Missing Sparkle.h for latest mac (Leopard) build?

macOS specific usage questions
sharris595
New Cone
New Cone

Missing Sparkle.h for latest mac (Leopard) build?

Postby sharris595 » 04 Sep 2009 23:02

Greetings!

I just fetched the latest vlc source but am unable to build it. The error after I do a make is:

OBJC libmacosx_plugin_la-intf.lo
intf.m:59:76: Sparkle/Sparkle.h: No such file or directory
intf.m:926: error: expected ')' before 'SUUpdater'
intf.m:926: error: expected ')' before 'SUAppcastItem'

So, obviously I need to install Sparke. So I've downloaded Sparkle 1-2.5b1, but I'm a little confused about how to install it. The directions talk about installing the framework in an XCode project, but I'm just using the command line to build VLC, and not xcode. Can you tell me how to install the Sparkle framework (or the Sparkle-withGC.framework?) in order to build VLC? I'm using XCode 3.1.2 and Mac OS X 10.5.8. Do I just move the framework to a directory and add that to my path to resolve the missing include file? Do I need to do this or something else for the link line?

Thanks!

Best,

Steve

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Missing Sparkle.h for latest mac (Leopard) build?

Postby fkuehne » 05 Sep 2009 01:56

Just for any other forum user interested in this matter:

This was fixed by providing an updated binary contrib package including the Sparkle framework in a version adapted to VLC. This package can easily be applied by deleting the archive and performing a "make clean" in extras/contrib within VLC's code base.

I worked with Steve on IRC on this matter and it is working for him now.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

rem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rem » 16 Feb 2010 21:29

I am experiencing the same issue. Could I download the updated binary contrib package from somewhere?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 16 Feb 2010 22:08

The stuff mentioned in my previous post still valid.

Please post Xcode version, OS X version and used VLC branch so I can help you.

There is no need to download an "updated" package somewhere. The packages automatically downloaded by master and 1.0-bugfix are alright for testing and development purposes.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

rem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rem » 16 Feb 2010 22:33

Thanks for help. I have:
OS X 10.6.2
Xcode 3.2.1 (1613)
VLC 1.0.5 - did "git clone git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git" today

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 16 Feb 2010 23:02

ehm, that should work. Let me reproduce. you clone the repository, go to extras/contrib, type "./bootstrap x86_64-apple-darwin10" and "make", go back to the top directory, type "./bootstrap && ./configure && make" and it fails, right?

BTW. it may make sense right now to perform a "git pull --rebase" and afterwards a "make clean" in extras/contrib as I just updated the packages. However, this shouldn't be related to your problem.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

CapFuture
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CapFuture » 18 Feb 2010 13:54

Well, I do have the same problem.

intf.m:61:76: error: Sparkle/Sparkle.h: No such file or directory
intf.m:908: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘SUUpdater’
intf.m:908: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘SUAppcastItem’

Got VLC via git today.
Using OS 10.6.2
XCode 3.2.1 build 1613

This above is my try to build the 64bit version...

I'm tried to build the 32bit version but got as far as Michael Ditum here with the exact same errors: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.v ... evel/71430

rem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rem » 18 Feb 2010 20:46

ehm, that should work. Let me reproduce. you clone the repository, go to extras/contrib, type "./bootstrap x86_64-apple-darwin10" and "make", go back to the top directory, type "./bootstrap && ./configure && make" and it fails, right?

BTW. it may make sense right now to perform a "git pull --rebase" and afterwards a "make clean" in extras/contrib as I just updated the packages. However, this shouldn't be related to your problem.
Thanks for advice. Extras compile now without any tweaking to the makefile.

Then, if I type "./bootstrap && ./configure && make" it stops due to missing dependencies. I installed lua but gave up when it asked for gnomevfs. With "./configure --build=x86_64-apple-darwin10", I still get the Sparkle missing message.

CapFuture
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CapFuture » 18 Feb 2010 22:26

Just googled the Sparkle Framework and I found a solution/workaround:

(Compiling the 64bit version)...
- Got to http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/ and download the current Sparkle build.
- Extract the archive and copy "Sparke.framework" to vlc/extras/contrib/hosts/x86_64-apple-darwin10/Sparkle (create directories as necessary)

Unfortunately the VLC you get has nothing... I mean, no gui, no menubar... is this what I should get? I'm just unsure if the result I got is what one would get after compiling the sources the way it was descriped in the wiki?!

Edit: When I start the VLC executable in the terminal, I get following output:
[0x1002b2090] main interface error: no interface module matched "globalhotkeys,none"
[0x1002b2090] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x100212350] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ayla » 19 Feb 2010 18:04

I get the Sparkle error too, when trying to compile vlc git from today as 64 bit. I also have to use "--disable-lua".

