VLC locks up at end of video.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dntknwhw2b
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: newest
Operating System: Win 7 SP1

VLC locks up at end of video.

Postby dntknwhw2b » 02 Jan 2010 10:24

I have been using VLC for some time now. When Goldeneye came out a new problem began. I use Windows XP SP3 on an ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe that is running on a AMD Athlon 62 X2 dual core. 2.41 GHz.

It will play all my videos just fine. But when the video comes to the end (When it stops on its own.) VLC will lock up. Nothing will make it play another video and nothing other than Task Manager will turn it off.

If there is a way to capture what is going on. So that I can show what is going on with VLC and why it does this. I can even load the playlist with a number of videos and if I allow the video to come to a stop. VLC will lock up. This does not happen when playing music. Just videos. Also this does not happen with earlier versions of VLC. ( .98 and earlier.)

Has this happened to anyone else? I have looked around the forum for a fix and could not find it.

Thanks!
dntknwhw2b // Don't Know How Too Be // It's still better than a wanna-be.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC locks up at end of video.

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Jan 2010 17:00

MKV Video files with multiple audio tracks?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VeggyZ
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VeggyZ » 04 Jan 2010 05:15

I also have this problem, at least with .ogm files (I haven't noticed it on any others so far but I haven't really played many other files at all since installing Windows 7). If I skip to the next file in a playlist it works fine, but if I let the file end by itself VLC becomes unresponsive. It is closable for me without using the task manager, but no other functions work (stop, skip, pause, play), nor does selecting another file on the playlist. It only works once restarted. I do know I was able to let a playlist go indefinitely on earlier versions of VLC player with no problems. Guess I can just downgrade until the problem's fixed.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Jan 2010 08:16

Ok, do those video have multiple audio tracks?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

dntknwhw2b
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dntknwhw2b » 04 Jan 2010 13:14

Ok, do those video have multiple audio tracks?

It does not matter what format or if there is one file or many. Or if there is more than one audio track. Just like the other guy in this post VLC locks up and will not do anything. And I must use Task Manager to close it.

I use Win XP SP3 and I am running the most up to date version of VLC.

I feel I must apologize for being slow at answering this post. I am disabled. I find it hard to get on my computer at regular intervals.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Jan 2010 15:16

VLC has known bug that causes some issues to player if the played file contains multiple audio tracks. (bothers at least Matroska and OGG/OGM files)

dntknwhw2b
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dntknwhw2b » 05 Jan 2010 21:37

Well my version of VLC locks up at the end of eny and every video as long as I let it come to the end of the video.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Jan 2010 18:53

dntknwhw2b: removal of %appdata%\vlc folder helps? If not, then does different video and/or audio output modules help?
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-1.0 ... _output.3F
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-1.0 ... _anomalies

dntknwhw2b
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dntknwhw2b » 16 Jan 2010 19:04

I did what you said to do with deleting that file it seems to have helped with all the folders except MKV. AVI, OGM, And MP4 closed down just fine.
I will check out your other suggestions. But will need time to do so. Thanks for your help.

xXxVenomxXx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xXxVenomxXx » 30 May 2010 09:25

I've tried several of these fixes and nothing works. Older versions of VLC have worked in the past but nothing at this point. I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. No fixes work and I cannot let the credits go or its straight to task manager.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 May 2010 13:38

This problem is fixed in upcoming VLC 1.1.0

HellFrost
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HellFrost » 03 Dec 2010 13:33

PROB FIXED IN 1.1.0? I just started having this issue with 114 n 115 n am still having it. Never had any trouble with 105. :roll:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Dec 2010 14:50

HellFrost: more details?

