macOS specific usage questions
digicide
New Cone
New Cone

v1.1 for OS X horribly broken

Postby digicide » 21 Feb 2010 06:26

All the nightlies for 1.1 on OS X fail with error

Code: Select all

Library not loaded: ///Users/buildbot/slave/nb-intel-osx-trunk/build/extras/contrib/hosts/i686-apple-darwin9/lib/libintl.8.dylib
If I find that dylib and put it in that directory, it launches, but the video never appears. Also, the menus are not the same as the screenshots I've seen for v1.1-- I was hoping to do some LUA interface scripting, but the menu isn't even there.

I'm on OS X 10.6.1, using vlc-git-intel-20100131-0015.zip from January 31st 2010. Anyone else getting this?

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Re: v1.1 for OS X horribly broken

Postby ajmas » 21 Feb 2010 23:07

Looks like a build issue. I doubt it should be looking for the lib there, since no one will have that path, except for the build bot.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 22 Feb 2010 18:16

Well, that linking issue is easily solvable by using install_name_tool. However, it appears like a general problem.

There is little development on VLC 1.1 for the Mac right now. You'll need to use Lunettes (see http://wiki.videolan.org/Lunettes) for LUA UI scripting as the legacy interface will not be updated to this feature. It works great in Lunettes though, which will be the future of VLC for the Mac anyway.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

digicide
New Cone
New Cone

Postby digicide » 22 Feb 2010 18:29

Lunettes-- wow I had no idea, it's looking awesome. I've got some friggin sweet ideas for plugins, I'm gonna get to work. Thanks!

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 22 Feb 2010 18:39

When do you believe Lunettes will start being included in the nightlies?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 22 Feb 2010 22:21

Personally, I would wait with Nightly Builds for Lunettes until an official preview was released. I'm not aware of Pierre's opinion on this matter though. A preview should be released shortly btw.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

rem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rem » 27 Feb 2010 06:01

I don't understand why precious Mac resources are going to Lunettes at a time when Mac Dev resources are stretched so thinly. Wouldn't a minimalist approach of porting VLC properly with as few platform-specific customizations as possible make more sense in light of the current resource situation? I ask with utmost respect for the Developers who are dedicating their time to the project.

LinLan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby LinLan » 27 Feb 2010 12:20

I don't understand why precious Mac resources are going to Lunettes at a time when Mac Dev resources are stretched so thinly. Wouldn't a minimalist approach of porting VLC properly with as few platform-specific customizations as possible make more sense in light of the current resource situation? I ask with utmost respect for the Developers who are dedicating their time to the project.
this

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 17 Mar 2010 14:13

See it as an investment. The idea is by creating an application that is designed with MacOS X in mind, it will become easier to support and maintain. Then, because of that, anyone with more core experience of MacOS X development will find it easier to contribute. It should also help provide a better user experience to the Mac community. If you have ever used Adium, then think of the relationship as being the same between Adium and Pidgin.

Developers are free to decide how they want to spend their energy. In the same vein, users a free to decide whether they will accept an application developed by volunteers.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”