About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

streaming on webpage using VLC?

Postby hokaro » 31 Jan 2010 19:15

Hi
I hope I can get some help here... this is my story:

There is a tv channel which I want to stream live on a webpage. After some research I decided to use the graphic card Osprey-210 to capture the tv channel from a satellite reciever, and then send this capture to a streaming webpage. The problem is that I don't know how to send the captured video on the video card to a webpage.

Can I use this with VLC?

this is what I think I can do with VLC: I tell VLC that the video source is my video card, Osprey-210 and start streaming...but how can I put this streaming on a webpage so that everybody can view it? what do I need to do in this whole process?

This is how I think the video from tv channel goes the way to my webpage to get streamed:
Satellite TV ----> Ospray-210 ----> Encoder (microsoft or Adobe or VLC ?) ----> Server (do I need one, and if yes, what server?) ----> my webpage

is this the correct way?

I am really lost at this, I have no clue how to do this... Or is there any other feasible way to do the whole thing?

My regards and appreciation for anyone who helps

Edwin
Stockholm

Greg
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: streaming on webpage using VLC?

Postby Greg » 01 Feb 2010 18:42

weeraman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby weeraman » 02 Feb 2010 07:19

The method is ok as far as I'm concerned.

You can use VLC as the streaming server or Darwin (from Apple/free) and in that case can use Quick TIme as player (can embed in a web page easily)

Hope there is a total VLC solution (including the embeded client) but i've not gone through the whole documentations now.

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 02 Feb 2010 15:38

I am trying to use this solution:

http://wiki.videolan.org/Simple_Stream_VLC_to_Website

I hope it works...just one question: i the HREF line, should I insert the IP of the LAN computer on which the video is streaming? this means that every persons web browser who wants to watch the streaming goes to this IP address...is this true?

Greg

Postby Greg » 02 Feb 2010 22:35

Yes,
for LAN, the local IP of the box that is streaming.
Or,
for WAN, your external IP

Also.. If you are just using it on a LAN where bandwidth is probably not so much of a limiting factor, than you can raise the dafault vb=800 to say, vb=2000 in the VLC output string. This should improve picture quality

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 03 Feb 2010 03:24

Hello again

Actually I need this only on WAN...this is going to be a live streaming of a TV channel...so I need it to be playing on one html page on a 24/7 basis. The problem is, it doesn't work for me on WAN. it works on LAN though...

This is what I did:

1- I decided to stream a file at first rather than a captured video from my video card to avoid confusions at the first steps...
2- I opened VLC and Media --> Streaming --> File --> and I selected my video file, say mmp.wmv, which is about 250 megabytes.. and then I clicked on Stream button...
3- on the next window I checked HTTP, left the address blank, and chose port 8080
4- I chose windows (wmv/asf) for encapsulation and encoding, TTL 1...and then clicked on Stream
5- I created two .asx files, one for LAN and one for WAN ...this is the code in the asx files:

Code: Select all

<ASX version ="3.0"> <TITLE>Stream1234</TITLE> <ENTRY> <REF HREF="HTTP://my WAN IP:8080" /> </ENTRY> </ASX>
as I mentioned, I made a second asx file for my LAN IP as well..
6- I created a simple webpage with the asx files embedded, saved it as index.htm... the code for this file is:

Code: Select all

<head> <title>Page title</title> </head> <body> <embed src="extstream1234.asx" > <embed src="localstream1234.asx" > </body> </html>
where "localstream1234.asx" contains the LAN IP and "extstream1234.asx" contains my WAN IP, which I got from whatismyip.com

7- I uploaded all three files (two asx and one html) to my ftp server, and then tried opening it with IE, Firefox and Chrome...
8- two players appear in the webpage. All three browsers show the LAN streaming, but nothing for the WAN streaming...
9- I even tried checking MMSH with port 8080 and blank address, but it doesn't help.
10- I even opened a port (8001) for both TCP and UDP in my firewall for both Inbound and Outbound, didn't work either when I used that port (i am using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit)
11- I even tried to shut down the whole Firewall on my system, didn't help either...
12- I even tried to write mms instead of http in step 5, didn't help...