HellFrost
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HellFrost » 19 Dec 2010 01:12

when the video im watching comes to an end, plays thru to the end, vlc locks up 99% of the time. tried enabling close vlc wen video ends feature to resolve -- no change
Playing on xpsp3 with extended screen to tv via s-video. pretty sure it does it on my vista laptop as well.
no multiple audio tracks. all types of avi codecs.
sounds like the same as the original posters problem.
I dont do any streaming, dont even kno how ofr where to stream from

i8B
New Cone
New Cone

Postby i8B » 21 Dec 2010 03:02

I am running v1.15 and also have the same issue. (VLC freezes after most vids have completed).

One example is an AVI I just played:

128kbps
MPEG Layer-3
23 fps
974kbps data rate
24 bit sample
FFDS compression

I played this from start to end (1:50:09) and when the VLC screen went black, the hour glass would appear but no response from the interface. Had to use TaskManager to kill the process.

I tried to re-produce it by replaying the file and jumping to within a minute of the end. I could not make it lock up after three tries.

Let us know what data you need; I'm sure we can collect and test relatively quickly.

Stephen
"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back ... Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties ... Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not wrong in mine."

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 21 Dec 2010 18:54

If you crash it, it would be the best possible scenario since you can then use gdb and do backtrace.

Nevol13
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nevol13 » 22 Dec 2010 13:14

I had the same problem with 1.0.1 version.
I updated to 1.1.5 and problem is fixed for now.

i8B
New Cone
New Cone

Postby i8B » 23 Dec 2010 10:00

If you crash it, it would be the best possible scenario since you can then use gdb and do backtrace.
Ok, I'll run it through gdb until I can reproduce it. ...
"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back ... Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties ... Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not wrong in mine."

i8B
New Cone
New Cone

Postby i8B » 23 Dec 2010 10:45

VLC.exe v1.1.5.0 doesnt have debugging symbols. Are you saying I should be re-compiling the source to provide usable diagnostic info?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Dec 2010 17:45

You can download debug versions from http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D (branches are 1.1.x)

i8B
New Cone
New Cone

Postby i8B » 25 Dec 2010 06:07

You can download debug versions from http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D (branches are 1.1.x)
That's almost just as helpful :-)

How bout a direct link to the 1.1.5.0 GA build ... Depending on which 1.1.5 branch I select, the branch code may not react the same way as the GA version.

Unless, you guys would rather we test using a beta of 1.1.6?

Either way, remember that we are trying to assist, and the filing system may be cryptic to most. I am sure that loads of data can be obtained if I can get the correct process in place.

I had a crash today:
Watching an Xvid AVI

Width: 656
Height: 368
Duration: 49:13
Bit Rate: 448kbps
Frame Rate: 25 fps
Data Rate: 1939kbps
Sample Size: 12 bit
Compression: FFDS

It ran all the way through and went black at the end. (hour glass - no response) I killed it in task manager. Watson did create report, so Im including a link to it http://i8b.com/VLC_dump/WER79a4.dir00.rar.

VLC was running in FullScreen mode Desktop is set to 1680x1050.
Launched VLC by double clicking the AVI file.

BTW - also had two occurances earlier in the day of VLC crashing (shutting down) immeadiately after doubleclicking an AVI. (I didnt keep track of these two occurances), but in these two the VLC GUI was never created, the icon appeared in the "SysTray" and remained until I hovered over it, otherwise there was no output or errors seen.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Dec 2010 17:44

Any newish VLC version is good for GDB debugs. Watson logs are usually worthless with VLC.

HellFrost
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HellFrost » 27 Dec 2010 19:38

I give up, I need to find v105 again n reinstall
sometimes it locks up when I pause, or jump ahead, or when I manually stop it but wen it plays to the end it locks up nearly every time in Full screen mode
Have not seen this out of Full screen mode.

HellFrost
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HellFrost » 27 Dec 2010 19:40

I give up, I need to find v105 again n reinstall
sometimes it locks up when I pause, or jump ahead, or when I manually stop it but wen it plays to the end it locks up nearly every time in Full screen mode
Have not seen this out of Full screen mode.
oops didn't notice a second page of posts.

HellFrost
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HellFrost » 27 Dec 2010 19:42

What's a nightly build

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”