view - customise interface preferences lost and other bugs v

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

view - customise interface preferences lost and other bugs v

Postby cybmole » 27 Jun 2010 18:25

i spend ages on the view - customise interface screen getting the controls exactly as I want them. I backup vlcrc & restore it after upgrading to latest version (1.05 to 1.10), yet sill my customisations are lost and have to be redone.

why is that - where are these particular settings stored and how do I backup / restore them ? they clearly are NOT held in file vlcrc.

I'm having other issues with v1.1 ( win 7 64 bit ) also.

1. interface got stuck after a couple of minutes of testing, with all videos filling the entire screen and refusing to shrink to source resolution, or to display at source respolution after closing / re=opening player. Had to reset prefs adn cache again to clear that bug. i.e. i could toggle fullscreen view still, but non-fullscreen view was still enlarging all video to fill 1920 x 1200 !

2. I have my arrow keys defined in hot keys as up = go to fullscreen, down = leave fullscreen, but up key is acting as a toggle and down key is having no effect. these controls wroked fine in v1.05 !

3. the hot key screen itself, within preferences has a huge anount of empty screen space, then a very narrow, non adjustable data window which has to be scrolled side to side in order to view hot key settings.

4. view - advanced controls is broken - does nothing - i.e. no extra controls are displayed.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: view - customise interface preferences lost and other bu

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jun 2010 21:06

0. The data is in vlc-qt-interface.conf
1. maximized interface?
2. share your vlcrc file
3. pix
4. You played too much with customize
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 28 Jun 2010 07:24

0. The data is in vlc-qt-interface.conf
1. maximized interface?
2. share your vlcrc file
3. pix
4. You played too much with customize
oK- taking your responses 1 by 1

1.Hmm - after more testing, I can reproduce this at will - here's the steps to reproduce that bug. 1.1 open VLC - no media. 1.2. press my up arrow key (= my assigned hotkey for enter fullscreen mode ). 1.3 drag and drop a .avi file into VLC. the video window now maximises and cannot be un-maximed either via windows controls or via hot keys. if force quit the program and repeat these steps leaving out step 1.2 all is normal. So bug is caused by pressing hotkey for enter fullscreen mode before loading media. This causes VLC to become stuck in maximised mode.

2.I Dont understand you ? do you mean share vlcrc as in post-it-here ? if so, how do I do that ? If not that, what do you mean please. Please test this: define up down as enter/exit fullscreen & see what happens.. NB I already tried clearing my enter / exit hot keys then redefining them and saving. that led to discoverign how to reproduce bug 1 ( see above paragraph) but was no help in resolving this bug.

3. well how do I capture and post the hot keys screen here ?Anyway , i just open VLC ( no media) , go to preferences - simple, hot keys et voila. my desktop is 1920x1200 , the default preferences-simple - hotkeys window shape/size is awful. I can manually resize i.e. drag it from corner of window but there's acreas of empty space at centre of window - hot keys are jammed into Rh third of window. SO window has to be resized manually in order to see hot key assignments, & VLC forgets this resizing if closed & reopened.

4." played too much with customse!!!" - that's what customize options are for, surely- playing with them should not disable other features. especially as all I did was customise them until they resembled my 1.05 setup! What used to happen with view advanced controls, IIRC, is that an extra window would open allowing audio / video symc and other video features. that window no longer appears.

this release's compatibility with previous version is unimpressive - there should be a simple way to update & preserve ALL user settings
Last edited by cybmole on 28 Jun 2010 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jun 2010 09:31

2. File a bug then.
3. I have a 1920x1200 and I don't see the bug, so I would need a picture, yes.
4. If you empty your advanced toolbar, or if you didn't add the adv toolbar to one toolbar, it won't show, of course.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 28 Jun 2010 09:43

2. File a bug then.
3. I have a 1920x1200 and I don't see the bug, so I would need a picture, yes.
4. If you empty your advanced toolbar, or if you didn't add the adv toolbar to one toolbar, it won't show, of course.
I think you posted this while I was editing my previous post, so please re-read my update especially the part about how to reproduce bug 1 - thanks.

