FULL Silent Install

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
obogobo
New Cone
New Cone

FULL Silent Install

Postby obogobo » 11 Mar 2008 04:44

Hey guys I was wondering how to get the full VLC install while using the /S switch. Is there a way to just have it do a complete and silent install?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: FULL Silent Install

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Mar 2008 05:01

Not that we know.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

dr_nick99
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dr_nick99 » 01 Jun 2008 20:51

You can do a full and silent installation, it just takes a bit of work.

1. Download and install nsis from http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download. This will let you recompile the installation program.
2. Download and extract the VLC Windows Zip package from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html.
3. Open the vlc.win32.nsi file with Notepad
4. On line 7, enter the version. Should look something like this:

Code: Select all

!define PRODUCT_VERSION "0.8.6f"
5. Change line 23 so that the file name uses the correct version variable: ${PRODUCT_VERSION} instead of ${VERSION}. Like this:

OutFile ..\vlc-${PRODUCT_VERSION}-win32.exe
6. The component list begins at about line 324. Each component looks like "Section "Component Name" SEC0#. If a '/o' is in front of the component name, it will not be selected by default. Remove the '/o' to have it be selected. Removing them from the Mozilla Plugin and Context Menu components turns it into a full install:

Section /o "Mozilla plugin" SEC03
becomes:

Section "Mozilla plugin" SEC03
7. From your command prompt (or script), run:

start /w vlc-0.8.6f-win32.exe /S
BONUS: If you don't want VLC to be associated with some file types, put a semicolon in front of the line containing that extension. That list begins on line 110. I did this for DRM enabled files like WMA, WMV, ASF, and ASX.

cscmikrotuki
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cscmikrotuki » 09 Apr 2009 17:06

I had trouble repackaging the installer - the install directory was different, there was no uninstaller and the plugins didn't install as expected. So here's an another way to do a full silent install with most default settings:

1) Download the latest installer .exe
2) Copy the exe to a network distribution point, make an install.bat to go with it:

REM Remove (possible) self-msi-packaged VideoLAN 0.8.4a %systemroot%\system32\MsiExec.exe /X{3F927A23-9913-4BBF-B70D-566327589B72} /PASSIVE REM Remove earlier official VideoLAN versions "%ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" /S REM Tidy up the removal of earlier versions rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN" REM Install VLC Player 0.9.8a with default options \\distr\share\VLCplayer\vlc-0.9.8a-win32.exe /S REM Continue with manual install of browser plugins - these won't be included in the uninstall after this REM Install Mozilla VLC Plugin 0.9.8a if exist "%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %systemroot%\system32\xcopy.exe \\distr\share\VLCplayer\vlc-0.9.8a\mozilla\npvlc.dll "%ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\" /y /c if exist "%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %systemroot%\system32\xcopy.exe \\distr\share\VLCplayer\vlc-0.9.8a\mozilla\npvlc.dll.manifest "%ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\" /y /c if exist "%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" %systemroot%\regedit.exe /s \\distr\share\VLCplayer\VLCMozPlug.reg REM Install IE VLC Plugin 0.9.8a %systemroot%\system32\xcopy.exe \\distr\share\VLCplayer\vlc-0.9.8a\activex\axvlc.dll "%ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\" /y /c %systemroot%\system32\xcopy.exe \\distr\share\VLCplayer\vlc-0.9.8a\activex\axvlc.dll.manifest "%ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\" /y /c %systemroot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s "%ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\axvlc.dll" REM Allow desktop icon to be moved by users %systemroot%\system32\cacls.exe "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\VLC Media Player.lnk" /e /g users:c
3) add the VLCMozPlug.reg to the distr directory by installing the soft by hand, then exporting with regedit the relevant key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=0.9.8a] "Description"="VLC Multimedia Plugin" "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\npvlc.dll" "Product"="VLC media player" "Vendor"="VideoLAN" "Version"="0.9.8a"

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Apr 2009 18:07

VideoLAN 0.8.4a....