WAN says no, no and no to me all the time...what am I doing wrong?

completed confused...
any help is much appreciated :)

regards
Edwin

Greg

Postby Greg » 03 Feb 2010 13:41

You seem to have got VLC and a LAN stream to website working OK?

You say "WAN says no, no and no to me all the time" ???

It is not clear from your post what is not working

Is your website/web page viewable from www by others (not you). Or is it the streaming that is not working on the page?

Hint..
Re read "First Checks" and "Note 4" on the wiki

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 03 Feb 2010 16:02

I can see the LAN streaming on the webpage, and others on the "same LAN network" can see the LAN streaming...but others on different networks can't see the LAN streaming...for example, I live in Stockholm and my friend who lives in Norway couldn't see my LAN streaming...

WAN streaming doesn't work, not even for me, not for others either...

it is the WAN streaming which is more important to me...I want to stream the video so that everyone anywhere in the world could see my streaming when they open my webpage...

Greg

Postby Greg » 03 Feb 2010 17:01

Re my previous post

Can you confirm that your website is working and the webpage is visable from the www?

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 03 Feb 2010 19:55

yes, one hundred percent sure that the webpage is working...

Greg

Postby Greg » 03 Feb 2010 20:38

OK
Sorry for the basic questions, but I read back through your posts and got the impression that you may be using a remote Web Host?

Please confirm
Your website is hosted by you on your own webserver from your external IP address?
As per "First Checks" on the wiki....!

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 03 Feb 2010 22:31

my website is hosted by http://www.justhost.com and the other one by http://www.bluehost.com ....I am putting those three asx and html files on the ftp servers provided for me by these companies...

bye the way, your input is much appreciated :)

Greg

Postby Greg » 03 Feb 2010 23:54

Hmmmm....!!!!!!!
Well that's why it's not working.
And...
Thats why I refered you to " First Checks" on the wiki
And in particular the bit that says....
"Your website works OK and is on your own web server on the same machine as VLC? "
:roll:

This is not really the arena for a discussion on routing etc.
However..
I'll try to point you in the right direction. Re read "First Checks" again, and the whole wiki. To enable your stream or webpage to be accessable on the www you will probably have to "port forward" your LAN Server and/or VLC output
See
http://portforward.com/
When your stream/web is accessable from the www you can the consider how to deliver it to your clients

If you only have the occasional client (friend in Norway?) then you might as well do the webserving yourself.
Otherwise, you will have to relay the stream to your remote web host. I suggest you go googling to research and find suitable web info/forums to that end.
Final point.
Many web hosts will not allow this, as it can potentially use a great deal of bandwidth. Breaks the Ts&Cs. best check first before you go global with your stream.
Good luck

John Ford
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Ubuntu

Postby John Ford » 12 Feb 2010 23:19

Is there any solution for web pages served by a Linux server? The solution on the page is for pages served by Windows.

Greg

Postby Greg » 16 Feb 2010 02:06

Err, Yes?
Not clear what you are asking?
any solution for web pages served by a Linux server? The solution on the page is for pages served by Windows.
The page?(s) ? on wiki.?.. See Results section last part says....

"I have successfully used this method of serving from MS Windows XPpro IIS 5.1 and Apache 2.2 and also Linux Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Apache 2.2 "

There's also lots of other stuff in the forums/docu that may help

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 17 Feb 2010 22:26

Hi Greg

Thanks for your help. it helped a lot. I forwarded the ports by my ISP and now I can stream and view my streaming from other networks. Now, I have a new problem:

I want to do this for another computer, which has static IP:s. It seems that I can't do the same process to get the stream working for that...I do every step exactly as I do it for my own comp which has LAN IP and forwarded WAN IP:s...I have even opened 8080 ports.

