urgently needed, not just for me ;) Shoutcast recording

Feature requests for VLC.
bigVoid
New Cone
New Cone

urgently needed, not just for me ;) Shoutcast recording

Postby bigVoid » 06 Dec 2006 07:45

hi there!

i am using vlc now for years; now i give advices to friends with their new high end multi-media-laptops, saying: all you need is vlc!

They all agree, but there is major problem:

>---- RECORDING-----<

Their is no record button at the skin toolbar
Ok, i understood, it isn´t easy to record with vlc, but do we need all that parameters?

We want to have a simple,plain record button which activates they right process, maybe starting a wizard, where no nerds can simply record a

- shoutcast stream to a wav-file
- in a second step it maybe usefull to decode it as i like, like mp3 or ogg
- file names should be implemented from the channels name
- it would be awsome if you could implement a "listen to filter and record only" function, implemented in a way where vlc recording script scans for the shoutcast information from serveral streams, recording only those songs, were my filter applies to, like: "record everything from this preselected streams which has the keyword xy in it, i sort out later"

and please, dont tell me, that this is something which is not wanted, i knew at last more than 20 people asking me for such a tool!

Hey guys! Its getting christmas (or whatever your religion celebrates.. ) pls give as that feature as a christmas gift! PLEASE!

Has i allready mentioned that you all did a great work with VLC? *grin

the big void

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 07 Dec 2006 16:33

this is a must

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Dec 2006 01:38

Shoutcast streams come in 2 flavors AAC and MP3 for audio.

There is a record option but it is dependent on the defaults you set in preferences for the decoder and container or lack of one as the case may be.

The hot key is ctrl r, but it won't do anything until you set the recording options.

bigVoid
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bigVoid » 10 Dec 2006 13:54

@DJ:

... and that is the main reason why a lot of newbie-users stop using this fantastic tool: To much features, no proper gui / skin for easy step-by-step configuration. I can handle these options and config screens, even cmd-line parameters aren´t a real problem, cause i am an pro (software-dev. buisness, more than 20 years of computer expirence), but the normal user from the masses is unable to configurate VLC. :(

Please (the howl dev. team is called!), design a better GUI, before you implementing new features!

For example:

Why can´t i simply save a once found & selected shoutcast-server easily to something like a bookmark?
Why do i have to study IT-technologie first in order to record a simple webradio show?

VLC is, for my opinion, the best freeware media player, so keep the quality!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Dec 2006 18:04

Seems that no 2 people that come here want to use VLC the same way and yes, I agree there are lots of options to get used to. But for a free player VLC is more versatile than just about any other player out there.

The devs also agree the wxWidgets interface is clunky and with each revision the skins 2 module gets more functions for versatility. Starting with 0.9.0 the wxWidgets interface will be replaced by QT4.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 17 Dec 2006 23:24

kool

MadRocker
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.16 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: urgently needed, not just for me ;) Shoutcast recording

Postby MadRocker » 01 Jan 2010 22:36

Hello all,

I'm reviving this thread because I have a related (NOOB-ie) Question.....

I have:

VLC Media Player 1.0.2 Goldeneye
Windows XP Pro SP3
Mozilla Firefox Browser 3.5.3
LG Super-Multi CD/DVD Recorder.

Question ?

Is it possible for me to directly record to a CD-R a stream from Shoutcast Radio with what I have ?

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: urgently needed, not just for me ;) Shoutcast recording

Postby Arite » 01 Jan 2010 22:45

No you cannot record directly to a CD-R as VLC cannot burn CDs/DVDs. You can stream to an audio file and then afterwards write that file to a Data CD or Audio CD using a program such as e.g. InfraRecorder.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”