re point 2: I Don't know how to file a bug- I though that was what this forum was for , and I don't understand how to capture and post VLC screen images to this forum - sorry. I think that it is a new bug though - the meaning of enter full screen has been changed to a toggle control either delibarately or inadvertantly. and the leave fullscreen mode hot key assignment is broken. maybe it's only when up/downarrow hot keys are used, but I need those specific assignments in order to use my remote control in the way I did for v1.05

re point 3 - i'ts only a minor irritation as manual resizing works, and hotkeys only need to be setup once ( in theory! )

re point 4 above. I dont understand "advanced toolbar". the toolbars editor screen has main toolbar line 1, main toolbar line 2,time toolbar, advanced widget toolbar , and fullscreen toolbar. it has nothing called advanced toolbar.
in my case, main toolbar line 2 is now empty, widget toolbar is still as per default -i.e. contains 4 icons.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jun 2010 11:33

I think you posted this while I was editing my previous post, so please re-read my update especially the part about how to reproduce bug 1 - thanks.
Indeed.
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc for 1.
re point 2: I Don't know how to file a bug- I though that was what this forum was for , and I don't understand how to capture and post VLC screen images to this forum - sorry. I think that it is a new bug though - the meaning of enter full screen has been changed to a toggle control either delibarately or inadvertantly. and the leave fullscreen mode hot key assignment is broken. maybe it's only when up/downarrow hot keys are used, but I need those specific assignments in order to use my remote control in the way I did for v1.05
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc and any http://imageshack.us/ for pix
re point 3 - i'ts only a minor irritation as manual resizing works, and hotkeys only need to be setup once ( in theory! )
File a bug, the same. Especially if it is minor, so it doesn't get forgotten
re point 4 above. I dont understand "advanced toolbar". the toolbars editor screen has main toolbar line 1, main toolbar line 2,time toolbar, advanced widget toolbar , and fullscreen toolbar. it has nothing called advanced toolbar.
in my case, main toolbar line 2 is now empty, widget toolbar is still as per default -i.e. contains 4 icons.
Yes. If you reset, you see that the line1 has an advanced widget toolbar in it and that you can move it. However, it seems to have disappeared from the left side, which is annoying and should be fixed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 29 Jun 2010 11:58

i have a screen grab showing the hotkey window bug, but see no way to embed it here, or to email it to anyone.

other boards allow me to upload a jpg or a zip this one does not ?

why is your error reporting so tortuous & so unsuitable for novices ?

I should not have to register for picture hosting services just to show you bugs that should be picked up by your own QA

the windows layout is like this
| main icons column i.e. cones & text labels.......lots of wasted white space ( not present in 1.05).... narrow subwindow of hot key commands - too narrow to view both kjey and it's assignment without scrolling|

ps when did VLC policy change from "thanks for telling us about that, we've created a bug report - here's the link" - [ how I was treated in April 2010 ]

to " go and file a bug report yourself then, we can't be arsed.. " - current official policy ???

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Jun 2010 01:09

Use imageshack or similar service if you want to share images.

And policies haven't changes, we are just understuffed since there are more complains after 1.1.0 release.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 01 Jul 2010 09:04

update on up/down arrow keys issue.

taking a tip from another thread ( right arrow not working thread). I removed duplicate hot keys settings for up / down arrows i.e. removed the DVD navigation settings.

so up arrow is now only defined as enter fullscreen
down arrow only as leave fullscreen

the good news is that down arrow now works correctly

the no-so-good news is that up-arrow still toggles fulls creen on-off.

now as a documented feature, I'd quite like it that way, it frees up an arrow key, but if it's actulla a bug that's going to be fixed then I should not start to rely on it. ( there was no toggle effect in previous versions)

so can you please clarify if the toggle effect is a feature ( albeit undocumented), or a bug ?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”