choosing a video input card for streaming

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
ramada
New Cone
New Cone

choosing a video input card for streaming

Postby ramada » 04 Mar 2005 14:07

Hi.
Is there any review about the video input cards that work best with VLC? Hauppauge? Pinnacle?
Has someone tried a USB2.0 card?

Thanks.
Ramada

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 04 Mar 2005 16:12

Your operating system?
Are you looking for just a framegrabber (something that takes a composite or s-video signal; from a camera), or do you need a tv tuner card?

ramada
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ramada » 04 Mar 2005 16:35

I am planning to use WinXP.
I want a card with composite or s-video input (if it has a tv tuner, no prob :lol: ). My idea is to have a portable PC box with a 15'' TFT to connect a camcorder and transmit the workshops via unicast to a central server that uses VLC to multicast the video to all the campus. Can you give me an idea of the HW to use?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Ramada

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 04 Mar 2005 17:01

For a PCI card, the Viewcast Osprey 210 is a decent, reasonably priced item with good performance, 640x480 resolution, full 30 fps. I use this one myself, both Win2K and WinXP.

For a USB frame grabber, the thing is to make sure that it has DirectX (directshow) support, as that's what VLC uses under Windows.

If I could live with 320x240 resolution, 15 frames per second (at best), I would probably try the Osprey 50 USB; based on what's in the manual, I expect it is a directshow device, though have not personally veified this. Alternately, stay with the 210 but pick up a Magma box -- it's an outboard PCI card holder, with PC card that goes into a laptop. I have not used either of these two approaches (I have, independently, used the Magma box, just not for this application; at near $1K, it's not cheap, but can be much simpler than schlepping around a full size PC if you just need 1 external PCI slot.)

Other vendors make fine products, too, just that I've had good luck with the Ospreys.

Rafa Chao
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rafa Chao » 04 Mar 2005 17:11

Be careful with compressors.

they have delays upper than 3 seconds when streaming live video.

Hauppauge PVR 350 /250 is not a good option if you want to stream live video.

No way to reduce the video delay....

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2005 18:56

I am thinking maybe to buy pinnacle movie studio 9 USB. But I am wondering about a av/dv card... usb external box is more portable to install in another PCs... well I have to think a little more!
I think it sure has Directx 9 support.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”