open the encoder.
So it's not the script, but encoder not loading.. But if I open VLC manually, go to Media, than Convert/Save, Add the same wav file, go to Convert/Save->Convert, set destination, and pick an "Audio - AAC (MP4)" preset, and Start - I get the file that I can play.

Btw, for some reason I couldn't get the proper log file to be created, and I've set the option in the Preferences, even tried creating empty txt file manually and setting the permissions, starting as Admin etc. So this is error copied from the "pop-up" window (which I probably never saw because I had "vlc://quit" at the end of my script :P )

LuxZg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby LuxZg » 04 Jul 2010 10:37

Bump.

Anyone? Am I calling the wrong encoder in the command line? Since encoder obviously works (if done through GUI)..

ILEoo
Developer
Developer

Postby ILEoo » 04 Jul 2010 21:06

You need to post whole -vvv output, not just the parts that says 'error'

LuxZg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby LuxZg » 04 Jul 2010 21:57

You need to post whole -vvv output, not just the parts that says 'error'
Well, I'd be glad to, but command prompt gives out no errors at all, and I can't get the log file running.. :/ Any way to get the output in the command prompt? Seems I'll just have to troubleshoot this myself when I get more time, or go back to earlier version for now.. :/

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”