no comment.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

sriliam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sriliam » 05 Jun 2009 19:44

@cscmikrotuki

Hi,

Probably to late for an answer, cause you've got a programmed solution and what is in the computer doesn't need to be "better" re-programmed, isn't it ?
Ok, you're humoristic solution cscmikrotuki is not so bad but, if you look carefully to the nsi code, you'll see :

Section $Name_Section01 SEC01
[blah-blah]
!insertmacro InstallFolder plugins
!insertmacro InstallFolder locale
[blah-blah]
!insertmacro InstallFolder lua
[blah-blah]
EndSection

;Section MozillaPlugin, now
Section $Name_Section03 SEC03
SectionIn 3

SetOutPath "$INSTDIR"
!insertmacro OpenUninstallLog
!insertmacro InstallFile mozilla\npvlc.dll
!insertmacro InstallFile mozilla\npvlc.dll.manifest
!insertmacro CloseUninstallLog
[blah-blah]
EndSection

[blah-blah]
EndFile

Where does "!insertmacro InstallFolder mozilla" is ? Good question ... and good answer !

Just put the apropriate InstallFolder for mozilla and activex and you're in !!!
Don't forgot to put 1 3 in SectionIn Context for both mozilla and activex sections and get rid of "/o" option !

Hmmm, don't know how you are on your keyboard, but I'm faster cause there's less entry to give in nsi file ! :)

See ya.
Best regards

OldMax
New Cone
New Cone

Postby OldMax » 26 Feb 2010 11:25

install mozilla & activex. in full and Recommended options.
(silent: vlc-1.0.5-win32.exe /S) [ big "S" ;) ]

edit only:

!ifdef INSTALL_MOZILLA Section $Name_Section03 SEC03 SectionIn 1 3 !ifdef INSTALL_ACTIVEX Section $Name_Section04 SEC04 SectionIn 1 3 ;; !insertmacro MUI_LANGDLL_DISPLAY ;; MessageBox MB_YESNO|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION $Message_AlreadyInstalled IDNO done ;Run the uninstaller ;uninst: ;; ClearErrors ;; ExecWait '$R0 _?=$INSTDIR' ;Do not copy the uninstaller to a temp file
You can do a full and silent installation, it just takes a bit of work.

1. Download and install nsis from http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download. This will let you recompile the installation program.
2. Download and extract the VLC Windows Zip package from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html.
3. Open the vlc.win32.nsi file with Notepad
4. On line 7, enter the version. Should look something like this:

!define PRODUCT_VERSION "0.8.6f"
5. Change line 23 so that the file name uses the correct version variable: ${PRODUCT_VERSION} instead of ${VERSION}. Like this:

OutFile ..\vlc-${PRODUCT_VERSION}-win32.exe
6. The component list begins at about line 324. Each component looks like "Section "Component Name" SEC0#. If a '/o' is in front of the component name, it will not be selected by default. Remove the '/o' to have it be selected. Removing them from the Mozilla Plugin and Context Menu components turns it into a full install:

Section /o "Mozilla plugin" SEC03
becomes:

Section "Mozilla plugin" SEC03
7. From your command prompt (or script), run:

start /w vlc-0.8.6f-win32.exe /S
BONUS: If you don't want VLC to be associated with some file types, put a semicolon in front of the line containing that extension. That list begins on line 110. I did this for DRM enabled files like WMA, WMV, ASF, and ASX.

fishware
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fishware » 26 Feb 2010 16:21

Well... My silent install runs perfect! But there ist still the question about privacy and updating functions...!

%~dp0vlc-1.0.5-win32.exe /L=1033 /S /NCRC del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\VLC media player.lnk" rd "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\" /s /q MKDIR "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\" copy "VLC media player.lnk" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\"
Icon to VLC starts with:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --no-qt-privacy-ask
WORKS FINE!

If i start VLC with the icon, the privacy-question does not appear... BUT if i open a *.MP3 oder anything directly, the question will be displayed... Thats not what i want!