Do I have to do anything extra or special for static IP? Do I have to configure the static IP and gateway in a special way?

regards
Edwin

Greg

Postby Greg » 18 Feb 2010 01:17

Hello Edwin

I'm guessing again, but

did you put the static (external wan) IP in the metafile for external wan use?
See/re read "The Method" on the wiki

The href=<yourstaticip>:port should be there?

Do have a webserver on this other Box with the static IP?
If so...
Can you access a web page on this webserver from the wan using that static IP?
If so...
It should work if you point to the metafile.asx (with href=<ext-static-ip>)

John Ford
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Ubuntu

Postby John Ford » 18 Feb 2010 14:32

Thanks for your reply Greg.

The results of using .asf file format in the wiki are a little vague. Is there any way you could elaborate on how you were able to acheive this outcome? I can stream .ogg files no problem and receive them through a network using VLC on both ends with http format. MP3's work as well but don't stream file to file. All I'm looking to do is post a clickable link on a web page.

Now I got it. I had to change the default plugin in my browser to open .asx files with VLC. Opening with Windows Media Player does not work in any format or stream using .ogg file format, so far.
Last edited by John Ford on 18 Feb 2010 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

Greg

Postby Greg » 18 Feb 2010 15:03

The link further back in this thread..

Again here

http://wiki.videolan.org/Simple_Stream_VLC_to_Website

Describes a simple method, which works equally well in both Win and Ubuntu

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 18 Feb 2010 17:34

yes the metafile is updated, and I do have a webserver on this comp...yet it can't be viewed...I can't view any page from my webserver from outside networks...

Greg

Postby Greg » 18 Feb 2010 23:21

Hello again Edwin.....
Have you read this post? It's right near the top!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11402

BTW
You likely have a problem with port forward or a firewall
Good luck!

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 22 Feb 2010 00:36

Hello Greg :)

Thx, the streaming problem is solved now...thx for your helps

The new problem is the sound...I get the streaming, but it is only video...no audio at all...I tried to solve this, no point...I used two different sound cards plus the integrated sound, but no way, no sound at all when you view the streaming on LAN or WAN...

what could be the problem?

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 03 Mar 2010 01:38

ok now...I have got it all running and working....

I have the video and audio streaming on my http apache server and I could view it on internet...

I am proud of it :)

one small question: is there any limitation on the number of persons (ip:s) who can view this streaming on internet simultanously? or is it like this that everyone can view it simultanously because it is on http?

regards
Edwin

Greg

Postby Greg » 04 Mar 2010 01:38

Hello, again Edwin :( ?

We are all Very proud of you too :)

You need to find out (and fully understand!) how much upstream bandwidth you have from where you are streaming (in Kb)?
Then you need to go find out how much bandwidth your stream is set to?
It will be the approximate sum of vb=xxx and ab=xxx

The default settings in the "Simple stream..." wiki ....Are vb=800 and ab=128 (in Kb)
So the sum is approx 1Mb
So each client (person?) will consume approx 1Mb from your server upstream bandwidth
Simples...!
If you want to try a little harder, and be Very, Very Proud :) :) ....
Then try
(do read it very ,very, very carefully!!!)
http://wiki.videolan.org/Stream_VLC_to_ ... _and_Flash

Good luck

hokaro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hokaro » 08 Mar 2010 14:12

Hello again, Greg :D

I have done it! streaming from my server to flowplayer on my website... it is viewable for all...

one tiny problem, though :cry:

after 1 hour or so the video and audio in the streaming doesn't match...I mean on the website using this flowplayer...the size of the output player on the website is 600*480, while the size of the output video on the web server by the capture card is 768*576...

what could be the problem? i have exactly used the Generated stream output string which is on the link you wrote on your last post.

what could be the problem?

again, I really appreciate your help :)

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”