Record Steams

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage

Record Steams

Postby Guest » 18 Mar 2005 00:16

Can we record streaming video with vlc--if not can you tell me a software that is a full version and can record windows media and winamp streams

PhunkY
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PhunkY » 21 Mar 2005 11:59

It should be no problem to stream with vlc.
Go to file-open networkstream - tag the box straming output - press the right button properties - tag the box stream to file - enter the name and the location of the file.
If the description doesn´t fit exactly, please notice I used another language surface. So, use this in his context.

PhunkY

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 21 Mar 2005 19:55

Yes, what you do is re-stream the incoming network stream to a file.

File -- Open Network Stream.

Select the proper network stream input -- an mmsh://whatever, else a UDP multicast, else...

Select the "Stream Output" checkbox, then Settings.

This opens a Stream Output window, where you can select File, type in a valid file name. pick the Encapsulation Method.

(for example, if the incoming stream is mp2v/mp2a, no problem saving to a .mpg file, using MPEG PS encapsulation)

You have to make sure that the file is saved in a compatible format -- only certain CODEC types "play nice" with certain encapsulation methods. For example, if I wanted a .asf, I would pick ASF encapsulation, then probably use Transcoding, pick DIV3 video and mp3 audio as the save-to codecs.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”