preferred language settings (add track# and disabled flags)

Feature requests for VLC.
mikeloeven
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

preferred language settings (add track# and disabled flags)

Postby mikeloeven » 18 Mar 2010 04:30

the feature i am proposing is primarily for the anime community who often have to deal with files encoded with several audio and subtitle tracks. the other day i noticed that the preferred language and subtitle language options seem to rely totally on some kind of metadata embedded into the tracks. so that means basically if the person who encodes the tracks or writes the subtitles doesn't name them properly the default language settings are totally useless. in a perfect world you should be able to use either a track number, partial string or disable in the preferred language boxes and have it work.

an example of what i am proposing is this.

say i have a dual audio file with japanese audio and english audio as well as a few subtitle tracks.

i want to watch this one series with english audio and the subtitle track that only translates signs and songs. however the tracks aren't named properly. the proper audio track is called track 2 and the subtitle track is named english signs and lyrics.

i should be able to enter track 2 under preferred language and "signs" into the subtitles box and have the media player automatically match strings. also if i don't want any subtitles i should be able to enter disable into the subtitle language box.

basicly these are a few features i would like to see in the future

mikeloeven
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: preferred language settings (add track# and disabled fla

Postby mikeloeven » 07 Apr 2010 02:40

i cant belive there are no comments on this idea if it is a stupid idea or impossible to impliment could someone at least tell me

TheFalcon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TheFalcon » 13 Apr 2010 15:43

I think it's a stupid idea.
The subtitle and audio tracks are working normal. It only takes you 2 sec to select the language/subtitle.
And I've never heard of strings in audio/subtitle

mikeloeven
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mikeloeven » 08 May 2010 21:37

actually in the preferences there is an option for prefered languages and it is an empty text space where you can enter a string value. and if it works the way i think it does it matches what you wrote for prefered language against the file metadata and if the track contains the string it selects it as the default track. all i am asking for is the ability to match the string against the raw track numbers and include a flag that when the string is set to disable the track will not load at all.

there is also a string for prefered audio language but two seperate pictures uses too much space. but both of these settings need some work

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 May 2010 10:06

you can force the track number too.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

mikeloeven
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mikeloeven » 16 Jun 2010 00:36

you can force the track number too.
i have tried entering track2 track 2 2 but it doesent work most of the time even if i enter the entire track name complete with punctuation and special characters i have even tried in quotes and brackets. unless you can tell me what i am doing wrong. i think you misunderstood what i was asking.

kostmo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kostmo » 14 Sep 2010 13:10

*bump*

I'd like to know how to force a default audio track number (e.g. - when language metadata is not present in the file). Can this be done through the preferences dialog? I've tried inputting variations on "2" and "Track 2" in the "Preferred audio language" box like mikeloeven describes, but it doesn't do anything.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”