I'll deploying vlc for 1000+ PCs and its note possible that every user must configure these settings self.

Are there any settings, registry-keys or something else to eliminate this question?! I also need a *no auto-update* function... But this can wait... ;-)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Feb 2010 17:23

Well... My silent install runs perfect! But there ist still the question about privacy and updating functions...!

%~dp0vlc-1.0.5-win32.exe /L=1033 /S /NCRC del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\VLC media player.lnk" rd "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\" /s /q MKDIR "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\" copy "VLC media player.lnk" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\VideoLAN\"
Icon to VLC starts with:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --no-qt-privacy-ask
WORKS FINE!

If i start VLC with the icon, the privacy-question does not appear... BUT if i open a *.MP3 oder anything directly, the question will be displayed... Thats not what i want!

I'll deploying vlc for 1000+ PCs and its note possible that every user must configure these settings self.

Are there any settings, registry-keys or something else to eliminate this question?! I also need a *no auto-update* function... But this can wait... ;-)
Sure, set qt-privacy-ask to 0 in vlcrc.
Set the update to 0 in vlcrc.

Anyway, in VLC 1.1, the privacy will run only the first time and never after again.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

lawson23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lawson23 » 08 Jul 2010 21:57

Is there a way to add to the /S switch? For different types of silent installs?

Maybe one that does Logging to see what is going on if we have a problem? Or one that shows the install display but does not allow user interaction.

targa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby targa » 11 Jul 2010 07:17

the vlc.win32.nsi is not available in the latest version of vlc. How can I make vlc install silently with mozilla plugin enabled by default please?

Thanks

TarGa

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Jul 2010 16:32

The file should be back with VLC 1.1.1

ruddj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ruddj » 23 Jul 2010 08:10

I've found the best way to make it silent is to fix the bug in compiler script on line 837. This should really be included in the source version.
It means that when doing a silent install and it detects an already installed version it will uninstall it. While if you are doing an interactive install it keeps the option to ask you.

Original reads

MessageBox MB_YESNO|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION $Message_AlreadyInstalled IDNO done
Add the silent default option /SD IDNO

MessageBox MB_YESNO|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION $Message_AlreadyInstalled /SD IDNO IDNO done

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Jul 2010 11:14

Send a patch to vlc-devel
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

BrunoBozic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BrunoBozic » 15 Sep 2010 10:24

I am trying to push the silent install over a domain to all computers.

Is it possible to implement the solution you guys discuss in this thread WITHOUT the "/S" switch?
I am unsure if I can push this exe over the domain with this added argument.

gurugabe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gurugabe » 29 Apr 2011 14:54

I know this topic is a little old, but here is what I came up with to perform a full silent install of the latest version of VLC with firefox addon. I know it is a little complex, but it works on 32bit systems and 64bit and uninstalls the program before the install in case you are upgrading the program and sets VLC as the default video player for some of the popular formats ie vob wmv. Tested on VLC Version 1.1.9.

@echo off
if exist "%programfiles(x86)%" goto 64
if not exist "%programfiles(x86)%" goto 32

:64
Echo Uninstalling Old VLC Versions
IF EXIST "%Programfiles(x86)%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" "%Programfiles(x86)%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" /S /NCRC
cls
echo.
Echo Waiting for Uninstall to Finish
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
IF EXIST "%allusersprofile%\desktop\vlc media player.lnk" del "%allusersprofile%\desktop\vlc media player.lnk" /f /q
IF EXIST "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop\vlc media player.lnk" del "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop\vlc media player.lnk" /f /q

Echo Installing VLC Media player
"\\fileserver\software$\VLC Media Player\vlc-1.1.9-win32.exe" /L=1033 /S /NCRC

Echo Setting VLC as Default Media player
reg add HKCR\.ASF /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.ASX /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.AVI /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.DIVX /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.MPEG /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.MPG /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.VOB /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.WMV /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\VlcFile /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC File" /f

reg add HKCR\VlcFile\DefaultIcon /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe,0" /f
reg add HKCR\VlcFile\shell\Open\command /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe \"%L\"" /f

