HD Set Top Box

Just have a drink and chat
mossrisjhons
New Cone
New Cone

HD Set Top Box

Postby mossrisjhons » 17 Aug 2009 22:29

Hi,

I really really need some help here. I have an old analogue tv hooked up to an outdoor antenna which works great and dont want to have to go out and buy a new hd tv just to get the extra channels.
I was advised that all I needed to o was to buy a hd digital set top box and I would be able to access the extra channels without the hd picture quality, however for whatever reason I cannot get the set top box to work at all on my tv.

Do I need something else to get the new channels...Please can someone help me out here..am so confused!...Thanks

Nille
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: HD Set Top Box

Postby Nille » 18 Aug 2009 03:35

Is your antenna using the right range for the HD box? (VHF, UHF or whats used for digital signals in your country)
Do you use an Antenna amplifier? (if so is it a new one or an old one?)
Does your box have any settings where your can see/measure the signal strength and quality?
Or is it only that you can't connect it to your TV?

endlessmoon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby endlessmoon » 18 Aug 2009 14:43

me 2 i really want to know what's the best brand or recommended one , to use .
i need to stream movies for a switch and watch it on tv.
which STB has an RJ45 port and supports mpeg 2 , and it can be operated and used within minutes .

i've tried aminet 110 and i couldn't make it run , ( firmware and stuff ) and i payed a lot to make it start runnin .

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 18 Aug 2009 17:01

Hi,

I really really need some help here. I have an old analogue tv hooked up to an outdoor antenna which works great and dont want to have to go out and buy a new hd tv just to get the extra channels.
I was advised that all I needed to o was to buy a hd digital set top box and I would be able to access the extra channels without the hd picture quality, however for whatever reason I cannot get the set top box to work at all on my tv.

Do I need something else to get the new channels...Please can someone help me out here..am so confused!...Thanks
Assuming you are in the UK, in order to get digital channels (BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 etc.) you need a Freeview set top box and probably a new digital aerial (which have more/better reflectors etc.). As Nille said ensure you can get it in your area though (think it is supported in most places now). There is also "Freesat" which AFAIK is like Freeview using satellites, but a dish is required for that.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

cata12
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cata12 » 07 Jan 2010 15:38

@ endlessmoon and mossrisjhons:

Regarding your set top box issues: you can read more about how a set top box works and find out what features are available here: http://www.thehdstandard.com/streaming- ... top-boxes/

Catalin
Professional Streaming Consultant

davidgreem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davidgreem » 12 Apr 2010 05:14

if you will fix the set top box to your old TV then you wont be enjoying the quality of the picture and so i will recommend you to go for the Hd TV as the prices of this TVs are now reducing. So go for the new technology and enjoy the great picture and sound, even i have HD TV with 42 inch screen with the freeview HD box it is awesome, i enjoy lots of channels and that also in HD. It feels like you are watching TV in a home theater.
Mistakes are the portals of Discovery.

Return to “Coffee Corner”