Using "View"->"Advanced Controls" : problem with sound

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
xyz000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Using "View"->"Advanced Controls" : problem with sound

Postby xyz000 » 05 Jan 2010 10:43

Hi,

(VLC 1.0.1 Goldeneye, WinXP)

I have a DVD of a private function which I'd like to extract to *.mov files. Reading around I decided to try enabling "View"->"Advanced Controls". This adds a record button to the interface. I start playing the DVD as normal then, when I get to the section I want to extract, I click the "record" button. At the end of the section I want to extract I un-click the "record" button. This creates an automatically-named "vlc-record-*.mov" file in the My Documents folder. All great so far.

The problem I have is that if I try to extract long video sections then the audio of the saved .mov file goes silent. The time at which the silence begins is different in each file but can be as soon as ten minutes into the captured video. I've checked that the audio on the actual DVD is fine.

Any idea what might cause this and what a solution might be?

Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Using "View"->"Advanced Controls" : problem with sound

Postby VLC_help » 05 Jan 2010 14:25

If you play normal DVD-Video disc, the output won't be MOV file. You have to transcode if you want MOV output.

xyz000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby xyz000 » 05 Jan 2010 14:42

Forgive me. I repeated the method that I typed in post #1 and it created an MPG file not a MOV file. Here's a better description:

(1) View->Advanced Controls.
(2) Media->Open Disc. The "DVD" radio button is selected. The "Disc device" list box is "D:". Click the "Play" button at the bottom of the "Open Media" dialogue box.
(3) While the DVD is playing in real-time I can click the red-circle "Record" button located just under the time slider bar at the bottom of the VLC interface window. Then, when I click this record button a second time (to de-select the button) a file called "vlc-record-2010-01-05-13h36m02s-dvd___D-.mpg" was created in My Documents.

The remainder of the description is still true - if I record long video sections then, some way into the recorded video, the sound goes silent for the remainder of the recorded video.

Does this improved description help to identify the problem?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Jan 2010 18:48

Does this improved description help to identify the problem?
Yes, what you describe is known issue.
trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3136

xyz000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby xyz000 » 07 Jan 2010 22:57

trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3136
Thanks for this. I'll check my file sizes and see if they coincide with the suggested 4Gb issue.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”