Echo Adding Mozilla plugin if needed
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" echo f|xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y "\\fileserver\software$\VLC Media Player\npvlc.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\npvlc.dll"
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" echo f|xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y "\\fileserver\software$\VLC Media Player\npvlc.dll.manifest" "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\npvlc.dll.manifest"
Echo Setting Mozilla Plugin
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v Description /t REG_SZ /d "VLC Multimedia Plugin" /f
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v Path /t REG_SZ /d "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\npvlc.dll" /f
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v Product /t REG_SZ /d "VLC Multimedia Plugin" /f
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v Vendor /t REG_SZ /d "VideoLAN" /f
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v "Version" /t REG_SZ /d "1.1.9" /f

exit

:32
Echo Uninstalling Old VLC Versions
IF EXIST "%Programfiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" "%Programfiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" /S /NCRC

cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
ping fileserver
cls
echo.
IF EXIST "%allusersprofile%\desktop\vlc media player.lnk" del "%allusersprofile%\desktop\vlc media player.lnk" /f /q
IF EXIST "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop\vlc media player.lnk" del "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop\vlc media player.lnk" /f /q

Echo Installing VLC Media player
"\\fileserver\software$\VLC Media Player\vlc-1.1.9-win32.exe" /L=1033 /S /NCRC

Echo Setting VLC as Default Media player
reg add HKCR\.ASF /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.ASX /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.AVI /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.DIVX /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.MPEG /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.MPG /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.VOB /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\.WMV /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f
reg add HKCR\VlcFile /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC File" /f

reg add HKCR\VlcFile\DefaultIcon /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe,0" /f
reg add HKCR\VlcFile\shell\Open\command /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe \"%L\"" /f

Echo Adding Mozilla plugin if needed
if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" echo f|xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y "\\fileserver\software$\VLC Media Player\npvlc.dll" "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\npvlc.dll"
if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" echo f|xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y "\\fileserver\software$\VLC Media Player\npvlc.dll.manifest" "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\npvlc.dll.manifest"
Echo Setting Mozilla Plugin
if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v Description /t REG_SZ /d "VLC Multimedia Plugin" /f
if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v Path /t REG_SZ /d "C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\npvlc.dll" /f
if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v Product /t REG_SZ /d "VLC Multimedia Plugin" /f
if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v Vendor /t REG_SZ /d "VideoLAN" /f
if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=1.1.9 /v "Version" /t REG_SZ /d "1.1.9" /f
exit

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Apr 2011 15:39

And why not, let me see, patch the Open Source installer?

Sometimes, I don't understand people...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Taomyn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Taomyn » 07 Jun 2011 15:20

I know this topic is a little old, but here is what I came up with to perform a full silent install of the latest version of VLC with firefox addon. I know it is a little complex, but it works on 32bit systems and 64bit and uninstalls the program before the install in case you are upgrading the program and sets VLC as the default video player for some of the popular formats ie vob wmv. Tested on VLC Version 1.1.9.
Nice script, so I hope you didn't mind me tweaking it a bit so I can use it through LogMeIn One2Many. Here's my version:

