No Neither.
6%

Total votes: 17

brentonjay
New Cone
New Cone

Support for Windows MCE remote control

Postby brentonjay » 19 Nov 2008 00:08

I would like to see support for the windows media center remote control.
Windows media center doesn't support all the video formats that vlc does.
Which i'm sure you all know that's why you use vlc. I know it's what I prefer.

I have my PC connected to my TV and when I need to pause a movie, or skip an episode or song that's playing I have to go to my PC to do so.
It would be much easier to be able to use the MCE remote.
So please add this feature so I can be lazy again lol.

Thanks,
BrentonJay

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Support for Windows MCE remote control

Postby VLC_help » 19 Nov 2008 14:48

Use software to bind your remote buttons to mediakeys, then bind them to VLC via Tools -> Preferences... Hotkeys.

brentonjay
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brentonjay » 22 Nov 2008 09:03

Thank you!

kokesh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kokesh » 24 Nov 2008 16:29

I tried to bind keys from my IR remote to VLC, but it's not caputring them. I tried to show codes for pressed keys in one little app I found on net and it sends normal keystrokes. It's just VLC who cannot capture all of RC's keys. What to do?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Nov 2008 09:45

Use external software to remap those keys. Like EventGhost.

kokesh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kokesh » 25 Nov 2008 23:12

I tried to bind keys from my IR remote to VLC, but it's not caputring them. I tried to show codes for pressed keys in one little app I found on net and it sends normal keystrokes. It's just VLC who cannot capture all of RC's keys. What to do?
It works now, I would say that i am Idiot who didn't click on Set key after pressing desired key on remote :D

By the way - if somebody is interested, my remote is VERY cheap one from eBay, it's my first PC remote, but I would say that it can do most things which keyboard and mouse can do.
Here is link to eBay if anybody is interested.
It has separate keys for Open file, Fullscreen, close app, numpad, minimize, mouse (work surprisingly good)+left+right click, email,internet,...,tv,photo,video,play,pause,...volume,page,tab,backspace,etc

davuswho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davuswho » 25 Dec 2008 11:34

I'm using a more generic remote controll that came with my dell computer and its original software cyberlink suuite. it allowed me to controll all aspects of wmp11 complete with being able to rewind divx/xvid movies, pause, stop.. and even navigate DVD menu's. since i have rebuilt my pc, the remote now lets me use back, next, pause, mute, up/down volume and no simple play and menu options on dvd. I dont care about the dvd menus as much as I do being able to use this remote with VLC. It's a standard IR reciever.. I even tried setting a hotkey in VLC by pushing buttons on my remove at the IR with no luck. So far ive only been able to map my g15 keyboards media keys to the hotkeys in VLC.

Anyone else out there who has suffored this aggrevation, or could think of any tips on how to resolve this isssue. If there was a way for my remote to work with those junk Cyberlink and WMP products.. there is surely a way we can make it work with VLC...

I have downloaded the program recomended EventGhost, however it is not letting me try to input commands from my remote to map to macros or hotkeys for eventghost or vlc. I could be going about it all wrong.. any and all tips or tricks would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Dave

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Dec 2008 19:55

Eventghost should register remote press. Naturally your remote software might do some ugly tricks that might prevent normal binds to remote keys.

davuswho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davuswho » 26 Dec 2008 07:46

Eventghost should register remote press. Naturally your remote software might do some ugly tricks that might prevent normal binds to remote keys.

Hrm.. I did not see an option for that..
Assuming I just go to File, New, what exactly should I do in order to get the program to record the remote functions? There is actually no software that came with it other than the default HID Windows Drivers

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 26 Dec 2008 21:22

http://www.eventghost.org/wiki/Controll ... rogramming
that should explain how to use Eventghost.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 01 Jan 2009 21:22

then just integrate eventghost in to vlc

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Jan 2009 16:37

I don't think that would help. Eventghost binary setup is over 9 megs so it would make VLC release much fatter. And IMHO messing python and C/C++ together isn't very nice.

mrg9999
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrg9999 » 12 Feb 2010 09:52

The killer feature of VLC for me is other than the wide range of formats that is a given, is the j,k audio sync tuning. 99% of my rips play fine, except those for the ipod, and I have to delay the sound by 200Ms.
How difficult would it be for the VLC team to produce a version that supports windows media versions ,like windows 7 natively, without using eventghost or arens exellent, but IMO, sometimes flaky controller.

If only I could get mythtv working properly, vlc supports the mce remote fine.

Mr.G

jjr87
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jjr87 » 07 Mar 2010 03:04

Hi,
For someone who has no idea what they're doing, but what also like to get in on the laziness, would anyone care to lay out a step-by-step guide on how to "bind" my remote using a software? Or at the very least, direct me to a "Controlling VLC with MCE remote Guide for Dummies."

Would be awesome to set this up (and maybe learn a little something in the process-'cause that's what we're all here for, right?). Thanks.

jeremybnks
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jeremybnks » 20 Jun 2010 08:14

I also have an MCE remote that I would like to use with VLC. I've downloaded Eventghost but I don't know how to configure it. I would also very much appreciate a brief explanation from someone who's been successful.

likwidflame
New Cone
New Cone

Postby likwidflame » 22 Jun 2010 20:38

This EventGhost thing looks awesome, however it lacks one thing that MCE has... file browsing. Unless I'm missing something, I still have to go through the File - Open, which on my tv doesn't look so good.

I'd like to see a simple user chosen (or preset) background with full remote control capabilities, and 'Green Button' Launching support. I like just pressing the Green button and letting it go. Unfortunately, MCE isn't so great even after I've appended the fix to play MKV's (Google it, it's easy peasy)

Plus, Windows is windows man... I don't want to use it. I feel gross every time.

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Ludrax » 25 Nov 2013 14:44

How difficult would it be for the VLC team to produce a version that supports windows media versions ,like windows 7 natively, without using eventghost or arens exellent, but IMO, sometimes flaky controller.
apparently not interested :-|
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”