Francois_D
New Cone
New Cone

VLC in 64 bits ?

Postby Francois_D » 02 Feb 2010 22:48

English version : see bottom
--
Bonjour,
VLC est mis à jour assez régulièrement. Il est maintenant passé en v1.0.5... dispo pour MacOS X, il n'est dispo qu'en version 32 bits. C'est dommage. La seule version 64 bits de VLC que je connaisse, c'est la 1.0.2....

Comme j'ai installé les outils de Dev sur mon Mac, à partir des sources, je dois pouvoir le compiler en 64 bits, non ? Le pb, c'est que je ne vois pas trop comment ouvrir les sources dans XCode...

Est-ce que quelq'un a une idée ?

Francois

-- For non french-speaking people --
Hello,

VLC often is updated (now in v1.05). The Mac OS X version is 32 bits-only. The only 64 bits version I know is the 1.02.

As I installed the dev tools on my Mac, is there any mean for me to compile the source code in a 64 bits version ? I do not see how I can manage it in X-Code.

Any idea would be appreciated

Francois

krmathis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: VLC in 64 bits ?

Postby krmathis » 04 Feb 2010 21:55

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 11 Feb 2010 22:52

Due to certain outstanding issues the 64-bit version is not ready for general release. As soon as it is will be made available on the front page. Until then you will either have to compile it yourself or try the nightlies. One of the developers will be able to better answer the question when they have an idea themselves.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 15 Feb 2010 23:31

Well, thing is, we are still kind of understaffed and that's why we focus on Lunettes, which will be the future of VLC for the Mac. Unless someones steps up to fix the legacy code for 64bit usage, I kind of doubt that this will happen. Lunettes is fully 64bit-capable right now (in fact, it is developed in a 64bit environment and we make sure it supports 32bit as well once we're finished) and therefore there isn't too much motivation to spend time on the existing code.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

rem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rem » 16 Feb 2010 20:14

Are v1.0.5 64-bit binaries only unavailable for OS X?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 16 Feb 2010 20:24

VLC is distributed on Linux and *BSD in 64bit builds, but that's pretty much it for now. 64bit execution is currently unsupported on Windows (whatever flavor), BeOS/Haiku, Mac OS X and Solaris.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

rem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rem » 16 Feb 2010 20:56

Thanks for info. I'm rolling my own build now. There was an error building additional libs...could not find .iconv? In the Makefile I found something like "rm .iconv && make .iconv". I removed the first part & then it seemed to compile ok.

Now with the main app build, I'm trying to resolve:

intf.m:61:76: error: Sparkle/Sparkle.h: No such file or directory (found your suggestion in another thread)
intf.m:908: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘SUUpdater’
intf.m:908: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘SUAppcastItem’

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”