Subtitle problem!

macOS specific usage questions
TeeSee
New Cone
New Cone

Subtitle problem!

Postby TeeSee » 08 Mar 2010 06:22

When I use subtitles on older VLC 1.0.3 it uses the subtitle that it's supposed to, for any video I play with the right style. However, when I use VLC 1.0.5 it was some ugly default subtitle with an ugly style. How can I make the right font and font style appear on the latest VLC?

Image explaining my problem: http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8264/fontissue.png

LadyC
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Subtitle problem!

Postby LadyC » 19 Mar 2010 18:18

You can change the subtitle text by going into Preferences, clicking on the All radio button lower left corner. Then click on Input/Codecs > Other Codecs > Subtitles. Hope this works for you!

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 21 Mar 2010 20:33

In fact, there are more easily accessible options for this in VLC's regular Preferences window in the "Subtitles & OSD" category.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Pixelmatsch
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.0.3
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby Pixelmatsch » 23 Mar 2010 02:27

I think TeeSee did not ask about setting a default font for subtitles, I think he has the same problem I have with 1.0.5:

With 1.0.3 and default settings .ass subtitle files embedded in a video are displayed respecting the font, color, size, etc. specified in those files, which results in subtitles looking like in the right half of the image posted by TeeSee. With 1.0.5 and default settings all embedded info on subtitle styling gets ignored and the deafult font, color, size, etc. are used, which results in subtitles looking like in the left half of the image TeeSee posted.

In the location LadyC suggested there is an option called "Formatted Subtitles", it is checked by default. If unchecked, there are no subtitles at all.

TeeSee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TeeSee » 24 Mar 2010 14:29

I think TeeSee did not ask about setting a default font for subtitles, I think he has the same problem I have with 1.0.5:

With 1.0.3 and default settings .--please stay polite-- subtitle files embedded in a video are displayed respecting the font, color, size, etc. specified in those files, which results in subtitles looking like in the right half of the image posted by TeeSee. With 1.0.5 and default settings all embedded info on subtitle styling gets ignored and the deafult font, color, size, etc. are used, which results in subtitles looking like in the left half of the image TeeSee posted.

In the location LadyC suggested there is an option called "Formatted Subtitles", it is checked by default. If unchecked, there are no subtitles at all.
This is indeed what I mean. I would use VLC 1.0.3 if it wouldn't take a minute to open a file.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”