VLC Crashing

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
TitanFan
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Crashing

Postby TitanFan » 01 Feb 2010 01:11

TitanFan: you have ripped VIDEO_TS to hard drive or is it a store bough DVD?
I downloaded this viedo from the internet as a .mpg file. I made an edit with Pinnacle Studio 14 and saved to VIDEO_TS format so I could burn a DVD to play on a Panasonic DVD player. I actually haven't burned the DVD yet. As I said, I can watch this VIDEO_TS format video with PowerDVD. I installed VLC to play some .iso files I have, and decided to try and play the rest of my movie collection when I found this crashing problem with this particular video.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Feb 2010 16:03

Could you turn very short MPEG to VIDEO_TS with that same tool and see if it crashes? If it does, could you share that VIDEO_TS folder to us?

TitanFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TitanFan » 02 Feb 2010 01:01

Okay, I should be able to edit the original .mpg with Pinnacle and cut out most of the movie to make it small, then save to VIDEO_TS format. Assuming it still crashes, how can I get this small movie to you?

TitanFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TitanFan » 02 Feb 2010 03:01

Okay, I've replicated the crash with a small video file of about 30 MB. I also noticed that VLC's notition of video length and it's real-time clock are off. When I play the .mpg viedo with Windows Media Player (WMP) the video length is 1.5 hours. VLC reports only 50 minutes. In real time, I can play at the same time with VLC and WMP, and when VLC hits the 5 minute mark, WMP's time is 9:23.

I can't seem to attach anything to this board. How can I get this small video file to you for testing.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Feb 2010 17:39

Use megaupload or similar service.

TitanFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TitanFan » 03 Feb 2010 01:32

I uploaded the video to megaupload. Here's the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TZGN3EEM

Please let me know if you can replicate the crash and if you know what's causing it. Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Feb 2010 12:44

Ok, to fix it, open it without DVD menu from "Open Disc" menu
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

TitanFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TitanFan » 03 Feb 2010 23:20

Yep, that worked. Strange that out of all my videos, this is the only one that need to have the "No DVD menu" setting. I can just double click on all of my video's from Explorer, and they play. PowerDVD also workes fine on this video with just selecting play. Is this how VLC was intended to work, or can you make a fix for this issue?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Feb 2010 12:14

Yep, that worked. Strange that out of all my videos, this is the only one that need to have the "No DVD menu" setting. I can just double click on all of my video's from Explorer, and they play. PowerDVD also workes fine on this video with just selecting play. Is this how VLC was intended to work, or can you make a fix for this issue?
The issue is in one underlying library of VLC, fixing that might be tricky, in fact.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

TitanFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TitanFan » 05 Feb 2010 19:56

It's also interesting that when I play the .mpg version of this movie, VLC reports the length of the movie as 50 minutes. When I play the VIDEO_TS verison of the same movie (with the "no menu" option), VLC report the movie length as 1.5 hours, which is correct.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Feb 2010 14:06

when I play the .mpg version of this movie, VLC reports the length of the movie as 50 minutes. When I play the VIDEO_TS verison of the same movie (with the "no menu" option), VLC report the movie length as 1.5 hours
I would guess the MPEG version is badly muxed. So remuxing should fix that issue.

TitanFan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TitanFan » 06 Feb 2010 21:59

Okay, but PowerDVD reports the correct time on my .mpg movie and VLC doesn't. How do I remux the movie?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Feb 2010 14:49

shorty5023
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows vista

Postby shorty5023 » 08 Feb 2010 14:29

I am running the VLC player on HP with Windows Vista 64 bit. It has worked wonderfully for months until yesterday. As soon as I opened it it crashed and asked if I wanted to send a bug report, which I did. I uninstalled it and installed the newest version only to see it crash. Does anyone have any advice? I am not very technically oriented so instructions need to be on the simple side. Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Feb 2010 13:44

shorty5023: Open Windows Explorer, type %appdata%\vlc to address bar. Remove that folder. Then start VLC.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”