Browser Activation of VLC

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
aharris
New Cone
New Cone

Browser Activation of VLC

Postby aharris » 03 Feb 2005 20:54

I absolutely cannot figure out how to get this application to start when a link on a web page is clicked. I don't even know if it is possible. Does anyone know how to get this accomplished.

scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby scoutice » 14 Feb 2005 08:31

do you want to start it on the client or on the server?

on the client you have to bind it to the content types or file-endings, like you start it in the explorer

on the server you will have to start it using a scripting language such as perl or php.

greetingz

Postby Guest » 02 Mar 2005 17:16

I have the same question. I have many divx and mpeg movies on my home computer. I sent up Netfile Web server and now I can browse my files from anywhere. But if I click on them, the browser wants to transfer the file (save as). I would like to be able to stream them instead and watch them with Windows Media Player. VLC or VLS looks like it could work, but I need an example. I'd like to avoid hard coding each video file link as the contents often change. What would be really cool is to use myHTPC as a remote front end and then stream whatever is selected. Someone must have done this already.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

:)

Postby Guest » 02 Mar 2005 17:42

I have the same question. I have many divx and mpeg movies on my home computer. I sent up Netfile Web server and now I can browse my files from anywhere. But if I click on them, the browser wants to transfer the file (save as). I would like to be able to stream them instead and watch them with Windows Media Player. VLC or VLS looks like it could work, but I need an example. I'd like to avoid hard coding each video file link as the contents often change. What would be really cool is to use myHTPC as a remote front end and then stream whatever is selected. Someone must have done this already.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

:)
IIRC, Meedio (successor to myHTPC) is working on a web-front to its SQL database, that would stream selected content via VLC. In the mean time, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to implement a poor-man's (really poor-coders) alternative while I wait.

A web-page that reflects a folder's heirarchy with links that call the appropriate VLC streaming command for the selected media, as well as a vlc command to stream a playlist of mp3s.

scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC

Postby scoutice » 03 Mar 2005 09:02

see this alternative
viewtopic.php?t=7065
plays also files on your harddisk, not only live-tv

greetings, thomas

osetivo
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC

Postby osetivo » 06 Mar 2005 02:44

guest from previous post re Meedio
see this alternative
viewtopic.php?t=7065
plays also files on your harddisk, not only live-tv

greetings, thomas
I've been playing with it, but not long enough to have gotten it to work.
As far as streaming from a live source, I'm just interested in capturing from the s-video line in from my DirecTV/TiVo box.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”