When compiling with the "--with-mozilla-sdk-path=./extras/contrib/hosts/x86_64-apple-darwin10/gecko-sdk --enable-mozilla" argument, for the Safari plugin, I also get the error below:

Code: Select all

Making all in projects/mozilla CXX npvlc_la-vlcshell.lo vlcshell.cpp:214:2: warning: #warning disabled code vlcshell.cpp:410:2: warning: #warning disabled code vlcshell.cpp: In function ‘int16 NPP_HandleEvent(NPP_t*, void*)’: vlcshell.cpp:179: error: ‘GetDblTime’ was not declared in this scope vlcshell.cpp:222: error: ‘ForeColor’ was not declared in this scope vlcshell.cpp:223: error: ‘PenMode’ was not declared in this scope vlcshell.cpp:228: error: ‘SetOrigin’ was not declared in this scope vlcshell.cpp:235: error: ‘PaintRect’ was not declared in this scope vlcshell.cpp:238: error: ‘MoveTo’ was not declared in this scope vlcshell.cpp:240: error: ‘DrawText’ was not declared in this scope vlcshell.cpp: In function ‘NPError NPP_SetWindow(NPP_t*, NPWindow*)’: vlcshell.cpp:387: warning: unused variable ‘drawable’ vlcshell.cpp:370: warning: unused variable ‘p_vlc’ make[2]: *** [npvlc_la-vlcshell.lo] Error 1 make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make: *** [all] Error 2

What I'm interested in, is a 64 bit build of the Safari plugin (so I don't have to open Safari in 32 bit mode).

Would a kind soul, better at compiling than me, be willing to upload the 64 bit Safari plugin on MediaFire or similar to share?

/Martin

CapFuture
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CapFuture » 19 Feb 2010 18:25

Well, I'm trying to build the current git clone as 32 bit version but wow... I can't keep up with all those #includes that point to the wrong directory which I'm trying to correct by hand... or at least some global variable is not set correctly and I don't know where to set it...

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 22 Feb 2010 18:19

Guys, sorry for the mess.

Please update to the latest git. It should be solved now. Be sure to run "make clean" in extras/contrib and run "./bootstrap && make" there again.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

CapFuture
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CapFuture » 23 Feb 2010 10:18

Thx :)

The 64bit version does compile successfully and seems to work correctly.
But the 32bit version still complains about libdirac. I guess it's still this one directory misshift in the includes. :/

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2010 16:19

Hmm, I didn't use dirac at all lately. I'll try to reproduce later on. Are you using 10.5 or 10.6 btw.?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2010 17:24

I just compiled the latest master branch on Mac OS X 10.5 in 32bit mode with --enable-dirac and --enable-schroedinger. All dirac modules compiled and linked correctly. Please clean your checkout and paste the compilation log if it still fails with the latest contrib package (number 26).
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

CapFuture
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CapFuture » 23 Feb 2010 22:39

As written above I'm using 10.6.2 with the current dev tools...
I'l check things out tomorrow and report things here :)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Feb 2010 23:03

ugh, please update the contribs again then (if you did already do so before like 3 hours ago) as we squashed another bug which lead to issues on some setups.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

CapFuture
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CapFuture » 24 Feb 2010 13:32

Just did a git pull and compiled the 32bit version successfully. VLC started up correctly but crashed while opening any video file. Audio files seem to work correctly. That's ok for me. It's a nightly build so to speak :)

Thanks for your help :)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 24 Feb 2010 18:12

Cool. You're welcome :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

CapFuture
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CapFuture » 26 Feb 2010 17:09

Yay, in its current git-pull-build no crash when opening a video, sound plays but no video :D

Anyway, where can I contribute in any way if I want to help? I'm not a OS X developer yet (started with iPhone programming) but somewhere someone has to get started :mrgreen:

rem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rem » 27 Feb 2010 01:27

I can now successfully compile, thanks! However, the resultant vlc.app [Version 1.1.0-git The Luggage (Intel 64bit)] crashes upon attempting to open any video. I tested multiple formats (e.g., mp4, avi, wmv).

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 27 Feb 2010 12:51

@ CapFuture: for an iPhone OS developer, I'd recommend you to have a look at Lunettes, which will be the future for VLC for the Mac. It's a good and easy start point which allows you to dive as deep in VLC's code as desired. At the top level, it's plain and easy Cocoa.

@ rem: VLC.app wasn't tested since the recent feature freeze for VLC 1.1 and therefore is still subject to be adapted to the latest changes. However, I'd strongly recommend to compile it in 32bit mode. This is probably a lot more stable. I'm unsure whether VLC 1.1 will be released in a 64bit variant at all for the Mac. We focus on Lunettes for this kind of stuff. Lunettes runs flawlessly in 64bit mode and is almost entirely developed with this platform in fact.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

CapFuture
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CapFuture » 27 Feb 2010 16:05

I can now successfully compile, thanks! However, the resultant vlc.app [Version 1.1.0-git The Luggage (Intel 64bit)] crashes upon attempting to open any video. I tested multiple formats (e.g., mp4, avi, wmv).
A newer pull solves this problem... see above.

Edit: Hmm, temporarly the problem was fixed... Just did an update and it's broken again. Sorry :/

Thanks Fkuehne. I'll take a look.
Got some knowledge about C/C++ programming... I won't be a great help but I really like to see a great video player come to being :)

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”