1.0.3 Constant Crash on XP

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
SFDJ
New Cone
New Cone

1.0.3 Constant Crash on XP

Postby SFDJ » 08 Dec 2009 23:54

Ever since I updated to the new 1.0.3.... it constantly crashes on "Both" my XP machines for no apparent reason while the files would play totally fine w/ Media Player Classic...

I've been a loyal VLC user for years ( and referred most my friends to use it), but this release is the most unstable one I've encountered. A couple friends of mine are also having the exact same problem... Crashing A Lot!!..... :cry:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: 1.0.3 Constant Crash on XP

Postby VLC_help » 09 Dec 2009 13:18

Does it help if you remove %appdata%\vlc folder?

bcherry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bcherry » 07 Jan 2010 02:30

I'm having the same problem. As soon as I double click the VLC icon on my desktop it gives me a message saying it crashed.

spdygnlz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spdygnlz » 05 Apr 2010 05:55

I am also having the same problem. I deleted the %appdata%\vlc folder and it worked one time. When I closed VLC and tried again, it crashed. I can consistently delete that settings folder and get it to work one time, but the next time I try to open VLC, I get the crash. I looked in that folder and every time there's a 0 byte crashdump file, so no help there. What else can I try? (I have XPpro SP3)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Apr 2010 17:30

spdygnlz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spdygnlz » 06 Apr 2010 07:26

Sorry, I don't quite understand your response. Do you mean that I have different modules selected and I need to select the same or that I have the same ones and I need to select different ones?

Anyway, I tried many different combinations to no avail. I keep getting the crash.

One interesting thing that I noticed this time is that after I successfully open VLC, close it, and try to open it again, it does nothing the first time. What I mean by that is that I double click on the icon and I don't see any windows, dialogs, nothing. I opened Task Manager to see if the process even starts and I couldn't see it. (I'm assuming it probably does start, but it's just too fast to show in the list.) After that first glitch, it throws up the error dialog every time.

spdygnlz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spdygnlz » 10 Apr 2010 23:39

I think I may have found the offending setting. If I uncheck the "Activate update notifier" in the Privacy / Network Interaction section under the Interface Settings, I no longer see the crash. I believe this is the same checkbox that you are presented with the first time you start up labeled "Activate the updates availability notification". Turning that off fixes my problem.

I thought that perhaps it was my firewall squashing an outgoing connection or something, but I turned the firewall off and it didn't make a difference. At least now I can run it more than once.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Apr 2010 15:27

VLC shouldn't crash even if that connection fails.

spdygnlz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spdygnlz » 29 Apr 2010 04:59

:) I agree. It shouldn't crash... but it does.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”