DVD Simple OK, DVD Menus Choppy on Windows XP

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
ElGaucho

DVD Simple OK, DVD Menus Choppy on Windows XP

Postby ElGaucho » 19 Jan 2005 02:21

I use VLC frequently to play rented DVDs (Argentina). I have Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 (from Europe). The DVDs run fine with "dvdsimple" but when I use dvdmenu the video is always very choppy and as such is unusable. I have looked at other posts, but there doesn't seem to be a solution. Is this a bug ?

thestealthpenguin

Windows XP, Choppy Play, DVD Menus, DVD Simple fix

Postby thestealthpenguin » 19 Jan 2005 15:32

i have the exact same problem... for weeks ive been trying to figure out why my dvds played choppy... these are just normal regular dvds... brand new... the dvd player drive didnt seem to be the problem... and just when i was about ready to give up and try formating my whole computer... i say 'well, aparently you can play the movie with or without the menus... why not give it a try'... and... it works simple... i also have windows XP... so... just so you know, theres someone else with the same problem out there... Dvd with Menus plays choppy... DVD Simple plays fine on Windows XP...

thestealthpenguin

Postby Guest » 20 Jan 2005 16:23

I had the same problem on my notebook. Finally I found, that the DMA-Mode for my DVD drive's IDE-controller was not activated. Since I switched from PIO-Mode to DMA everything's fine. Now also the "DVD with menu" setting works well.

soul65

how to enable DMA

Postby soul65 » 07 Mar 2005 22:40

Postby Guest » 08 Mar 2005 00:04

Why with the menu mode becomes choppy with the latest 0.8.2? I tried earlier verison 0.7.2 and it had no problem. I didn't need to change anything for DMA at all before... why need to now?

thehiatus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thehiatus » 21 May 2005 17:34

I also had the same problem. 0.8.1 worked fine and 0.8.2 became choppy. dvdsimple, however, still works in both.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”