@echo off set vlcvers=1.1.10 set pf= set rf= if defined ProgramFiles(x86) echo This is a 64bit system if defined ProgramFiles(x86) set pf=%ProgramFiles(x86)% if defined ProgramFiles(x86) set rf=\Wow6432Node if not defined ProgramFiles(x86) echo This is a 64bit system if not defined ProgramFiles(x86) set pf=%ProgramFiles% if not defined ProgramFiles(x86) set rf= echo Killing browser processes taskkill /t /im firefox.exe taskkill /t /f /im firefox.exe taskkill /t /im iexplorer.exe taskkill /t /f /im iexplorer.exe echo Uninstalling Old VLC Versions if exist "%pf%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" start "Uninstall old VLC" /wait "%pf%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" /S /NCRC echo Waiting for system to catch up, even though I use /wait before! sleep 10 echo Installing VLC Media player start "Install new VLC" /wait vlc-%vlcvers%-win32 /L=1033 /S /NCRC echo Setting VLC as Default Media player reg add HKCR\.ASF /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f reg add HKCR\.ASX /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f reg add HKCR\.AVI /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f reg add HKCR\.DIVX /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f reg add HKCR\.MPEG /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f reg add HKCR\.MPG /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f reg add HKCR\.VOB /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f reg add HKCR\.WMV /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC.asf" /f reg add HKCR\VlcFile /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "VLC File" /f reg add HKCR\VlcFile\DefaultIcon /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "%pf%\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe,0" /f reg add HKCR\VlcFile\shell\Open\command /v @ /t REG_SZ /d "%pf%\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe \"%L\"" /f if exist "%pf%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" ( echo Adding Mozilla plugin echo f|xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y "npvlc.dll" "%pf%\VideoLAN\VLC\" echo f|xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y "npvlc.dll.manifest" "%pf%\VideoLAN\VLC\" echo Setting Mozilla Plugin reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE%rf%\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=%vlcver% /v Description /t REG_SZ /d "VLC Multimedia Plugin" /f reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE%rf%\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=%vlcver% /v Path /t REG_SZ /d "%pf%\VideoLAN\VLC\npvlc.dll" /f reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE%rf%\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=%vlcver% /v Product /t REG_SZ /d "VLC Multimedia Plugin" /f reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE%rf%\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=%vlcver% /v Vendor /t REG_SZ /d "VideoLAN" /f reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE%rf%\MozillaPlugins\@videolan.org/vlc,version=%vlcver% /v "Version" /t REG_SZ /d "%vlcver%" /f ) echo Remove desktop icon IF EXIST "%allusersprofile%\desktop\vlc media player.lnk" del "%allusersprofile%\desktop\vlc media player.lnk" /f /q IF EXIST "%public%\Desktop\vlc media player.lnk" del "%public%\Desktop\vlc media player.lnk" /f /q
As you can see it's a bit more compact by using variables to control 32/64bit stuff.

I really wish the VLC team would expose the parameters to control an install properly :geek:

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Jun 2011 00:24

I still don't get why you spend time to write scripts instead of fixing the vlc installer script...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

lawson23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lawson23 » 04 Aug 2011 18:13

anyone know why I can't find the nsis file for vlc 1.1.11? Downloaded and extracted the windows zip version and no vlc.win32.nsi in fact no *.nsi

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Aug 2011 23:30

Use the 7z
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

lawson23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lawson23 » 10 Aug 2011 22:16

Thanks the 7z file does have the needed nsi file.

Is there a way to make the install automatically uninstall the previous version silently? /S is not silent when doing this it ask if you would like to uninstall or not then shows the language prompt. If I uninstall manually vlc first then the install is silent.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Aug 2011 00:12

Patch the installer .nsi file
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

lawson23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lawson23 » 11 Aug 2011 15:27

Patch the installer .nsi file
Could you be more specific? I made changes to the nsi file and compiled is there something specific to enter to automatically remove previous versions?

ruddj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ruddj » 11 Aug 2011 16:38

Could you be more specific? I made changes to the nsi file and compiled is there something specific to enter to automatically remove previous versions?
See my previous post in this thread for silent uninstall.
I've found the best way to make it silent is to fix the bug in compiler script on line 837. This should really be included in the source version.
It means that when doing a silent install and it detects an already installed version it will uninstall it. While if you are doing an interactive install it keeps the option to ask you.

Original reads

MessageBox MB_YESNO|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION $Message_AlreadyInstalled IDNO done
Add the silent default option /SD IDNO

MessageBox MB_YESNO|MB_ICONEXCLAMATION $Message_AlreadyInstalled /SD IDNO IDNO done

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”